The September 2014 Schedule for TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Bronxgirl48

Re: The September 2014 Schedule for TCM

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I'm so happy to get MeTV! Been enjoying Svengoolie, Night Gallery, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, Perry Mason, and Thriller.

Mom saw BELLE DU JOUR yesterday and couldn't make, you'll pardon the expression in this context, :oops: head nor tail of it: "So everything was a dream?" :D :oops: :roll: 8)
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Here´s my latest blog entry about Dark Passage, airing tomorrow on TCM as part of the tribute to Lauren Bacall as
it´s also her birthday : http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/20 ... k-passage/
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

DARK PASSAGE - Is one of my favorite BOGART and BACALL movie - the only version that I've seen is the Colorized Version that a dear friend of mine who is a big fan of Humphrey Bogart have it recorded on a DVD.

It's an excellent film involving Bogart hiding out at Bacall's apartment while his face healed by a plastic surgeon. I highly recommend this movie ... it's a great drama and wonderfully directed by Delmar Daves.

Here's the trailer for this movie ...

[youtube][/youtube]
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

All of these movies starts at 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific on TCM on Friday Night and I haven't seen these movies before - These are the pre-codes that they are exploring on Friday Nights on TCM. I'm looking forward to see these movies.

Scarface (1932)
Little Caesar (1930)
Penthouse (1933)
Three on a Match (1932)
Call Her Savage (1932)
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Erik, you're in for a treat. Bogart, Robinson, Raft, Muni, Jack LaRue - and on the distaff side, Glenda Farrell and Ann Dvorak. Already priming for my own beer and popcorn night.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

This Thursday is George C. Scott Day and it's pretty powerful Line-Up ...

Starting at 5pm (Pacific) and 8pm (Eastern)

PATTON - As George S. Patton

HINDENBURG - As Colonel Ritter

DR. STRANGELOVE - Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson

Unusual Line-Up of George C. Scott in Uniform - Great WW2 General in PATTON, a NAZI Colonel in charge of Security on the Hindenburg, and a Kooky General in STRANGELOVE. Only a genius in TCM to put together this lineup on Thursday Night ...
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Western Guy wrote:Erik, you're in for a treat. Bogart, Robinson, Raft, Muni, Jack LaRue - and on the distaff side, Glenda Farrell and Ann Dvorak. Already priming for my own beer and popcorn night.

Thanks ... appreciate the heads up! :)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Three on a Match, and Call Her Savage are two of the pre-codiest (is that a word?? It fits) movies of the pre code era, and if you were not a fan of Ann Dvorak or Clara Bow...you will be!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Three on a Match, and Call Her Savage are two of the pre-codiest (is that a word?? It fits)
It is if you say it is.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#FF0000]Sue Sue Applegate[/color][/u] wrote:Image

Here´s my latest blog entry about Dark Passage, airing tomorrow on TCM as part of the tribute to Lauren Bacall as it´s also her birthday : http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/20 ... k-passage/
Hey Christy - I enjoyed your write-up of one of my favorite movies of the 1940’s: “DARK PASSAGE.” I read it in "The Great Movie Debate Blogathon" you participated in as you made a case FOR the movie. Who could be against it?

Image Image

I like how you went into the first-person yourself to explain what Irene Jansen might tell the cops. I liked the first-person camera the movie used, and I didn’t mind the wait for Bogart just about an hour into the movie. To be honest, I always found it a little sketchy the way Bogart and Bacall meet in this film. What woman would take in an escaped convict? Also the coincidence of Agnes Moorehead knowing Bogart’s character ( Vincent Parry ) who just happens to be holed up in Bacall’s apartment is a touch...convenient. But hey, I can’t let these minor speed bumps keep me from enjoying Bogart and Bacall.

I don’t know if I’m saying this right, but the movie is so kind to its characters, empathetic to them: the talky cabbie, sad-sack George the trumpeter - who makes me think of Gary Cooper with Randolph Scott’s voice. Then there was the guy at the diner, who gave the cop a couple of dirty looks in defense of Bogart. Oh yeah...and the surgeon. I liked them all very much. The good doctor, who lost his license, looks like he performs different types of “operations” for folks in trouble. ( Yay! ) The movie looks like it tries to show people giving breaks to people who desperately need a break. The last poignant moment for me that gives me hope that Love WILL work out, is with that couple at the end of the movie who meet at the bus station. They were sweet together. ( Good seeing character actress Mary Field, get the guy in a film for a change. :) )

"Out of the Past" "Ball of Fire"

Bogie and Bacall - the good guys, great to look at, fall in love with. But what makes the movie for me, is Agnes Moorehead as Madge. Christy, you blew me away when you likened her to the Raven in Poe’s poem - ( ninth grade for you...eighth grade for me. ) BRILLIANT! ( You know something’s brilliant when you wish you had thought of it yourself. “Rapping at my chamber door...” ) For being still early in Bacall’s career, facing off opposite the great Moorehead must have been a terrifying thrill. I love their scene together. She’s going toe-to-toe with Moorehead. I can see the fire coming out of Bacall’s subtly flaring nostrils. And Moorehead - fearful, accusatory, then downright b*tchy, strutting around the scene like a matador, spreading venom on both Bennett and Bacall. Oh she’s great. Your description of her clothes is on the money. What the well-dressed predator will wear. ( Leopard skin. )

And then Moorehead meets her equal in Bogart. Their confrontation is like two heavyweights slugging it out. I love her striped coat; its satiny sheen like a snake’s skin. ( Your description is a lot better'n mine. ) I love her coquettishness with Bogie. Funny, I always got the feeling calling me from waaaay in the back of my mind, that Moorehead’s character wasn’t ever trying to get Bogart or Bruce Bennett, Bacall's milquetoasted love interest, but really had her eye elsewhere - ( shades of Mrs. Danvers/ Miss Holloway ). No, I’m not salaciously painting this with a slanted brush. You know how old movies like to hide things or transfer them over gender lines safely. But okay... if my theory is hot air, we still have Moorehead ready for a round with Bogie, sitting at his feet and getting comfy cozy.

Bogart and Bacall are good together. Did they have chemistry or what. Bogart’s so tender towards her. Bacall could melt that hard-boiled persona of his and wrap him around her finger. He has to trust her and that puts him at a disadvantage. But she likes him, is falling in love with him, is protective of him. She’s on his side and he doesn’t want to lose her. But life’s got the Indian sign on him. Director Delmer Daves gives Bacall the close-up of her career as she watches Bogart walk to the elevator and out of her life, eyes brimming with tears. Tough girl, huh? It's killer, with Franz Waxman's violins helping us along. This movie is kind of unusual for Hollywood’s sense of morals code and justice. The bad guys, in the eyes of the Law, get away. The audience gives these two a break. We know the truth.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I enjoy not seeing Bogey's face for the first third of the movie. It adds an element of anticipation. Big fan of THREE ON A MATCH too! Very pre-codey!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dennis O'Keefe??????????

No, just.....NO, lol.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Loved your accounts of Dark Passage, one of the few films that earned David Goodis screen credit. Delmer Daves was so underrated. That last sequence in the bus station and by the sea always gets me emotionally more than the rest of the film.

Tonight on TCM:

George C. Scott always struck me as a protean, remarkably intense actor who was so watchable and always interesting (even in tripe). His life sounds incredibly chaotic but it puzzles me how little is said about Scott today--other than Patton, which, imho, only showed a portion of his talent. Perhaps this lone bio and tonight's lineup on TCM might make people notice him again.

Do you have a favorite Scott role?

Mine would be his turn as Rochester in the made for television version of Jane Eyre (1970). I also have a weakness for The Hospital (1971) and for the flawed but occasionally moving Islands in the Stream (1977). From what I've read, he was incredibly compelling on stage (and could shift from tragic to funny in a wink). Particularly intrigued by all I've read about the Volpone adaptation, "Sly Fox" on Broadway in the late '70s.

More here about tonight's lineup on TCM: http://www.tcm.com/schedule/
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I prefer Scott's earlier work in supporting roles. He's wonderful in THE HUSTLER, as well as ANATOMY OF A MURDER. Not to mention a certain general who makes the mistake of fighting in the war room!