Joel McCrea: May Star of the Month on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
RedRiver

Re: Joel McCrea: May Star of the Month on TCM

Post by RedRiver »

About a year ago, I caught this sweet little drama on TCM. First time I'd seen it in fifty years! If you think Stanwyck aged, you should see me!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

King, such detailed insight on Rockabye. I wish I could have stayed up for that one. It sounds so intriguing, and the clarity of your play-by-play is intriguing. I never knew McCrea and Bennett were an "item," but it always makes for good on-screen chemistry.

I just marveled at her aged appearance and the ease with which Stanwyck moved in such sync with an extraordinary role like she did. And it is often ironic, according to what her biographers claim, that she is cast in motherly roles considering how she reared Dion Fay, her adopted son. I think he had to sue to claim part of Frank Fay''s estate.

As for your comment, Red River---- :lol:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
mrsl

COME AND GET IT

Post by mrsl »

COME AND GET IT!!!

This was a completely new movie to me. I never heard of it before, or saw any promos for it. I'm really glad I decided to DVR it so I could enjoy it this a.m. This is the first movie in a long time which has come along that made me want it to continue and tell me more about what happened later.

The blurb in the cable guide was so confusing, I reread it about 3 times and still wasn't sure if I got it right. Edward Arnold (Mr. live action version of a child's rubber ball), was a lumber jack who was devoted to making good, no matter how he managed to get to the top. In this one hes romancing a lovely cabaret singer, and truly loves her, but gives her up to marry the bosses daughter. How in the world this guy managed to get all the lover boy parts he did is beyond my comprehension, he truly looks like a rubber roly poly ball with legs and arms attached. Anyway, his best friend marries her instead and they part ways for 20-some years. But in he meantime, they manage to have a daughter who is the perfect image of her mother. When Papa Edward sees the daughter, he immediately falls back in love with the clone that she is of her mother. Joel Mc Crea is one of Edward's sons and when he lays eyes on Lotta, he too falls, but in his case the feelings are mutual, which makes Pa Pa Edward jealous. That's all I'm saying for now in case it's on again soon and you get a chance to record it yourself, which I recommend. BTW the ending is expected but still breaks off at a point where I wanted to learn more about their future. It's a fine little movie, based on a book by Edna Ferber so how bad can that be?

The bio in imdB doesn't say so, but on screen, there was a credit card showing as directors: William Wyler and Howard Hawks - again, you can't get much better than that!!!

So I do suggest you try to catch it again some time because I think you'll like it.

Any comments from anyone else who has seen it?

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Interesting fun movie trivia- the book the movie is taken from, the Edward Arnold character (and his family) is based on a branch of director Howard Hawks family.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Come and Get It is a real gem, Anne! One of those movies you have to discover on your own, because it seems that no one has written about it. I saw it a few years back because MissGoddess had mentioned it, I believe.

How did you like Walter Brennan, before he became ubiquitous in character roles? When I watched it the first time, I almost didn't recognize him!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I am way behind on my Joel movies but am trying to get caught up.

I just saw Common Law another one of those nifty pre-codes starring Joel and Constance Bennett. I so wanted Hedda Hopper to get a comeuppance but alas the director and writer thought it more important for slimey Lew Cody to get beat up by Joel. Not nearly as satisfying.

Up next The Barbary Coast. Triple score for me- Joel, Harry Carey and Howard Hawks!

I'll be back!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Barbary Coast was a lot of fun. Miriam Hopkins seemed to do an inordinate amount of acting with her eyebrows in this one. But Eddie G was terrific as the gambler who owns most of gold rush San Francisco and Harry Carey was his usual solid self as the man trying to oust Eddie G from his seat of power. And Walt Brennan, as always, plays a great sidekick. Lots of great character actors rounding out the cast.

Joel McCrea was very handsome and quite good as the poetry writing/reading gold miner who falls hard for Miriam and her eyebrows.

Up next, The Great Man's Lady with another triple score- Joel, Barbara and William Wellman!

I'll be back!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I've only watched the first third of The Great man's Lady, but the beginning is smashing. Wow! Such chemistry between Joel and Barbara.... I can't wait to watch the rest of it.

Barbary Coast is a favorite, and I still haven't watched the other Connie Bennett/Joel movies. Lynn, have you seen Bed of Roses yet?
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Jacks,

Not yet but Roses is on my DVR just waiting for me.

Great Man's Lady is quite good and kingrat nailed it when he called Brian Donlevy's character the "Ralph Bellamy" role. It may be one of the most sympathetic roles I've ever seen Donlevy in.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm still kicking myself for missing The Great Man's Lady which has been a favorite of mine for a long time. Like Greer Garson, Barbara Stanwck takes to aging make up like she does to corset dresses. I have a hard time deciding which I like better, this one or The Presidents Lady about Stonewall Jackson. with Charleton Heston and Susan Hayward. In any case the chemistry as you said is superb between Joel and Barbara, and that young girl who played the reporter was so sweet. I also failed to mention Walter Brennan who won a Supporting Actor award for this one. As usual, he steals every scene he's in, but who can help loving Walter? As I've stated before however, I wonder if Walter was ever young? Even in his 30's he played guys with no teeth, and 2 or 3 days old beard scraggle which all joined to make him look older, but no matter what he was one of the greatest character actors ever.
Anne

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I looked forward to UNION PACIFIC, hoping it would have the boisterous spirit of THE PLAINSMAN or the rousing drama of THE BUCCANEER. It doesn't quite achieve those things, and for that reason, I was disappointed. It is a pretty good western, with a fine cast and an intriguing premise. It just didn't get to me as my favorite DeMille adventures do.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Now that the Month of May is nearly over, I just want to say, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Joel McCrea in all the movies they played. Whether he was starring or co-starring, he always gives a pleasing performance. I have a lot on my DVR and I'm still working to learn how to put it on my own private DVD. In fact I've had Trooper Hook on my DVR list for nearly a year trying to learn how to work my VCR/DVR. My friend figured out how to copy from video to disc, but we're both working on from directly on TV to disc.
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I wanted to take this opportunity to say "Thank you" to TCMProgrammr and the programming staff. I am really enjoying Joel as SOTM. I must admit, I am behind in my viewing but my DVR is filled almost to the brim with Joel movies.

I've seen a number of his films over the years, especially the westerns but whoever curated this month did a terrific job of mixing classic McCrea movies with rarely seen or in some cases hardly known gems. The group of pre-codes he did with Connie Bennett have been so enjoyable! Joel was quite the handsome young man and the chemistry between the two of them lit up the screen quite often!

The days are winding down for Joel's celebration but I'll be watching his movies well into June.

So, thank you TCMProgrammr and everyone involved for not only honoring Joel (and Robert O mentioning the McCrea foundation, the ranch and the new visitor's center made my heart sing) but for also putting together a terrific line-up of his films.

I am truly grateful.
Lynn in Lake Balboa