October Schedule 2014

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: October Schedule 2014

Post by moira finnie »

Sapphire (1959) with Nigel Patrick is a wonderful study of racism in Beat Era Britain and, (as knitwit will be happy to tell you), The Captive Heart is a truly great movie with one of Michael Redgrave giving one of his best screen performances. Woman of Straw is um, interesting. Gina Lollobrigida is the "nurse" taking care of a wheelchair bound Ralph Richardson. Sean Connery, just prior to his breakthrough role as Bond, James Bond, looks great but broody and darkly disturbed throughout the film. It's a beautiful-looking movie, but pretty much a candidate for Bad Movies We Love.

Just my humble opinion.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Why was Andy Devine taking a shower in MAN WANTED and not David (be still my heart) Manners?? Andy you know I love you but just not in that way, lol. (great cast in this one btw)

David Manners, sigh, possibly my biggest heartthrob, even if I do realize he probably wouldn't have looked my way....That's okay.

This being said, now I'll go back to being excited about The Bowery Boys ghost movies tonight!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

October 17th, 1920 - July 23rd, 1966 Today on TCM.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Nice salute to today's Clift-o-rama on TCM, Cinemaven, but I wish Raintree County would go back on the shelf reserved for imitation GWTWs. No Lonelyhearts (1957), Indiscretion of an American Wife (1953) or Freud (1962), alas, but at least The Search & The Big Lift are on the schedule today. I know it is said to be lame-o, but I'm curious about The Defector (1966). Has anyone seen it?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I'd have programmed his birthday differently as well. "Wild River" "A Place in the Sun" for starters.

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Cine-Monty!

A PLACE IN THE SUN is a great movie in all respects. Some people like WILD RIVER more than I do. I was quite young the only time I saw it. It deserves another chance, as do I!

Bronx Person!

You won't want to miss Mr. Andy Devine in a swim suit in ISLAND IN THE SKY. At great length, I must add! Betty Grable never had it so good!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

LOL, Mike, I think I did see ISLAND IN THE SKY, but mercifully have blocked Andy out of my mind in that one. Sorry, Andy! You're one of my favorites anyway!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Bronxie!

David Manners?! Oh, boy, to each his own. I did like him in Journey's End, The Last Flight, as the lonely blind ventriloquist (!) in The Miracle Woman and the comical backstage satire Crooner when he was a poor man's Rudy Vallee. My only objection to that video tribute to David Manners was the music the creator chose for it. Should have been some bo-dee-oh-doe tune for DM. You have seen the site devoted to all things Mannerly, have you not?:
http://www.davidmanners.com/

In my own case, my own foolhardy focus is on Douglass Montgomery/Kent Douglass. I realize that he probably didn't walk on my side of the street, but no matter what his name, he was kind of dreamy in an utterly hopeless and boyish way. Loved him in Waterloo Bridge, Little Man, What Now? and Everything Is Thunder in the '30s. I also have a bit of a crush on Phillips Holmes (even though I want to slap some sense into him sometimes). I think one of the reasons I like these people is that their "type" was so utterly inappropriate for the harsh realities of The Depression and WWII. They all seem to be lost boys.

JackFavell:
LOVED the youngish pictures. Some were pretty close to how they looked later, though Walter Connolly looked so innocent I did a double take. I am pretty sure that Edward Everett Horton was playing in "Charlie's Aunt" when he was photographed in drag, but who's to say? Loved the picture of him as a school boy too. You know, seeing that younger picture of Constance Collier reminded me that she was Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree's mistress for a long time (along with lots of others), but she was never exactly conventionally beautiful, I can see that she had a heckuva dramatic flair to fall back on. Here's one that even tops your surprisingly non-baldy Dean Jagger one:

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Moira! lol, now see, Douglass Montgomery and Philips Holmes (I admit to getting these two confused what with those extra s's) don't float my boat at all -- they're pups, although I do admit to a flutter or two when Douglass as Laurie professes his love for Kate in LITTLE WOMEN. And who's the other "sensitive" young Brit -- Bramwell He Went For A Little Walk Fletcher, meh! I do think David Manners is the best of that bunch -- more masculine if you will (although, I know....darn it!) David was a good listener as an actor -- always the sign of a talented performer, n'est pas? (underrated in my book) and he had such an appealing yearning quality especially in THE MUMMY. I've only seen him in a few things (must put EDWIN DROOD on my watch list) but now am completely obsessed to see his entire, er, oeuvre, ha! Love his voice, too. Very identifiable to me if I'm in another room. I HATED the music for that video and agree, a more Noel Coward-ish score would have been appropriate. I did indeed check out the DM site. He turns out to be such an interesting person, a true gentleman by all who knew him, with such faceted interests. Lived to 98, bless the sweetpea! You know who Manners reminds me of (looks alone) today? John Corbett. (Northern Exposure, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, etc.) But w/o the long hair.

Dean Jagger as a native American, hilarious. Wasn't he also in REVOLT OF THE ZOMBIES? Had some hair then, I think.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Bronxgirl48 wrote:Sorry, Andy! You're one of my favorites anyway!
Well, shucks, Miss Barbara. I'm right fond of you too!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

"Sweetheart!"

(get it?, lol) :D :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#BF0000]RedRiver[/color][/u] wrote:Cine-Monty!

A PLACE IN THE SUN is a great movie in all respects. Some people like WILD RIVER more than I do. I was quite young the only time I saw it. It deserves another chance, as do I!
LOL! Cine-Monty? Haaaa....thanx Red. As for deserving another chance...you're a cat with nine lives. 8)

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"Sweetheart!"

(get it?, lol)

Is that a STAGECOACH reference? One of the horses?