Mary Astor, SOTM??

Discussion of programming on TCM.
RedRiver

Re: Mary Astor, SOTM??

Post by RedRiver »

DODSWORTH is a fine, mature drama. No zombies!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I love Mary in this. She's so self-possessed and quiet within herself. Mary can do ANYthing.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

March 12, 10 pm ET is one of my favorites of her films, Across The Pacific. It isn't an especially great movie, but the chemistry between Bogart and her is knockout funny to me. It is as if they were trying to outdo each other with zingers, and it seems fresh, not scripted. If you haven't seen this one, give it a try.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Brian McFadden

Post by Brian McFadden »

Yes, Mary Astor was excellent in Dodsworth and it was wonderful to see her in The Great Lie on TCM last night too. This is the film for which she received an Oscar as Best Supporting Actress. She was so good in any role she played!
Brian
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

KnitWit, I totally agree about ACROSS THE PACIFIC. Not one of the great ones, but fast and fun!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

THE MORE, THE MARY-ER

You can catch Mary Astor with Bogart tonite:
[u][color=#FF0000]knitwit45[/color][/u] wrote:March 12, 10 pm ET is one of my favorites of her films, Across The Pacific. It isn't an especially great movie, but the chemistry between Bogart and her is knockout funny to me. It is as if they were trying to outdo each other with zingers, and it seems fresh, not scripted. If you haven't seen this one, give it a try.
_________

RICARDO RICARDO RICARDO

If you like Ricardo Cortez ( and I for one do ) you can triple your pleasure by watching him do his pre-code thing ( at least twice ) with Mary Astor on Thursday morning starting at 5:30am.

5:30 AM - THE MURDER OF DR. HARRIGAN ( 1936 ) - A doctor investigates the murder of a colleague involved in experimental surgery. Dir: Frank McDonald. Cast:  Ricardo Cortez, Kay Linaker, John Eldredge, Mary Astor. BW-67 mins.

6:45 AM - THE MAN WITH TWO FACES ( 1934 ) - An actor uses his skills to protect his sister from her sinister husband. Dir: Archie Mayo. Cast:  Edward G. Robinson, Mary Astor, Ricardo Cortez. BW-73 mins.

9:30 AM - BEHIND OFFICE DOORS ( 1931 ) - An under-appreciated secretary finds a new job and takes her former boss's success with her. Dir: Melville Brown. Cast:  Mary Astor, Robert Ames, Ricardo Cortez. BW-82 mins.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Tonight (June 4th) there was a wonderful tribute to Mary Astor.

June Allyson and Margaret O'Brien gave gracious reviews of working with her and there were many clips of Astor's old movies.
The both described her as beautiful and gracious and a thorough professional.

I was thrilled that my old friend was portrayed so marvellously.
I can only hope & wish that Agnes Moorehead gets the same presentation. Only problem is that most of her co-stars are now dead. Debbie Reynolds and Margaret O'Brien and perhaps Carroll Baker could be interviewed.

Larry
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Also, Erin Murphy who played Tabitha on Bewitched could also be interviewed.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

An interesting topic. The June Allyson interview that aired as part of the Mary Astor tribute in June must have been taped several years ago, as Miss Allyson has been gone quite a while; which should mean that a tribute to AM could include older interviews as well. I know many former co-stars have been interviewed about AM in the past, but generally not on camera. If the co-stars are not limited to film, but could include those who worked with her in other media such as television (Erin Murphy) and theater, then some others still with us include Clint Eastwood, Tuesday Weld, William Shatner, Carol Lynley, James Earl Jones, Sandahl Bergman, and Brian Bedford. And from films we still have such co-stars as Jerry Lewis, Hayley Mills, Jill St. John (film and tv), Robert Wagner, Angie Dickinson, Kim Novak, Eva Marie Saint, and Katharine Ross. But these actors, some quite elderly now, worked with AM once or twice a long time ago, and may not have much detailed memory of her.

Of this whole lot, I would guess the ones with the best memories of AM might be Brian Bedford and Sandahl Bergman, as they worked with her for several months in plays, on the road and in New York.

Actually, James Earl Jones was interviewed about AM on camera, briefly, in 2010:

[youtube][/youtube]