Western Guy

Re: Summer Under the Stars August 2014 Schedule on TCM

Post by Western Guy »

TWO-MINUTE WARNING.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Ooh, Stone, I have only gotten as far as Skyjacked in that sub-genre~but I think I have Two Minute Warning in my queue. Can I get back to you with my impressions?!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Absolutely Moira. While not particularly a critic's favorite, I find TWO-MINUTE WARNING one of the most effectively suspenseful of the 70s "disaster" films. Terrific cast and really an edge-of-your-seat story. Won't say anything more, but, yes, please take a look and let me know of your impressions.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thanks for the interstitial on Walter Pidgeon, Moira. I missed it the day his films were on. A handsome leading man, with a deep melodic voice. He was a character actor in a leading man's persona. Or a leading man...in a character actor's persona. Dreamy? Yeah.

Many French actresses have come through movies. You can count me a fan of many of them. But I'd have to say JEANNE MOREAU is my favorite. I find there is a deep mystery about her.

She doesn't smile a lot. And I kind of prefer that about her. But when she does and she's been won over...
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

WG, Bogie as a Mexican bandito? You mean he gets to say something like "We don't need no stinkin' badges?" Cagney looking like a mushroom in TOK, lol! Didn't even city-boy John Garfield travel south of the border? Then there's Wisconsin-born Spence as a Portuguese fisherman (and winning an Oscar, no less) plus TORTILLA FLAT (Garfield again?) But now see, it's easy for me to imagine an Aussie home on the range, because the culture has that sort of rugged American-ish pioneer spirit. Thank you so much for that terrific link, I love the interview!!

moira, remember me telling you about Walter's ever-present (possibly worn as a lucky charm) pinky ring? You can see it in that interstitial! In every clip! I missed SWEET KITTY BELLAIRS and I wonder if he wore it in that costume drama...

Recorded THE FIRE WITHIN and BAY OF THE ANGELS. I understand the locations are Versailles and the Cote D'Azur, respectively, which is as you know an added bonus for me in addition to the great Jeanne Moreau.

I'm very, very upset. This is the second time I missed LA NOTTE. I'm praying it's on YouTube.
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on August 8th, 2014, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Well, Bronxie, who can figure out the casting of yesteryear? Paul Muni as a Chinese - not to mention George Raft in LIMEHOUSE BLUES !! What about Karloff, Lugosi and Lorre as Asians? Bogie not only as a Mexican bandit (replete with pencil-line mustachio) but an Irish stable groom (in DARK VICTORY).

Yes, John Garfield "The Latin from Manhattan" as General Porfirio Diaz in JUAREZ. Fortunately the cast is so star-laden Garfield doesn't come across too badly.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Skylark and Remember The Day are both worth the time.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Beau Brummell ain't got nuthin' on this guy:

And Beau Brummell never had Harlow, Lombard or Loy.

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Western Guy wrote:Well, Bronxie, who can figure out the casting of yesteryear? Paul Muni as a Chinese - not to mention George Raft in LIMEHOUSE BLUES !! What about Karloff, Lugosi and Lorre as Asians? Bogie not only as a Mexican bandit (replete with pencil-line mustachio) but an Irish stable groom (in DARK VICTORY).

Yes, John Garfield "The Latin from Manhattan" as General Porfirio Diaz in JUAREZ. Fortunately the cast is so star-laden Garfield doesn't come across too badly.
JackFavell and I chatted previously about certain actors/actresses with high cheekbones who played Asians. That also includes Katherine Hepburn in DRAGON SEED, lol.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Warner Oland, Sidney Toler . . . etc.

Seems the only time a real honest to goodness Asian was cast was when the studios wanted to present that culture in a villainous light. Then it was Philip Ahn and the like.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

John Wayne as Genghis Khan :shock:
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Still reeling over the death of Lauren Bacall. But wanted to mention Cary Grant's day on TCM:

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I've been away from SSO and, actually, I haven't been looking in on TCM regularly for some time either.

So far, I haven't given SOTS as much attention as I thought I would. The offerings of many days are films I've seen zillions of times and don't necessarily want to watch again. On the other hand, giving days to actors like Gladys George and Edmund O'Brien will open up new doors for me. I don't think I'd be able to bear more than 10 minutes of Lee Tracy, though -- I find him very hard to take.

I see that there's been some talk here of tomorrow's star, Claudette Colbert. I'm a fan of Colbert, and I'm willing to watch whatever she's in. Certainly "Three Came Home" is worth a first look, or a re-visit. The movie is affecting, riveting at times, and Colbert and Hayakawa are wonderful.

I'd also recommend "Tomorrow is Forever," which is a good example of how to do a wartime soap opera-like movie with minimum mawkishness. I recall that there is a thread on this movie in here somewhere. It's beautifully acted and very moving. Colbert plays a conflicted woman very sympathetically, Orson Welles makes groan-worthy dialogue sound like Shakespeare, and what may be the most remarkable performance of all comes from little Natalie Wood, who does it with a Dutch accent. There's a rare scene early in the movie where Colbert is filmed from the right profile, instead of the left side she usually insisted on, if you're interested in making a comparison.

Anyone going to watch "Parrish" tomorrow morning? Any Troy Donohue fans left out there? When I was a kid and that movie was all the rage, we didn't even know who Claudette Colbert was. Is she the one who played Troy's mother?, we said.

I see "Green Mansions" is scheduled on Audrey Hepburn day -- I saw this when it first came out, since we all read the book in middle school. I remember being puzzled by it. Maybe it didn't make sense as a movie, maybe I was too young to get it, maybe both. I don't think it did very well. What I remember most is the climactic scene at the end -- Tony Perkins wrestling a rubber alligator. That might be worth a look.

BTW, "A Catered Affair," later in the week on Borgnine day, features my special fave, Mae Clarke, in a small role as the wedding dress maker. She spent the majority of her career playing these bit parts after a brief fling with stardom in the 30s. She maintained friendships with many producers and directors, who always managed to give her a few lines to speak so she'd be paid more and could keep up her union memberships. I think it's a lovely movie all around.