TCM April 2014 Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
MissGoddess

Re: TCM April 2014 Schedule

Post by MissGoddess »

Erik I'm so glad you enjoyed the Gable movies...Mogambo is my favorite after GWTW. It's a rich, luscious film and I especially loved Ava's "Honey Bear Kelly" character. I feel it was the best acting she ever did.

Christy---I looked at your list of films chosen by the programmers...I take it that's the overall list that they took from...I haven't actually had time to read over anything so I'm curious who will be introducing GWTW since it was my own choice?
:D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MissGoddess wrote:Erik I'm so glad you enjoyed the Gable movies...Mogambo is my favorite after GWTW. It's a rich, luscious film and I especially loved Ava's "Honey Bear Kelly" character. I feel it was the best acting she ever did.

Miss Goddess - The more I think about it - I really enjoyed Ava's character in this movie as Eloise Y. Kelly - she puts on a great performance and I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment here.
Last edited by Rita Hayworth on April 26th, 2014, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

My feelings are a little different. I like MOGAMBO. It's glamorous and adventurous. But RED DUST is cleaner and faster. It establishes characters and conflicts clearly and efficiently, and keeps them rolling, as was the standard in the 1930s. Big John Ford fan that I am, I think Victor Fleming did a better job with this story.

"That's just Old Joe. He hangs around here all the time!"
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

In tribute to Mickey Rooney, TCM has announced 24 hours of programming devoted to his movies on Sunday, April 13th. All times shown below are ET:

13 Sunday

6:00 AM
BROADWAY TO HOLLYWOOD (1933)
Three generations of vaudevillians fight for stardom on stage and screen.
Dir: Willard Mack Cast: Alice Brady , Frank Morgan , Jackie Cooper .
BW-85 mins, CC,

7:30 AM
DEVIL IS A SISSY, THE (1936)
A British boy in New York tries to join a tenement gang.
Dir: W. S. Van Dyke Cast: Freddie Bartholomew , Jackie Cooper , Mickey Rooney .
BW-92 mins, CC,

9:15 AM
FAMILY AFFAIR, A (1936)
In the first Hardy Family film, a small-town judge fights for re-election while dealing with family problems.
Dir: George B. Seitz Cast: Lionel Barrymore , Cecilia Parker , Eric Linden .
BW-69 mins, CC,

10:30 AM
YOU'RE ONLY YOUNG ONCE (1938)
Andy Hardy and his sister find romance during a family vacation in Catalina.
Dir: George B. Seitz Cast: Lewis Stone , Cecilia Parker , Mickey Rooney .
BW-78 mins, CC,

12:00 PM
CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS (1937)
A spoiled rich boy is lost at sea and rescued by a fishing boat, where hard work and responsibility help him become a man.
Dir: Victor Fleming Cast: Freddie Bartholomew , Spencer Tracy , Lionel Barrymore .
BW-117 mins, CC,

2:00 PM
ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN, THE (1939)
Mark Twain's classic troublemaker helps a runaway slave escape to the North.
Dir: Richard Thorpe Cast: Mickey Rooney , Walter Connolly , William Frawley .
BW-91 mins, CC,

3:45 PM
HUMAN COMEDY, THE (1943)
A small-town telegraph boy deals with the strains of growing up during World War II.
Dir: Clarence Brown Cast: Mickey Rooney , Frank Morgan , James Craig .
BW-117 mins, CC,

6:00 PM
KILLER MCCOY (1947)
A lightweight boxer gets mixed up in murder.
Dir: Roy Rowland Cast: Mickey Rooney , Brian Donlevy , Ann Blyth .
BW-104 mins, CC,

8:00 PM
BOYS TOWN (1938)
True story of Father Flanagan's fight to build a home for orphaned boys.
Dir: Norman Taurog Cast: Spencer Tracy , Mickey Rooney , Henry Hull .
BW-93 mins, CC,

10:00 PM
MEN OF BOYS TOWN (1941)
Father Flanagan continues to fight for his pioneering orphanage.
Dir: Norman Taurog Cast: Spencer Tracy , Mickey Rooney , Bobs Watson .
BW-106 mins, CC,

12:00 AM
NATIONAL VELVET (1944)
A British farm girl fights to train a difficult horse for the Grand National Steeplechase.
Dir: Clarence Brown Cast: Mickey Rooney , Donald Crisp , Elizabeth Taylor .
C-124 mins, CC,

2:15 AM
BABES ON BROADWAY (1941)
Show-biz hopefuls stage a benefit for an orphanage.
Dir: Busby Berkeley Cast: Mickey Rooney , Judy Garland , Fay Bainter .
BW-118 mins, CC,

4:30 AM
MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM, A (1935)
Shakespeare's classic about two pairs of lovers and an amateur actor who get mixed up with fairies.
Dir: Max Reinhardt Cast: Ian Hunter , Verree Teasdale , Hobart Cavanaugh .
BW-143 mins, CC,
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I will be watching most of these movies and looking forward seeing HUCKLEBERRY FINN on that day!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MONDAY, APRIL 14, 2014
TCM PRIMETIME - WHAT'S ON TONIGHT: TCM MEMORIAL TRIBUTE: TCM 20TH ANNIVERSARY

Private Screenings: Robert Osborne (2014)
TCM host Robert Osborne sits down with Alec Baldwin to discuss Osborne's life and career.

It's on after GONE WITH THE WIND starting at Midnight and if you have DVR - I would strongly recommend you record this 74 Minute recap of his life at TCM that he shared with Alec Baldwin. It's a must see for everyone here that loves to know of how he got started with TCM.

Fascinating Show I say ...
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I just watched the ROBERT OSBORNE thing that was on last night off of my DVR and I was very much entertained by all this and his joys of working there ... and his history with TCM. This is the 2nd time I have seen it and I enjoyed it more than ever. :)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Some good (or at least interesting) films this week.

Monday, April 28th is Lionel Barrymore's 136th birthday. To celebrate, the following early Lionel films are on tap. Maybe it is just me, but aren't Looking Forward & Sweepings almost the same movie with the department store settings??:

West of Zanzibar (1928)
Unholy Night, The (1929)
Free and Easy (1930)
Guilty Hands (1931)
Arsene Lupin (1932)
Looking Forward (1933)
Night Flight (1933)
Should Ladies Behave? (1933)
Sweepings (1933)

Some of Samuel Fuller's best films are up on Tuesday, April 28th during the day:
I Shot Jesse James (1949)
Baron Of Arizona, The (1950)
The Steel Helmet (1951)
Run Of The Arrow (1957)
Verboten! (1958)
Merrill's Marauders (1962)
Shock Corridor (1963)
The Naked Kiss (1964)

April 30th primetime features a "threepeat" of Walter Pidgeon movies, including the best role of his career. Robert Osborne picked the films:
Man Hunt (1940-Fritz Lang)
Glorious fantasy about a hunter who stalks the biggest game in the world. Great stuff from Lang, with Joan Bennett and George Sanders giving outstanding work in support of dreamy Walter P. Look for Roddy McDowall in a small but delightful role in which he and Pidgeon exchange views on women and life.

Holiday in Mexico (1946-George Sidney):
Walter Pidgeon & Jane Powell are the stars, but this woozy musical has to be seen to be believed. Somehow they whipped up Ilona Massey's mitteleuropean air with Jose Iturbi, Xavier Cugat and his chihuahua, resulting in a colorful, if unbelievable froth. I think this is the loopy movie that features Roddy McDowall in his aviator cap and goggles.

It's a Date (1940-William Seiter):
The ol' chestnut about the actress (Kay Francis) whose teenage daughter (Deanna Durbin) falls for the older man (Walter Pidgeon) who is also involved with Mom. Fun, musically good, but gently idiotic, and you must see this if you are an aficionado of Kay Francis wardrobe changes.

Late Night Lulus:

A wondrously Bad Movie Some of Us Love is on at 3am (ET) on April 29th with Vincente Minnelli going back to the well he tapped in The Bad and the Beautiful--though this time he and the lost but game cast are at play in the backlot at Cinecitta and the flesh pots of Rome:
Two Weeks in Another Town (1962)

Mandalay (1934) with Lyle Talbot and Ricardo Cortez vying for the soul and body of Kay Francis is not to be missed at 4:15am (ET) on the April 30th overnight schedule.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks