TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Post by Hibi »

EP Millstone wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:44 pm
Hibi wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:30 pm I logged out and back in and see it now, but how do you get to the FORUM LEVEL??? When I come on the site it takes me to Board Index and that's where I start out from. How do you get there to forum level?
Hibi,

To get to a forum level from the Board index, click on the name of a forum, e.g., Action and Adventure, Noir Alley, Games and Trivia, or General Chat.
OK. I get it now. You have to go down below where it says THE FILMS and click on one of those! Then it sends it to that particular forum? What if you just want to start something new on board index? Will a new thread down there automatically show up on board index then? This site still confuses me. :(

So any new thread will appear on Board index automatically? (as well as any new post to a thread?) That's what is confusing me.

Thanks for explaining.
Last edited by Hibi on December 7th, 2022, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

EP Millstone wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:44 pm
Hibi wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:30 pm I logged out and back in and see it now, but how do you get to the FORUM LEVEL??? When I come on the site it takes me to Board Index and that's where I start out from. How do you get there to forum level?
Hibi,

To get to a forum level from the Board index, click on the name of a forum, e.g., Action and Adventure, Noir Alley, Games and Trivia, or General Chat.
Last edited by Hibi on December 7th, 2022, 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Hibi,

Are you on a computer when you are on the Web and when you log on to The Silver Screen Oasis.

I recently learned that some forum members use a smartphone to access the Internet. I can only imagine how the layout and design of Web pages look on a phone.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

EP Millstone wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:51 pm Hibi,

Are you on a computer when you are on the Web and when you log on to The Silver Screen Oasis.

I recently learned that some forum members use a smartphone to access the Internet. I can only imagine how the layout and design of Web pages look on a phone.
Yes, I'm on a computer. I was confused about the Board Index, because that's where it takes me when I log in. I think I get it now. Thanks for your patience.
Last edited by Hibi on December 7th, 2022, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Hibi wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:51 pm . . . What if you just want to start something new on board index? Will a new thread down there automatically show up on board index then? This site still confuses me. :(

So any new thread will appear on Board index automatically? (as well as any new post to a thread?) That's what is confusing me.

Thanks for explaining.
Only SSO system administrators can create sections, topics, and forums at the Board index level.

Yes, if you create a topic in a forum and it gets activity, it will automatically appear in the Board index.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I don't know, the site here seems much busier than it was a few weeks ago....
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Thanks to me, LOL!
CinemaInternational

As for the whole "God" thing and TB, I was once part of a website based on the same forum software (it was the movie group that kicked me to the curb), and I am pretty sure that the site creator always gets "God" listed next to his name, and the same might be true for the most frequent posters
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: December 7th, 2022, 6:00 pm Thanks to me, LOL!
Oh, I think we all have been posting more!
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 7th, 2022, 6:01 pm As for the whole "God" thing and TB, I was once part of a website based on the same forum software (it was the movie group that kicked me to the curb), and I am pretty sure that the site creator always gets "God" listed next to his name, and the same might be true for the most frequent posters
I just checked and yes, instead of something before "member" (e.g. New Member, Full Member etc..), under TB's it says "God".

Yea, that is odd, at best. You say "the site creator always gets "God" listed next to his name"; are you saying this is some type of default that the site creator has no control over? (because if not, for the site creator to do that themselves, is out-there).
CinemaInternational

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 7th, 2022, 6:12 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: December 7th, 2022, 6:01 pm As for the whole "God" thing and TB, I was once part of a website based on the same forum software (it was the movie group that kicked me to the curb), and I am pretty sure that the site creator always gets "God" listed next to his name, and the same might be true for the most frequent posters
I just checked and yes, instead of something before "member" (e.g. New Member, Full Member etc..), under TB's it says "God".

Yea, that is odd, at best. You say "the site creator always gets "God" listed next to his name"; are you saying this is some type of default that the site creator has no control over? (because if not, for the site creator to do that themselves, is out-there).
I think it might be a default, I just went and looked at the site I was kicked out of, and several are marked as "God tier"
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 7th, 2022, 6:15 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 7th, 2022, 6:12 pm

I think it might be a default, I just went and looked at the site I was kicked out of, and several are marked as "God tier"
OH, BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 7th, 2022, 6:02 pm
Hibi wrote: December 7th, 2022, 6:00 pm Thanks to me, LOL!
Oh, I think we all have been posting more!
I was just kidding. But I have been posting a lot today. (LOL).
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 7th, 2022, 11:41 am Nipkowdisc won the lottery.
Actually Nipkowdisc came fourth. There were three winners then Nipkowdisc became the alternate. Sort of like if Miss America cannot fulfill her duties Nipkowdisc would step in and get the $10 gift certificate.
Last edited by Feinberg on December 7th, 2022, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

TB wasn’t always listed as “God” on the other site. I suspect that any member of that site will be listed the same once they hit 500 posts.