July 2014 TCM Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Rita Hayworth

Re: July 2014 TCM Schedule

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Some of my favorites:

JULY 5TH ... Story of Seabiscuit - One of my favorite Shirley Temple Movies back in 1949.
JULY 6TH ... Dangerous When Wet - Favorite Esther Williams Movie
JULY 7TH ... My Fair Lady - Hepburn/Harrison Classic
JULY 8TH ... They Met in Argentina - Maureen O'Hara Movie that I wanted to see for 20 years. A 1941 Gem.
JULY 12TH ... CARSON - Bob Hope
JULY 13TH ... Mogambo - Clark Gable, Ava Gardner, and Grace Kelly ... Loved this 1953 Movie
JULY 13TH ... Dial M for MURDER - Ray Milland and Grace Kelly Starred ... 1954 film
JULY 15TH ... Great Lineup of Maureen O'Hara Movies here.
JULY 19TH ... CARSON - Red Skelton
JULY 19TH ... Raintree County - My favorite Elizabeth Taylor Movie - 1957 Classic.
JULY 22ND ... Great Lineup of Maureen O'Hara Movies here.
JULY 25TH ... Random Harvest 1942 Movie starring Ronald Colman and Greer Garson - My favorite Colman Movie
JULY 27TH ... Charge of the LIght Brigade - Flynn/deHavilland Masterpiece - 1936 Classic (Record this one)
JULY 27TH ... The Ladykillers - One of the all time favorite comedy classic ... 1955 Movie
JULY 31ST ... Mel Brooks Movies ... I'm going to record most of these movies ... that day.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The entire July Schedule on TCM can be seen here: http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.htm ... 2014-07-01

Kingrat, Maureen O'Hara's presence in Jean Negulesco's rather charming The Forbidden Street is a real plus--though neither she nor Dana Andrews seem to have had high regard for the film. Sybil Thorndyke is unforgettable in this one too. Tonight's lineup of O'Hara flicks includes familiar touchstones in O'Hara's career such as The Hunchback of Notre Dame and her hauntingly beautiful work in How Green Was My Valley, the devastating Sentimental Journey (open a fresh box of kleenex for this one, kids), Nicholas Ray's A Woman's Secret (does anyone think that Ray understood women very well--except for Susan Hayward in The Lusty Men?), and one of the few American movies about The Spanish Civil War, The Fallen Sparrow, which was the only movie that paired her with John Garfield (and wait to see how her character develops unexpectedly). More can be seen about all 26 Maureen Movies on hand this month here.

I'm looking forward to some of other items in the TCM schedule this month too:

WWI on film is explored on Fridays in observation of the centennial of the start of that earthshaking catastrophe, starting on Independence Day. A couple of not-to-be-missed items in this lineup:
William Wellman's Heroes for Sale & William Dieterle's The Last Flight--both starring Richard Barthelemess
King and Country with Tom Courtney & Dirk Bogarde at their best
Both versions of The Dawn Patrol--The Howard Hawks original renamed Flight Commander (1930) and Edmund Goulding's The Dawn Patrol (1938) with a sublime ensemble cast led by Errol Flynn & Basil Rathbone.
They Gave Him a Gun (1937) is an interesting and obscure film that almost addresses the after-effects of the war on survivors. The movie features good work from Spencer Tracy, Franchot Tone and Gladys George (who is sort of miscast, but still appealing).
More detailed info about the many movies featured this month here.

Two Virginia Bruce films of interest are coming up, with Winner Take All among the most sensual films featuring a brash, young Cagney and seductive Bruce. Their scenes together are quite electric, even though the film is not great overall:

7/17
7:15 AM
Winner Take All (1932)
A prize fighter tries to help an invalid and her baby.
Dir: Roy Del Ruth Cast: James Cagney , Marian Nixon , Guy Kibbee, Virginia Bruce .
BW-66 mins, CC,

7/24
Stronger Than Desire (1939)
A lawyer's wife keeps mum as her husband defends an innocent woman for the crime she committed.
Dir: Leslie Fenton Cast: Virginia Bruce , Walter Pidgeon , Lee Bowman .
BW-78 mins, CC,

Lucille Bremer's MGM Swan Song:

7/17 @4am (ET)
Dark Delusion (1947): This psychological drama was another attempt to breathe life into the Dr. Kildare series after Lew Ayres left the studio when he registered as a conscientious objector at the start of WWII, this movie features Lionel Barrymore as the bete noir of another young doctor, James Craig. Lucille plays a woman facing internment in a mental institution. If you have liked Lucille Bremer in films as an actress as well as a beautiful dancer, this movie and her work in the indie Reckless (1949) are quite intriguing.

Notable Birthday Tributes in July:

7/3: George Sanders' Birthday--Someday The Private Affairs of Bel Ami (1947) might be aired again, but this is a good bunch of flims too.

6:00 AM
KING'S THIEF, THE (1955)
A highwayman uncovers a plot to assassinate King Charles II.
Dir: Robert Z. Leonard Cast: Ann Blyth , Edmund Purdom , David Niven .
C-79 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

7:30 AM
LAST VOYAGE, THE (1960)
Passengers and crew fight to escape a sinking ocean liner.
Dir: Andrew L. Stone Cast: Robert Stack , Dorothy Malone , George Sanders .
C-91 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

9:15 AM
DEATH OF A SCOUNDREL (1956)
A Czech refugee uses women to advance his business interest.
Dir: Charles Martin Cast: George Sanders , Yvonne De Carlo , Zsa Zsa Gabor .
BW-120 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

11:15 AM
MOON AND SIXPENCE, THE (1942)
Loosely inspired by the life of Gauguin, a man abandons his middle-classed life to start painting.
Dir: Albert Lewin Cast: George Sanders , Herbert Marshall , Doris Dudley .
C-89 mins, CC,

12:45 PM
VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED (1961)
After a mysterious blackout, the inhabitants of a British village give birth to emotionless, super-powered offspring.
Dir: Wolf Rilla Cast: George Sanders , Barbara Shelley , Martin Stephens .
BW-77 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

2:15 PM
JOURNEY TO ITALY (1955)
A married couple seek insight and direction within their relationship in Italy.
Dir: Roberto Rossellini Cast: Ingrid Bergman , George Sanders ,
BW-83 mins,

3:45 PM
FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT (1940)
An American reporter covering the war in Europe gets mixed up in the assassination of a Dutch diplomat.
Dir: Alfred Hitchcock Cast: Joel McCrea , Laraine Day , Herbert Marshall .
BW-120 mins, CC,

6:00 PM
PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY, THE (1945)
A man remains young and handsome while his portrait shows the ravages of age and sin.
Dir: Albert Lewin Cast: George Sanders , Hurd Hatfield , Donna Reed .
BW-110 mins, CC,

7/17:
James Cagney's Birthday: Particularly glad to see Winner Take All, Hard to Handle and Picture Snatcher in the lineup

6:00 AM
TAXI! (1932)
A feisty independent cab driver fights off a crooked syndicate.
Dir: Roy Del Ruth Cast: James Cagney , Loretta Young , George E. Stone .
BW-69 mins, CC,

7:15 AM
WINNER TAKE ALL (1932)
A prize fighter tries to help an invalid and her baby.
Dir: Roy Del Ruth Cast: James Cagney , Marian Nixon , Guy Kibbee .
BW-66 mins, CC,

8:30 AM
FOOTLIGHT PARADE (1933)
A producer fights labor problems, financiers and his greedy ex-wife to put on a show.
Dir: Lloyd Bacon Cast: James Cagney , Joan Blondell , Ruby Keeler .
BW-104 mins, CC,

10:30 AM
HARD TO HANDLE (1933)
A hustling public relations man promotes a series of fads.
Dir: Mervyn LeRoy Cast: James Cagney , Mary Brian , Allen Jenkins .
BW-78 mins, CC,

12:00 PM
LADY KILLER (1933)
A criminal on the run becomes a Hollywood movie star.
Dir: Roy Del Ruth Cast: James Cagney , Mae Clarke , Margaret Lindsay .
BW-76 mins, CC,

1:30 PM
MAYOR OF HELL, THE (1933)
A racketeer goes straight to run a reform school.
Dir: Archie Mayo Cast: James Cagney , Madge Evans , Arthur Byron .
BW-90 mins, CC,

3:15 PM
PICTURE SNATCHER (1933)
An ex-con brings his crooked ways to a job as a news photographer.
Dir: Lloyd Bacon Cast: James Cagney , Ralph Bellamy , Patricia Ellis .
BW-77 mins, CC,

4:45 PM
HERE COMES THE NAVY (1934)
A cocky naval cadet clashes with an old friend serving with him.
Dir: Lloyd Bacon Cast: James Cagney , Pat O'Brien , Gloria Stuart .
BW-87 mins, CC,

6:15 PM
JIMMY THE GENT (1934)
An unscrupulous detective makes a killing locating missing heirs.
Dir: Michael Curtiz Cast: James Cagney , Bette Davis , Allen Jenkins .
BW-68 mins, CC,

Silents:

Kiki (1926) with Norma Talmadge & Ronald Colman
A Parisian dancer vies with a glamorous actress for a producer's heart.
Dir: Clarence Brown Cast: Norma Talmadge , Ronald Colman , Gertrude Astor .
BW-97 mins,

The Cossacks (1928) with John Gilbert, Renee Adoree and Nils Asther on 7/29 at 11:45pm (ET). I saw part of this last time it aired on TCM and can't wait to see the entire looney flick.Love anything about the White Russians--even if pure fantasy. Not on video/dvd
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

My picks:

Black Moon (1975)
To escape a war between men and women, a young girl moves into a fantasy world.

Dir: Louis Malle Cast: Cathryn Harrison , Therese Giehse , Alexandra Stewart .

Journey to Italy (1955)
A married couple seek insight and direction within their relationship in Italy.
Dir: Roberto Rossellini Cast: Ingrid Bergman , George Sanders ,

The Housemaid(1960)
Drama ensues when a married music teacher hires a young maid to take care of the house.
Dir: Kim Ki-Young Cast: Lee Eun-Sim , Kim Jin-Kyu , Ju Jeung-Ryu .

Calcutta (1969)
The city of Calcutta and its 8 million inhabitants come to life.
Dir: Louis Malle Cast: Louis Malle ,

Kameradschaft (1931)
German miners defy international prejudice to rescue French miners trapped beneath their countries' borders.
Cast: Ernst Busch , Andree Ducret , Alexander Granach .

Trail of '98, The (1928)
San Francisco boys risk their lives to scout gold in the Klondike.
Dir: Clarence Brown Cast: Dolores Del Rio , Ralph Forbes , Karl Dane .

For the Defense (1930)
An attorney, who specializes in springing criminals out of prison, is faced with a moral dilemma when his girlfriend drunkenly kills a pedestrian with her car and another man takes the blame.
Dir: John Cromwell Cast: William Powell , Kay Francis , Scott Kolk .

TheTip-Off (1932)
A dim-witted boxer helps a naive friend romance a gangster's girl.
Dir: Albert Rogell Cast: Eddie Quillan , Robert Armstrong , Ginger Rogers .

Taxi! (1932)
A feisty independent cab driver fights off a crooked syndicate.
Dir: Roy Del Ruth Cast: James Cagney , Loretta Young , George E. Stone .

British Intelligence (1940)
A lady spy uses a British nobleman's home in her undercover work for the Germans.

World on a Wire (1973)
A cybernetics engineer uncovers a conspiracy in a corporation specializing in virtual reality.
Dir: Rainer Werner Fassbinder Cast: Klaus Lowitsch , Mascha Rabben , Karl-Heinz Vosgerau .

Silver River (1948)
A ruthless gambler's rise to power is cut short by character flaws.
Dir: Raoul Walsh Cast: Errol Flynn , Ann Sheridan , Thomas Mitchell .

La Notte (1961)
A successful writer and his wife face the meaninglessness of their relationship during a night of wild partying.
Dir: Michelangelo Antonioni Cast: Jeanne Moreau , Marcello Mastroianni , Monica Vitti .

Kirk Douglas: Before I Forget (2009)
Kirk Douglas shares stories about his life, his family, his work, and his philosophy in this documentary.

The Last Flight (1931)
Four disillusioned Army buddies roam post-WWI Europe.
Dir: William Dieterle Cast: Richard Barthelmess , David Manners , John Mack Brown .

The Mummy (1932)
An Egyptian mummy returns to life to stalk the reincarnation of his lost love.
Dir: Karl Freund Cast: Boris Karloff , Zita Johann , David Manners .
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

How I wish I had more room on my DVR to capture even half of the movies you have listed, Ark.

Phillips Holmes Alert!

I know this is rather short notice, but I thought that others might be interested to know that TCM is airing MAN TO MAN (1931) at 2pm (ET) today (July 10), a rarely seen Alan Dwan film starring Holmes and Grant Mitchell in a story about a father and his son's life after a family scandal. In this early talkie, director Dwan used a device to attach the camera to a boom mike, enabling mobility and more naturalism to the scenes. Sounds intriguing, doesn't it?

This is especially interesting as a new film (at least to me) since there are so few movies featuring the young Phillips Holmes, whose demise in a wartime plane crash ended what had been an interesting career--especially in the early '30s, when Holmes, David Manners and Douglass Montgomery (aka Kent Douglass) vied for the "sleek, sensitive and civilized youth" crown in films.

More here about this movie: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/2030/Man-to-Man/

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I was surprised to discover that Phillips Holmes attended Air Grounds School here in my hometown of Winnipeg. My dad might have met him as he served in the air force during WW2 and likewise did his training here.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I believe Holmes was training other pilots when his aerial accident ended his life in Ontario in 1942. Apparently Holmes had joined the RCAF before America's entry into the war. There might be more about his time in Winnipeg at your local historical society, Stone. It would be interesting to know more if you ever have a chance to find out more.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

As a Diana Dors fan, I was really looking forward to THE UNHOLY WIFE, thinking it would be at the very least a deliciously seedy black and white noir, along the lines of those early Hammers, but gad, what a dull, unholy mess! Filmed in superfluous color, devoid of any dramatic tension, beyond flaccid, I could barely keep awake -- in fact I did actually nod off more than once, but was unfortunately roused by Rod Steiger during one of his signature shouting matches. Rod seemed to have little interest in his role as a California vitner, hurriedly mumbling the lines as if he couldn't wait to finish shooting, go home and knock off a couple of cheeseburgers. Then poor creaky Beulah Bondi (as Rod's mother) had to deal with pouty Diana shashaying moodily in what seemed like the middle of the night outfitted with a gun and skin-tight red dress. I couldn't figure what the heck was going on. The opening scene had a drab Dors, apparently in prison, (this is filmed with an awkward Expressionist set) sans gaudy blonde locks and with hair looking oddly like the aging 'dos of Liz and Rock in GIANT, relating her sordid story in flashback, but I was already bored, and this was like two minutes into the movie.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Bronxgirl, I was hoping for a delicious dish of sleaze from The Unholy Wife too, but found myself wondering if the print of this movie had been stored next to a jar of pickles in some cellar for the last half century. RKO must have been down to their last nickel when they bought the film stock for this flick. Is it me, or did Diana Dors have only two slight variations on one expression? No. 1: Lustful. No. 2: P.O.ed.

[I'm not a big Marilyn Monroe fan but MM seemed to be bristling with talent compared to Dors in this movie. Yeah, I know, lots of people appreciate both actresses and their unique personas, but I'm a movie peasant--I like actresses who can at least run the gamut of emotions from A to M, not just Dorothy Parker's "A to B."]

I couldn't believe that john Farrow directed this (it was his penultimate movie) and Jonathan Latimer had a hand in the screenplay.

Did you stick around long enough to see if Marie Windsor brightened things up? I gave up before she showed. Here's the trailer for this movie:
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

moira, you and I are on the same wavelength with this turkey. Marie Windsor couldn't make a dent, as she was on screen for only about five minutes, pushed aside so as to give DD her big American debut break. Probably because of all this pressure, lol, Dors seemed very nervous and it showed on her face, with the results being a comatose rather than sultry performance, not exactly guaranteed to make a boffo impression this side of the pond. Also, if you noticed, Diana's hands were always clenched and arms stiffly at her sides in the manner of ancient Egyptian paintings. (or Kathy O'Donnell in THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES)

Kingrat, I think Diana was actually an underrated actress; not wildly talented, but her looks sort of got in the way. She seemed to have a definite flair for lusty comedy from other things I've seen her in. I couldn't believe my ears when RO mentioned the fling with Steiger.

Yes, the print was terrible. It just made the soap opera aspects of the script even more unwatchable.

On the bright side -- I recorded YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE. I'm going to re-read your post on it, moira, and then report back on the Bad Movies We Love thread.

HOTEL just started! This is a new one for me, I'm so excited, lol! Credits: "Karl Malden as The Key Thief" Merle Oberon is wearing a sausage roll on her head and looks like she has breast implants. Melvyn Douglas is growling. Okay, I'm getting back to it now!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

How can she resist?

Find out the limits of Kay Francis' will power all night long on TCM tonight, Monday, July 14th..(All times shown are ET):

8:00 PM
FOR THE DEFENSE (1930)
An attorney, who specializes in springing criminals out of prison, is faced with a moral dilemma when his girlfriend drunkenly kills a pedestrian with her car and another man takes the blame.
Dir: John Cromwell Cast: William Powell , Kay Francis , Scott Kolk .
BW-63 mins, CC,

9:15 PM
TROUBLE IN PARADISE (1932)
A love triangle ignites trouble between two jewel theives and their intended victim.
Dir: Ernst Lubitsch Cast: Miriam Hopkins , Kay Francis , Herbert Marshall .
BW-82 mins, CC,

10:45 PM
I FOUND STELLA PARISH (1935)
An actress stops at nothing to protect her daughter from her shady past.
Dir: Mervyn LeRoy Cast: Kay Francis , Ian Hunter , Paul Lukas .
BW-85 mins, CC,

12:15 AM
JEWEL ROBBERY (1932)
A jewel thief falls for a tycoon's wife in Vienna.
Dir: William Dieterle Cast: William Powell , Kay Francis , Helen Vinson .
BW-68 mins, CC,

1:30 AM
RAFFLES (1930)
A distinguished British gentleman hides his true identity as a notorious jewel thief.
Dir: Harry d'Abbadie D'Arrast Cast: Ronald Colman , Kay Francis , Bramwell Fletcher .
BW-71 mins,

3:00 AM
STRANDED (1935)
A Traveler's Aid worker who delights in solving people's problems gets mixed up with gangsters.

4:30 AM
ALLOTMENT WIVES (1945)
Unscrupulous women marry servicemen for their pay.
Dir: William Nigh Cast: Kay Francis , Paul Kelly , Otto Kruger .
BW-78 mins,

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

"Welfare's taken baby Langston!"

I love Goldie Hawn in THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS, lol.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Just a reminder of TCM's change of schedule for actor JAMES GARNER this Monday, July 28th:

6 a.m.: "Toward the Unknown" (1956) – Garner's film debut was a drama about test pilots. Directed by Mervyn LeRoy, it stars William Holden, Lloyd Nolan and Virginia Leith.

8 a.m.: "Shoot Out at Medicine Bend" (1957) – This Westerns stars Randolph Scott as the leader of gropup out for revenge. The supporting cast includs James Craig, Angie Dickinson and Garner.

9:30 a.m.: "Grand Prix" (1966) – Garner got the part his pal Steve McQueen wanted. Director John Frankenheimer's drama about racing car drivers also stars Eva Marie Saint, Yves Montand, Toshiro Mifue, Brian Bedford and Jessica Walter.

12:30 p.m.: "Cash McCall" (1960) – Garner plays a businessman wooing Natalie Wood. Nina Foch and Dean Jagger co-star.

2:15 p.m.: "The Wheeler Dealers" (1963) – Garner has top billing in this lampoon of Texas millionaires. Also in the cast are Lee Remick, Cleveland native Jim Backus, Phil Harris, Shelly Berman, Chill Wills, John Astin and Louis Nye.

4 p.m.: "Darby's Rangers" (1958) – Garner plays William Orlando Darby, World War II commander of the 1st Ranger Battalion. Director William Wellman's cast includes , Etchika Choureau, Jack Warden and Edd Byrnes.

6:15 p.m.: "Mister Buddwing" (1966) – Director Delbert Mann's film features Garner as an amnesia victim. His co-stars are Jean Simmons, Angela Lansbury and Suzanne Pleshette.

8 p.m.: "The Thrill of It All" (1963) – Doris Day, Garner and Arlene Francis star in Carl Reiner's spoof of television and commercials.

10 p.m.: "The Americanization of Emily" (1964) – Underrated when it was released, this excellent this excellent blend of romance and cynicism features a screenplay by Paddy Chayefsky. Garner and Julie Andrews, who would re-team for "Victor/Victoria," star in this World War II mix of comedy and drama. The outstanding supporting cast includes Melvyn Douglas, James Coburn, Keenan Wynn, Edward Binns and William Windom.

Midnight: "The Children's Hour" (1961) – Audrey Hepburn, Shirley MacLaine, Garner and Miriam Hopkins star in the second film version of Lillian Hellman's play.

2 a.m.: "Victor/Victoria (1982) – Andrews and Garner are joined by Robert Preston and Lesley-Ann Warren in this delightful comedy about a singer masquerading as a man.

4:30 a.m.: "Marlowe" (1969) – Before "The Rockford Files," Garner played detective Philip Marlowe in this version of Raymond Chandler's "The Little Sister." The strong cast includes Gayle Hunnicutt, Rita Moreno, Carroll O'Connor, Sharon Farrell, William Daniels and Bruce Lee.

* Synopsis by Mark Dawidziak, The Plain Dealer - Cleveland.com
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com