Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by movieman1957 »

I am shocked! shocked! that you read this at work!
Moira. If I didn't do that I wouldn't have any fun during the day.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:
I am shocked! shocked! that you read this at work!
Moira. If I didn't do that I wouldn't have any fun during the day.
:D :lol: :wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh, this is the funniest series of posts I've read in a long long time. Thanks for the laughs!
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

I've seen it! And I'm so glad I did! Is LOVE HAS MANY FACES an undiscovered masterpiece? Well, not exactly. Everything Moira and Larry said is true. Maven, SueSue, I do hope you recorded this. Larry is right that Hugh O'Brian and Ruth Roman are the main reasons for seeing the film, along with Lana's wardrobe. Moira is so right that bazillions spent on Lana's wardrobe = Virginia Grey in a poncho. Most of Hugh O'Brian's wardrobe is swimsuits. But how is this a bad idea? Wonder if the wardrobe department competed to supervise his costume fittings.

Ruth Roman is a hoot, and she hijacks the film. Too bad this didn't lead to a bigger career as a character actress. She'd have been great on a Dallas or Dynasty playing a character like this. I first saw her on Strangers on a Train and wasn't impressed. Then Bitter Victory, a little better but not enough. But who was this actress with the same name in The Far Country who was so good, so interesting? Same with Great Day in the Morning. Maybe she needed to be cast as the "good bad girl."

The theme for the 2012 TCM Film Festival is Style. Will Maven and SueSue try to re-create some of Lana's looks in this film? Her clothes, I mean--the poor girl seems nearly comatose, although she's a stunning clotheshorse. Would the zebra-striped beach wrap, Lana's first costume in the film, be perfect for Maven? Would the white evening gown with sparklies work for SueSue? Who wants to replicate the fabulous party outfit that at first seems to be a sari-ish evening gown, but on closer inspection proves to be shorts, a halter top, and a matching floor-length wrap, which could probably also be worn as a mid-thigh mantilla. No one would want to come as Stephanie Powers in this film. The bouffant 'do doesn't help, and neither does anything else.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Ruth Roman's career is a mystery. Dark and beautiful; a competent actress, if nothing more. Why did this lovely, intriguing woman not make a big splash? Or if she did, why so short-lived? I haven't even seen much of her work. A western or two. Some TV. I'd actually forgotten about STRANGERS ON A TRAIN! By all logical expectations, she should have achieved greater success.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

I forgot to mention that, although there is a forgettable title song, a number of years later Joni Mitchell wrote a lovely song called Love Has Many Faces. No relation to the film, but if you like her music, you'll probably like the song.

Although Cliff Robertson is a most unlikely cabana boy, ex or otherwise, he does do the self-loathing thing pretty well, even if he can't challenge William Holden in that department.

Moira is right about the Hugh O'Brian character not liking women much, a pitfall of the gigolo profession. If you watch how the scene at his studio where he talks to his young G.I.T. (Gigolo in Training) buddy is filmed, you might think the filmmakers are hinting at something he might, for the moment, like better.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

How dare you impugn the character of Wyatt Earp, U. S. Marshal?
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

It's a brave, courageous, and bold scene.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

I'm not sure what happened to Ruth Roman after 1956; but she was never the same after the Andrea Doria tragedy. She and her son nearly lost their lives in the sinking and she was separated for over a day from him, thinking he was drowned.
I have heard that she was supposed to take over from Rosalind Russell in "Auntie Mame" on Broadway, but she went to pieces - that's just a rumour though, not verifiable...

Not too familiar with her career but she did turn up on TV occaisionally...
Good actress; strong voice!!

Larry
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Can anyone comment re: either Woman's World (1954) or Madison Avenue (1962)? I seem to remember seeing the latter but I can't remember. Both give me the impression that they might fit this category.

I'm eager to finish with school so that I can finally sit down and enjoy several "so bad they're good" treats that I've managed to locate. Besides Rome Adventure, Claudelle Inglish, The Bramble Bush, and The Chapman Report, I also recently found a copy of Sincerely Yours, the notorious Liberace vehicle.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

"Sincerely Yours" is a really good bad movie; I think it killed Liberace's movie career - did he actually have one??

Another one you might enjoy is "Serenade" with Mario Lanza in good singing voice but bad acting and Joan Fontaine as an elegant b-i-t-c-h sweeping through the film in a wardrobe Lana probably disgarded from her picture!!! The films were made a decade apart, so try and figure that one out.....

Larry
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I did not know about Ruth Roman and the Andrea Doria. Most unfortunate.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

I'm posting this commentary on LA LOI (THE LAW, aka WHERE THE HOT WIND BLOWS, dir. Jules Dassin) (1959) both in the foreign films thread and in Bad Movies We Love, because it has something to offer both audiences. The 6 imdb reviews make fun reading, especially the insightful one from plaidpotato, who notes that THE LAW is somewhere between a Hollywood soap opera and a European art film, with dashes of sexploitation. You might also enjoy seeing the film's poster on imdb, which makes Gina Lollobrigida's chest even more prominent than Mother Nature did. (One of the other posters, from Costa Rica, struggles with English, mentioning that one of Gina's films he'd like to own is "The hung back of Notre Dame." But I digress.)

Most of the film was shot on location in a Italian fishing village in Puglia (Apulia), and most of the actors are Italian, but it's a French-language film. The family (and other) relationships are sometimes murky. I never quite grasped who all the women in Don Cesare's household were, but it didn't matter. Don Cesare (Pierre Brasseur) runs the town, where all the men lust after the virginial-but-not-for-long Mariette (Gina) and all the women hate her. She has her eye on the handsome young agronomist from Milan (Marcello Mastroianni, in sort of a Wendell Corey role, but Marcello is no Wendell Corey). For connoisseurs of great subtitles: "You'd prefer the agronomist?" Yves Montand plays Brigante, the local gangster, who also lusts after Mariette. His handsome young son (Raf Mattioli) only has eyes for the judge's wife, a blonde Melina Mercouri.

Most of the Bad Movies We Love moments come early in the film, especially the scene where the other women tie Gina to the kitchen table and whip her, though she shows nary a scratch. Guys, I'm not making this up. Much more somber is the scene where Marcello is introduced to the local game of "La Loi": one of the men is the boss; he picks an assistant boss; and then humiliates the others in a drinking game. If you're thinking Darwinian, you're on the right track. One person makes the law, and the others follow it. By the end of the film we'll see who can emerge as the one who makes the law.

Dassin is fortunate to have as cinematographer Otello Martelli, who shot some of Fellini's early masterpieces. The best-directed scenes are perhaps the one where Gina makes a bed of grain sacks for herself and Marcello (Gina can act! you might not have thought so from early in the film) and the scene where Montand's son is on the bus ready to escape, but through the window we can see his father. Gina has exactly the kind of beauty necessary for the role, and the other stars all come through with fine performances. I also particularly liked Paolo Stoppa as Tonio, Don Cesare's stone-faced servant, who is humiliated in the game of "la loi."
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Ruth Roman was someone that my Mom always was impressed with for some reason,Larry. I remember seeing her on Burke's Law, The Long, Hot Summer(we never missed that one), and in the 80's, she was on Knots Landing and several episodes of Murder, She Wrote.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2020
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

For you who are interested in Ruth Roman, there is one of her films on Tuesday, the 22nd - "Joe Macbeth".... I remember seeing this on "The Late, Late Show" in LA in the 60's and thought she and Paul Douglas were very good.

Larry