The September 2014 Schedule for TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: The September 2014 Schedule for TCM

Post by moira finnie »

Bronxgirl48 wrote:I'm so happy to get MeTV! Been enjoying Svengoolie, Night Gallery, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, Perry Mason, and Thriller.

Mom saw BELLE DU JOUR yesterday and couldn't make, you'll pardon the expression in this context, :oops: head nor tail of it: "So everything was a dream?" :D :oops: :roll: 8)
Dang, you're mother is such a hoot. I think I would have been too embarrassed to watch Belle Du Jour with my Mom. On reflection I remember how she sometimes had surprising tastes. She really liked Fellini, Renoir and some racy stuff, as she revealed once we hit adulthood. She was a major Francophile, so the language alone would have made it okay.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Well, Mom and I weren't exactly together watching BELLE DU JOUR, lol. She was in her apartment and I was in mine, but I suppose just knowing she was watching it made me a tad uncomfortable. Mom loves anything French and Italian, too. (her favorite is Rossano Brazzi, but not for his acting....)

Gad, even a day of Keefe Brasselle would have been livelier than one with Dennis O'Keefe. What did Dennis do that was memorable, except for THE LEOPARD MAN, and even in that, he was the Lewton good-guy, which always translates into "boring", so it's a double whammy.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

What did Dennis do that was memorable, except for THE LEOPARD MAN
Perhaps it's just a trivial matter of taste, but:

HANGMEN ALSO DIE! (Fritz Lang 1943)
T-MEN (Anthony Mann 1947)
RAW DEAL (Anthony Mann 1948)
WALK A CROOKED MILE (Gordon Douglas 1948)
ABANDONED (Joseph Newman 1949)
WOMAN ON THE RUN (Norman Foster 1950)

A fine film noir resume.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

HANGMEN ALSO DIE! What a title!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Even though I admire RAW DEAL and T-MEN, I also find O'Keefe a rather bland actor. Fortunately Anthony Mann's direction and great supporting casts in both of these noirs overcome O'Keefe's performances.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

She’s had a successful career, with the enviable luck to appear opposite some of Hollywood’s great leading men, including Gable, Peck, Mitchum, Tracy, Lancaster, Holden, Taylor, Pidgeon, Niven. Oh, and may I add Cary Grant. << Sigh! >> She finally received an ( honorary ) Oscar for her body of work. She could be a lady...or not; to the manor born or a sheep drover's wife. She could be sought after by men or a spinster at a separate table, Deborah Kerr was one of the great versatile actresses of classic films. I might've programmed a different set of films to showcase her talent, but hey...why quibble. It's Deborah Kerr. It's TCM. It's Today:

6:45 AM - VACATION FROM MARRIAGE (1945) - After World War II service changes them, a married couple dread their postwar reunion. Dir: Alexander Korda. Cast:  Robert Donat, Deborah Kerr, Glynis Johns. BW-93 mins.

8:30 AM - THE HUCKSTERS (1947) - A war veteran fights for honesty in the advertising game. Dir: Jack Conway. Cast:  Clark Gable, Deborah Kerr, Sydney Greenstreet. BW-115 mins.

10:30 AM - EDWARD, MY SON (1949) - A possessive father destroys anyone who threatens his plans for his son. Dir: George Cukor. Cast:  Spencer Tracy, Deborah Kerr, Ian Hunter. BW-113 mins.

12:30 PM - PLEASE BELIEVE ME (1950) - Three men pursue a shipboard romance with a woman they think is an heiress. Dir: Norman Taurog. Cast:  Deborah Kerr, Robert Walker, Mark Stevens. BW-87 mins.

2:00 PM - COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS (1959) - After a wartime separation, an Englishwoman discovers her French husband is a womanizer. Dir: Jean Negulesco. Cast:  Deborah Kerr, Rossano Brazzi, Maurice Chevalier. C-102 mins, Letterbox Format.

3:45 PM - THE SUNDOWNERS (1960) - An Australian sheepherder and his wife clash over their nomadic existence and their son's future. Dir: Fred Zinnemann. Cast:  Deborah Kerr, Robert Mitchum, Peter Ustinov. C-133 mins, Letterbox Format.

6:00 PM - MARRIAGE ON THE ROCKS (1965) - A couple divorces by mistake during a madcap Mexican vacation. Dir: Jack Donohue. Cast:  Frank Sinatra, Deborah Kerr, Dean Martin. C-109 mins, Letterbox Format.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

ChiO wrote:
What did Dennis do that was memorable, except for THE LEOPARD MAN
Perhaps it's just a trivial matter of taste, but:

HANGMEN ALSO DIE! (Fritz Lang 1943)
T-MEN (Anthony Mann 1947)
RAW DEAL (Anthony Mann 1948)
WALK A CROOKED MILE (Gordon Douglas 1948)
ABANDONED (Joseph Newman 1949)
WOMAN ON THE RUN (Norman Foster 1950)

A fine film noir resume.

I had no idea he was in so many noirs, ChiO. I guess I'll have to begrudgingly check them out, lol. Thanks!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Deborah Kerr was brilliant. Yes, we're missing SEPARATE TABLES, TEA AND SYMPATHY, THE INNOCENTS. But maybe it's good to give some lesser known work some exposure. There are a couple on the list I'm not familiar with.