October 2011 on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: October 2011 on TCM

Post by moira finnie »

Dang! The only thing I can find is October 1st! Hope that the upcoming month shows up soon. I'm glad that a Zachapalooza and Fochapalooza are on their ways, though it would be nice to know more. I should learn patience. I've always wanted to see Bitter Rice too!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I've always wanted to see Bitter Rice too!
Same here.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oooh, a Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. day....
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

THE SEVENTH VICTIM is a haunting Val Lewton chiller. Sad and poetic. Literally. John Donne is quoted to great effect. THE SET-UP is one of the great no budget noirs. Has confinement and intimacy ever been better used?

Your list of lesser known noirs intrigues me. NIGHTFALL is the only one I've seen. Good Jacques Tourneur film, though not on the level with the director's best.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

The 25th -- 10pm (EST, I assume) -- WE CAN"T GO HOME AGAIN -- Nicholas Ray's last film -- it's gotta be better than my copy -- this comes close to being the world premiere of CITIZEN KANE or (fill in the blank). Like JOHNNY GUITAR, it is an absolute masterpiece -- to be cherished or reviled.

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... ope#p76303
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

JackFavell wrote:
I've always wanted to see Bitter Rice too!
Same here.

You guys should have called me years ago! Hopefully, it's a new transfer.

Some interesting Dassin films, The 1965 version of She (has TCM ever shown the original?), a nice Mr. Moto movie (how 'bout playing the rest of 'em?), and it's always great to see Carnival of Souls on the Halloween schedule.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Pretty good month - many expected titles, as it's Halloween month.

I'll probably make another try to do my William Castle informative speech for Toastmasters again this year, as there's a double feature of House on Haunted Hill and The Tingler scheduled for one day that month, plus Strait Jacket for another evening, and I can encourage everyone to give them a go. Even without the gimmicks, these are all fun little films.

The two highlights for me will be (1) Sitting Pretty (1948), which I've been waiting for several years to finally get a decent copy of (my old AMC dub to DVD-R is awful) and (2) Youngblood Hawke (1964), which I hope will be shown in widescreen. No, still no Claudelle Inglish, but this last month I was finally able to track that one down so I can at least see it.

Quite a good little month. Seems to be bit more variety than Octobers of years past.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

She Freak? She Freak? The grindhouse remake of Browning's Freaks? Bad doesn't begin to describe this film. TCM, I love you.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'd love to see Bitter Rice.

The Savage Innocents has been released over here if anyone is desperate to watch it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree about the 1930's SHE - I would love to see it, but it isn't the original.

Also here's a second vote for Mr. Moto.... I just loved these when I was a kid, and it was my first introduction to Peter Lorre. He was great. Wish they'd show the entire series.

Happy to see the Robert Ryan films, the Yves Montand day, and I am really looking forward to seeing SHOCKPROOF.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Include me in with the gang looking forward to BITTER RICE - been wanting to see this for a few years now,(since I discovered Raf Vallone) and I see that it is out on Region 2 DVD. Someone has also posted it on Youtube, but no subtitles! I'll be recording this in October.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

SHE (1965)...Granted, I was awfully young. But this movie is REALLY dull! When an eleven year-old boy is bored with Ursula Andress, there's a definite problem!

Always good to spend Halloween with William Castle. The very mention of STRAIT JACKET makes me smile. It's one of the director's best. Back to that young boy in the 1960's, my friends and I saw LET'S KILL UNCLE in a theatre. A more recent viewing reveals some shortcomings in this odd little thriller. But on a Saturday afternoon, as a double bill with one of the Hammer films, it scared the doo-doo out of us. Pardon my language!