All About Shirley in July

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

All About Shirley in July

Post by moira finnie »

How do feel about Shirley Temple? Regardless of any reservation or devotion people may feel about this remarkable actress, there will never be another one like her.

Shirley Temple, the long overdue Star of the Month on TCM this month, was described by the recently returned Robert Osborne as "a good friend and an extraordinary human being who, after being the most famous person in the world at age 6 and Hollywood's pint-sized queen at age 7, grew up to be such a lovely, civic-minded citizen, wife and mother, as well as the U.S. ambassador to two countries."

She was the most popular star in movies in the '30s and despite incredible hubbub surrounding her as a child, she lived to tell the tale and have a real life as well as a legendary career. TCM is airing 19 of her films on Monday night's this month. More can be seen at TCM by clicking on the banner below.

Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Re: All About Shirley in July

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Shirley Temple

American Film Actress
Hollywood's number one box-office star from 1935 through 1938
American Television Actress
Singer
Dancer
Public Servant
Board Member of The Walt Disney Company
Board Member of Del Monte Foods
Board Member of National Wildlife Federation
United States Ambassador to Ghana
United States Ambassador to Czechoslovakia
Chief of Protocol of the United States

To me, she is one of the most impressive resumes for anyone that's associated with Hollywood.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Trio of Favorite Pictures of
Shirley Temple

When, MongoII (Joe) first posted this photo on his old CANDIDS thread - I wanted to have one myself ... this is a darling picture of her and I had to get one myself.

She's a real sweetheart ... :)
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I don't care for the kiddie musicals or that style of child actor popularized at the time (by her!), but there is not and will never be another child star so renowned. I did like her in The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer, and have always admired her achievements. She was really a remarkable person, even if I don't like movies with little kids. :)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I liked certain Temple films better than others. Bright Eyes, Wee Willie Winkie, Captain January, Heidi, Since You Went Away, The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer, and the much reviled That Hagen Girl have entertained and moved me. Since Shirley was one of the few girls who really had adventures in movies--these were childhood faves for me and it is fun to revisit them occasionally.

BTW, "Child Star: An Autobiography" by Mrs. Black was one of the more clear-eyed accounts of an exceptional life written with apparent candor and without resorting to scandal mongering, though I will never regard David O. Selznick quite the same after reading about his chasing a very young teenage contractee around his desk. Ann Edwards' "Shirley Temple: American Princess" does a good job too, though she captures more about the near-hysteria that the child's fame provoked in some. (Shirley's parents did a good job keeping her away from much of the nuttiness surrounding Hollywood, though it would have been nice if they had done a better job of salting away the kid's earnings). Given what we know about Temple's life and the harrowing tales of other child actors, her accomplishments as a sane person whose diplomatic poise and curiosity about the world owed much to her early experiences seems to be even more remarkable.

Wouldn't it be interesting if TCM devoted an entire month to other child actors? It would be so intriguing to see the work of talented kids from the silents on over the course of four weeks. Edith Fellows, Dean Stockwell, Diana Serra Cary, Margaret O'Brien, Jackie Coogan, Virginia Weidler, Peggy Ann Garner, Gene Reynolds and Ted Donaldson come to mind as some of those whose careers could be sampled and put into context---such an event could also give TCM a reason to re-broadcast the Private Screenings with child stars Jane Withers, Margaret O'Brien, Darryl Hickman, and Dick Moore, which you can catch beginning below (four parts in all are available on youtube). There are even several mentions of Shirley Temple's presence and one interesting story from O'Brien about her fellow actress' moment of insecurity:

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

It doesn't matter how many times I see any particular Shirley Temple movie, I can't resist any of them. They can bring as many kid actors around as they like, but there will never be a match for Shirley. The singing was one thing, I could sing whole songs at 3 myself, but to remember the lines of dialog, the dancing routines, and all else that goes with acting just proved how marvelous that child was. Natalie Wood was a facially beautiful child, and Margaret O'Brien was cute, but added together, they couldn't hold a match to Shirley. That really came through to me when I saw the movie with George Murphy the other day. I always wondered why he didn't go farther, the was just as graceful as Fred Astaire, and far more handsome and equally athletic as Kelly, but mainly he was was a professional and seeing him doing routines with Shirley was pure beauty. She kept up with him in everything he did, but unlike Kelly, he never tried to upstage her - she was his partner and he treated her as so.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************