Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Bronxgirl48

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

GODZILLA (and Rodan) VS. MONSTER ZERO: Nick Adams in his Japanese period. Observing the Planet X guys spiriting Godzy and Rodan away in giant bubbles, Adams can't believe his eyes: "Gedda loada DAT!"
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Bronxgirl48 wrote:GODZILLA (and Rodan) VS. MONSTER ZERO: Nick Adams in his Japanese period. Observing the Planet X guys spiriting Godzy and Rodan away in giant bubbles, Adams can't believe his eyes: "Gedda loada DAT!"

[youtube][/youtube]

This is one of the many reasons why it is a bad movie - I just couldn't believe that TOHO did this and this is got to be the lowest (this 25 second clip) point of the movie itself. TCM rated this movie One Star and if I had it my way ... it would be half that.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Poor Godzilla, lol. Lost all dignity after his magnificently frightening introduction to the world in the original movie. (w/o Raymond Burr)

Spent the first day of my summer vacation enjoying TWO ON A GUILLOTINE. Max Steiner gives the cute rabbit its very own musical theme. For plot purposes it is deemed necessary (but highly unlikely for movie buffs to believe) that stalwart Connie Gilchrist be pushed over the housekeeper's edge by this adorable bunny who makes her run screaming from the mansion. There's a nod to Hitchcock by director William Conrad -- catch Dean and Cricket's NORTH BY NORTHWEST kiss at the nightclub.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

FLAP, 1970. Fiercely awful. Directed by Sir Carol Reed, if you can believe it.

And I thought RPM was Anthony Quinn's worst film.

"I'M PISSED OFF!"
"About what, Flapping Eagle?"
"EVERYTHING!!!!"

Shelley Winters shows up for about eight minutes, tops, as a local madam named Dorothy Bluebell who happens to be Tony's "love" interest. We are not informed if she is supposed to be Native American.

Victor Jory does an interesting turn as Walter Brennan.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I have to confess a phobia about Shelley Winters, but found it amusing that TCM slipped her 24 hours in under the wire. Maybe they thought no one would notice? (Is it possible not to notice Shirl?).

Next year, TCM,...please, could the last day of SUTS be devoted to Roscoe Karns, Jimmy Gleason, Frank McHugh or Ruth Donnelly...or one of the other dear character actors who brighten so many films?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Yay, I'm baaaaack! Thank you, moira! :D :D :D

A little of Shelley goes a long, long way. She's the only actress I know who can be whiny and frightening at the same time -- I'm thinking of WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HELEN and WHO SLEW AUNTIE ROO.

I love all those character actors you mention. James Gleason, what a treasure. I'm particularly fond of him in HERE COMES MR. JORDAN.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

"I say they're not bad movies, just misunderstood!"

Cinema Insomnia
https://www.cinemainsomnia.com/
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

RE: WHOEVER SLEW AUNTIE ROO
I saw it for the first time when TCM aired it recently as part of their “Creepy Cinema” spotlight. I was thoroughly entertained.
When Roo (Shelley Winters) was making her New Years dinner, I expected her to put the apple that she’d taken some bites out of into the bowl!

***SPOILER ALERT***
Mark Lester's character may well be the Anti-Oliver.
Moe Howard

Post by Moe Howard »

The Matt Helm series has to be some of the best bad movies out there.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Guess I must have bad taste since i unapolagetically loved two films mentioned in the original post: Penelope and Breezy.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

CinemaInternational wrote: October 25th, 2022, 2:02 pm Guess I must have bad taste since i unapolagetically loved two films mentioned in the original post: Penelope and Breezy.
I also love Penelope. I am also a fan of the Elvis movies. And I love Valley of the Dolls. I don't care. I never claimed to have "taste." I look for things that entertain, and 'Dolls' definitely fits that category for me.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Taste, schmaste!
I've got BORN TO BE BAD on in the background and it's deliciously awful -- no one in the cast is elevated to anything but overbaked indignation over Joan Fontaine's passive-aggressive machinations. She is "Cristabelle" who is described by cynical writer/lover-boy Robert Ryan as "Part Lucrezia Borgia and part Peg of my Heart". Joan Leslie and Zachary Scott round out the other intended victims including various family members. Puppet-faced Mel Ferrer is around as Cristabelle's gay painter friend. For a truly great Fontaine role and performance I suggest checking out IVY.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 26th, 2022, 11:17 am Taste, schmaste!
I've got BORN TO BE BAD on in the background and it's deliciously awful -- no one in the cast is elevated to anything but overbaked indignation over Joan Fontaine's passive-aggressive machinations. She is "Cristabelle" who is described by cynical writer/lover-boy Robert Ryan as "Part Lucrezia Borgia and part Peg of my Heart". Joan Leslie and Zachary Scott round out the other intended victims including various family members. Puppet-faced Mel Ferrer is around as Cristabelle's gay painter friend. For a truly great Fontaine role and performance I suggest checking out IVY.
I love Born to Be Bad too! I agree with everything you said here. I like that Fontaine uses her mousiness to be passive aggressive.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Yes, that's Joan's stock-in-trade, her mousiness -- modest, gauche, understated classic wardrobes (I'm particularly a fan of those twin sets and pearls in REBECCA. So elegantly tweedy, British countryside chic) Poor Robert Ryan, Joan Leslie and Zachary Scott, stuck in this hokey turkey, certainly not their finest hours. Oddly only Mel Ferrer seems to be truly enjoying himself, lol.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

HoldenIsHere wrote: October 24th, 2022, 9:33 pm RE: WHOEVER SLEW AUNTIE ROO
I saw it for the first time when TCM aired it recently as part of their “Creepy Cinema” spotlight. I was thoroughly entertained.
When Roo (Shelley Winters) was making her New Years dinner, I expected her to put the apple that she’d taken some bites out of into the bowl!

***SPOILER ALERT***
Mark Lester's character may well be the Anti-Oliver.
I watched the film again a while back and was reminded of my favorite line. The kids are locked in the closet. Shelley Winters is cooking in the kitchen. The little girl speaks to her. Shelly replies, in her best Brooklyn accent: "You mustn't disturb the cook when she's making something delicious!"

Am I remembering correctly that Mark Lester's character is a sadistic little kid, and the implication is that he's going to be a monster as an adult?

Who is the real villain/witch in this film?