Robert Osborne Reluctantly Takes a Pass on TCM Festival 2015

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Robert Osborne Reluctantly Takes a Pass on TCM Festival 2015

Post by moira finnie »

As many members may be aware, TCM host Robert Osborne has reluctantly bowed out from the upcoming TCM Classic Film Festival scheduled for next week. At this time the host's absence from this particular event does not appear to be affecting his planned future appearances on the cable network. Here's hoping that R.O.'s full recovery will be ensured by the good wishes of all who treasure his company and his gentle erudition on TCM and elsewhere.

Below is the statement released by Mr. O. yesterday expressing his regrets. Undoubtedly, more about the impact of this on the festival will eventually appear in Christy's ongoing account of this cinematic celebration here.
The full statement from Robert Osborne:

To all you members of the TCM family:

I'm Robert Osborne and I want to tell you about a funny thing that happened to me on the way to this year's Film Festival. I've been putting off a minor health procedure (as everyone tends to do now and then). I planned to take care of it as soon as the Festival was over but my doctor said, "enough already, Osborne. Let's get this done now so that sooner rather than later you can get back to introducing movies on TCM." So that's what I'm in the process of doing right now — taking care of that medical procedure.

The downside is that it means I won't be joining you at this year's Festival in Hollywood — very disappointing for me because for the past six years the TCM Classic Film Festival has been one of the things I've enjoyed most: sharing the Festival with you, the great sense of community we have, the conversations with so many of you Festival goers as well as the gifted actors and artisans who are part of the classic films we show, the pure joy of it all. But as we all know, one's health is a gift, and has to be protected and put first. Rest assured that the many talented hosts at the Festival, including Ben Mankiewicz, will be helping you have the very best Festival going experience.

I know you'll enjoy the wonderful films we have programmed, and meeting the gifted artists who are participating in this exceptional event. Enjoy every moment of it and make as many memories and new friends as you can. And rest assured, I'll be seeing you again, very soon.

But right now: on with the show.

Cheers,
Robert Osborne
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: Robert Osborne Reluctantly Takes a Pass on TCM Festival 2015

Post by Lzcutter »

We will miss him dearly at the Festival this year. His warm and welcoming smile as well as his enthusiasm is as much a part of the gathering as the films and discussions.

Luckily, the fans over at Facebook seem to be taking it in stride which is a welcome relief.

TCM will have a large box at the Information Desk where we can place Get Well cards for him.

I think Ben M's schedule just got a lot busier!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

fxreyman

Post by fxreyman »

I agree about what you wrote about Ben. He better begin referring back to a lot of notes he must have made over the years and paying close attention to the myriad of old Hollywood stars and the various behind the scenes people who frequent the Film Festival. Lets face it, as much as everyone loves Robert, the day of his retirement is getting closer. There is a reason why older people get sick or have additional medical situations later in life. Its because they do get older. The body is not the same as it was 10 or 20 years earlier.

The day Robert retires will probably be the saddest day for not only him and his close friends but everyone who has watched him over the years. That is why I think the sooner they get Ben to take on additional duties at TCM, the better it will make for a smoother transition.

Don't get me wrong. I think and hope that Robert will be with us for many more years. But even he will need to slow down eventually. The man has got to be tired. Maybe even worn out to a degree. And a lot of that mileage is apparently catching up to him now with this latest news of health issues.

At present I am not subscribing to TCM, but I do recall with fondness everytime I was able to catch Robert on TCM. Luckily for a lot of us, he can be seen on YouTube and other places, like that wonderful podcast he did with Alec Baldwin a few years back. Hopefully whatever Robert is having done to him will allow him to continue what he does best.

But I can also see a major downturn if and when he steps down. There will be a doom and gloom like atmosphere over at TCM City with certain folks who just feed off of this stuff.
Major Rogers

Post by Major Rogers »

fxreyman wrote:
But I can also see a major downturn if and when he steps down. There will be a doom and gloom like atmosphere over at TCM City with certain folks who just feed off of this stuff.
Every now and then I think about that day coming and it gives me anxiety. He is truly one of a kind.

At least we'll have a huge archive of him discussing thousands of movies. I just like it better when he's there.