October Schedule 2014

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

October Schedule 2014

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Although there's some great stuff showing this month, most of the horror selections have played on TCM before. A notable exception is Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970). This unconventional film from the Czech republic is visually stunning and a treat for the senses. Don't miss it:

[youtube][/youtube]

So what are your picks for October?
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: October Schedule 2014

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for starting this month's schedule thread, Joel. Here's a link to the full schedule:
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/october2014.html

I haven't had time to post about it just yet, but the film you spotlighted sounds intriguing. More later! Hope others chime in too.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

There are some goodies. Of the less often shown ones over the next week (all times CST):

Saturday, Oct. 4

2:00pm – Peeping Tom (Michael Powell 1960) – A photographer is a serial killer of women, but the film can be seen as the travails of an artist trying to achieve perfection, failing and being rejected. Did Powell know in his heart how this film would be received? (Note: He credited it as destroying his career. Paradox: His pal, a Mr. Hitchcock, shortly after, released a similar movie about a young killer and achieved acclaim. So it goes.) A work of genius. And Art, ultimately, does triumph. Martin Scorsese said that everything one needs to know about making a movie can be learned by watching 8-1/2 (Federico Fellini 1963) and this movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAqEn6JS-oM With Karl Boehm, Moira Shearer & Anna Massey.

Sunday, Oct. 5

5:00am – A Canterbury Tale (Michael Powell 1944) – A top-notch wartime film from Michael Powell and frequent collaborator, writer Emeric Pressburger. While Nazi Germany threatens Great Britain, two Brits and an American GI try to solve a mystery in a small rural English village and find themselves traveling to Canterbury. A Home Front War Mystery Comedy (as in wry Comedy as Powell & Pressburger were wont to do) that is ultimately a Spiritual journey. But what and why is that gooey gunk landing in young ladies, hair, you sly Powell & Pressburger? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKmESmj2iGc With Eric Portman, Sheila Sim, John Sweet & Dennis Price.

Monday, Oct. 6

7:00pm-11:15pm – Early Animation Compilations (2014) – Three separate compilations from animators: Winsor McCay, Bray Studios and Van Beuren Studios. The animation covers 1913-1935. With Gertie the Dinosaur, Little Nemo, Dinky Doodle & many others.

Wednesday, Oct. 8

These three movies are by no means great cinema. They barely pass as good cinema. But they are interesting curios because of their director. At times your jaw may drop. Dum-de-dum-dum. Dum-de-dum-dum. Dum-de-dum-dum-daaah.

7:00am – The D.I. (Jack Webb 1957) – A tough Marine sergeant tries to whip his recruits into shape, but there’s a rebel in the platoon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irCqA4lcgoE With Jack Webb, Don Dubbins & many actual soldiers. [Entire movie available on YouTube.]

9:00am - -30- (Jack Webb 1959) – The journalists in the crowd will know the meaning of the film’s title. Twenty-four hours in the life of a major metropolitan newspaper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WEyLodO39s With Jack Webb, William Conrad & David Nelson.

10:45am – The Last Time I Saw Archie (Jack Webb 1961) – Unlike the two preceding movies, this is a Comedy (intentionally). An Army serviceman is also a con man and uses that skill to make money during peacetime. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyuLNdfCvsI The key reason for watching is that “Archie” is based on Arch Hall, Sr. Who, you may ask? After serving his country, he did this and that in Hollywood, finally forming Fairway Productions. That company’s primary function was to make a star of his son, Arch Hall, Jr. Who, you may ask? Precisely. Some scoff at the Arch Hall, Jr. movies, but not I. They are incredible! (Take that however you wish, but I highly recommend typing his name into YouTube and watching clips from each movie you find. I’m a true fan.) With Robert Mitchum, Jack Webb & Martha Hyer.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

ChiO wrote:Sunday, Oct. 5

5:00am – A Canterbury Tale (Michael Powell 1944) – A top-notch wartime film from Michael Powell and frequent collaborator, writer Emeric Pressburger. While Nazi Germany threatens Great Britain, two Brits and an American GI try to solve a mystery in a small rural English village and find themselves traveling to Canterbury. A Home Front War Mystery Comedy (as in wry Comedy as Powell & Pressburger were wont to do) that is ultimately a Spiritual journey. But what and why is that gooey gunk landing in young ladies, hair, you sly Powell & Pressburger? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKmESmj2iGc With Eric Portman, Sheila Sim, John Sweet & Dennis Price.
Love Eric Portman, and in A Canterbury Tale he really plays a character who makes it hard to warm up to (he would be horrified if someone--esp. a Yank--were to express admiration for him anyway). I wish TCM would show Great Day (1946) again. His character is rather unforgettable. Have you ever seen him in Daybreak (1948-Compton Bennett) or Child in the House (1956-Cy Endfield)? The Brits (or in the case of Endfield, the American refugees) really don't fool around when they go dark--especially when Eric P. is there to etch one of his characters in indelible sharp strokes.
ChiO wrote:
Wednesday, Oct. 8

These three movies are by no means great cinema. They barely pass as good cinema. But they are interesting curios because of their director. At times your jaw may drop. Dum-de-dum-dum. Dum-de-dum-dum. Dum-de-dum-dum-daaah.

7:00am – The D.I. (Jack Webb 1957) – A tough Marine sergeant tries to whip his recruits into shape, but there’s a rebel in the platoon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irCqA4lcgoE With Jack Webb, Don Dubbins & many actual soldiers. [Entire movie available on YouTube.]

9:00am - -30- (Jack Webb 1959) – The journalists in the crowd will know the meaning of the film’s title. Twenty-four hours in the life of a major metropolitan newspaper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WEyLodO39s With Jack Webb, William Conrad & David Nelson.

10:45am – The Last Time I Saw Archie (Jack Webb 1961) – Unlike the two preceding movies, this is a Comedy (intentionally). An Army serviceman is also a con man and uses that skill to make money during peacetime. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyuLNdfCvsI The key reason for watching is that “Archie” is based on Arch Hall, Sr. Who, you may ask? After serving his country, he did this and that in Hollywood, finally forming Fairway Productions. That company’s primary function was to make a star of his son, Arch Hall, Jr. Who, you may ask? Precisely. Some scoff at the Arch Hall, Jr. movies, but not I. They are incredible! (Take that however you wish, but I highly recommend typing his name into YouTube and watching clips from each movie you find. I’m a true fan.) With Robert Mitchum, Jack Webb & Martha Hyer.
Oh, boy, a Jack Webb triple play! I really liked -30-. Not only does Jack play a character who is (almost) life-like, but William Conrad has a chance to shine as he "goes rogue" and ignores Mr. Webb's lifelong admonition to his actors to convey as little emotion as possible to the audience. I guess TCM couldn't get the rights to Pete Kelly's Blues (1955) or we really would have a had a Webbtastic feast of amusingly wooden acting and good music.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

but William Conrad has a chance to shine as he "goes rogue"
Isn't he wonderful in -30-? He makes poor David Nelson look like a deer caught in the headlights.

And slap me upside the head, but watching the clip from THE D.I. made me think of Barney Fife and Sgt. Carter (GOMER PYLE, U.S.M.C.). Only I imagine Mr. Webb wasn't playing it for laughs.
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

kingrat wrote:What's weird is that in The Men, Mr. Webb isn't wooden at all, giving a darn good performance.
That's because Mr. Webb was just an actor then. Not an auteur. ;-)

Besides, could Fred Zinnemann make a movie without humanity?
The Friday Night Spotlight is Africa, hosted by Alex Trebek, who chose many of these films. The four Fridays are devoted to 1) Bogey in Africa; 2) historical epics; 3) African adventures; and 4) women in Africa. Unfortunately, Zulu is not included, but I'll get a chance to see Zulu Dawn. Among the other films are Khartoum, Mountains of the Moon, Something of Value, Out of Africa, and Gorillas in the Mist. Also Tarzan and His Mate, with a skinny-dipping Jane.
What is a cool theme for Fridays, Alex? I wonder if there is going to be a category devoted to this subject on Jeopardy this month?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

kingrat wrote:What's weird is that in The Men, Mr. Webb isn't wooden at all, giving a darn good performance.

The Friday Night Spotlight is Africa, hosted by Alex Trebek, who chose many of these films. The four Fridays are devoted to 1) Bogey in Africa; 2) historical epics; 3) African adventures; and 4) women in Africa. Unfortunately, Zulu is not included, but I'll get a chance to see Zulu Dawn. Among the other films are Khartoum, Mountains of the Moon, Something of Value, Out of Africa, and Gorillas in the Mist. Also Tarzan and His Mate, with a skinny-dipping Jane.

I haven't made my mind up on these films - but I'm planning on watching most of them anyway ... I loved films made in Africa.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

How odd that Zulu (1964) wasn't scheduled. I think It was on TCM before...ach, the vagaries of film rights.

Erik, I think you'll enjoy them--though anyone who hasn't seen Out of Africa in a real movie theater is missing a great experience. As close as most of us will ever get to the Serengeti or Happy Valley.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ditto the good impressions of -30-. I enjoyed it far more than I was expecting, and I think perhaps it would be a cool idea to have a William Conrad day sometime, including Brainstorm, which he directed (thanks for the tip, ChiO!). I have no idea if he directed anything else besides Cannon episodes, but I've developed a real admiration for him lately.

As for Webb the actor, he's also terrific in Sunset Blvd. (like a real person!) and Pete Kelly's Blues.

I am looking forward to every one of the Connie Bennett films showing all this month. She's one of my all time favorites - such a STAR with capital letters and yet, there's that something about her that I LOVE. Maybe it's her "I don't care" attitude, since she never gave a damn about acting or the movies. When I hear the audience girl in Singin' in the Rain say, " She's so refined, I think I'll kill myself" I always think of Connie.

And I am really happy that Janet Leigh is SOTM. Leigh is one of those people who has grown on me since I got TCM. I never really warmed to her. Maybe, like Charles Boyer, she's an more of an acquired taste, an adult one. Act of Violence and The Naked Spur changed my opinion of her, turning her from a star into an actress in my eyes. And oh yeah, there's that other film....what's it called? The one with the shower scene. She's downright BRILLIANT in it.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Twentieth Century
5pm Pacific 8pm Eastern

D: Howard Hawks. John Barrymore, Carole Lombard, Walter Connolly, Roscoe Karns, Etienne Girardot, Ralph Forbes, Charles Levison (Lane), Edgar Kennedy. Super screwball comedy in which egomaniacal Broadway producer Barrymore makes shopgirl Lombard a star; when she leaves him, he does everything he can to woo her back on lengthy train trip. Barrymore has never been funnier, and Connolly and Karns are aces as his long-suffering cronies. Matchless script by Ben Hecht and Charles MacArthur, from their play; later a hit Broadway musical, On the Twentieth Century.

This movie is on tonight - October 4th and I always wanted to watch this great Barrymore/Lombard Classic.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

JF wrote:
I think perhaps it would be a cool idea to have a William Conrad day sometime, including Brainstorm, which he directed (thanks for the tip, ChiO!). I have no idea if he directed anything else besides Cannon episodes, but I've developed a real admiration for him lately.

Conrad directed three other movies (two of them the same year as BRAINSTORM), plus a TV movie. BRAINSTORM is by far the pick of the litter (I have two of them from Warner Archives). He directed a lot of television episodes pre-BRAINSTORM. And shockingly (if IMDb is to trusted), he directed nary an episode of Cannon or Jake and the Fatman.

I do love his screen appearances, especially in film noir. I'm not a big fan of Siodmak's THE KILLERS, but the opening with him and Charles McGraw is one of my favorite scenes in all of noir.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I agree wholeheartedly about TCM hosting a William Conrad day. Always a welcome presence in movies, especially - as ChiO says - in his noir films: ANY NUMBER CAN PLAY, SORRY, WRONG NUMBER, BODY AND SOUL, THE RACKET, CRY DANGER and even his tragic barkeep in DIAL 1119. Wonderful underrated actor who deserves his due.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, ChiO, for the info on William Conrad. I'm shocked that he never directed any episodes of his TV shows....especially considering how well Brainstorm turned out.

I tried to watch Peeping Tom again today, but I was suffering through a terrible migraine. How vivid the movie is! I actually had to turn it off because it disturbed me in my weakened condition! What a disappointment. I'd been looking forward to it all week.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Ok, someone please explain the funny part of "Twentieth Century", because I just don't 'get' it. :? I watched the first full hour, but the shrieking finally got to be more than I cared to invest any more time in. I really tried to laugh, or at least see the humor, but it all fell flat. I am not comfortable with bullying, or manipulation, and it seems to be the central theme.. oh, well, I don't like "His Girl Friday", either...but I really DO have a sense of humor....really!...... :D
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard