TCM Premieres....

Discussion of programming on TCM.
HoldenIsHere

Re: TCM Premieres....

Post by HoldenIsHere »

txfilmfan wrote: May 31st, 2024, 2:23 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: May 31st, 2024, 2:01 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 30th, 2024, 5:50 pm

Thank you for this information! I had no idea.
Here's a clip of Ben Platt and Micaela Diamond (who played Leo Frank's wife Lucille) performing "This Is Not Over Yet" from PARADE.

This was an excellent production, and I'm glad I saw it. I do find it humorous, however, when the promo video has more elaborate sets than the actual production!
Yes, it looks like the promo video was shot at a rehearsal space.

Here's a performance by Ben Platt and Micaela Diamond on the TODAY with sets that more closely match what was used in the actual production of PARADE.

The sweetie and I saw Micaela Diamond in the pre-Broadway run of THE CHER SHOW in Chicago.
She played one of the three Chers, the teenage girl who met Sonny Bono.

ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

late Sun., 6-2
TCM Imports...

(times ET)

2:00
am

"El casado casa quiere" (1950)
1h 22m | Foreign | TV-PG

Two young lovers are building their house, but their relatives don't stop interfering, finally cutting off the young man's income and alienating them,
This film is a remake of a 1931 American RKO film called "Too Many Cooks."
Remade as Una familia de diez (2007)

Director
Gilberto Martínez Solares
Cast
María Elena Marqués, Malú Gatica, Rafael Baledón

3:30
am

"Los que volvieron" (1947)
1h 18m | Drama | TV-PG

This Mexican remake of "5 Came Back" focuses on a plane crash that forces a dozen stranded passengers to band together in order to stay alive.

Director
Alejandro Galindo
Cast
Sara García, David Silva, Malú Gatica

"... In 1944, RKO Radio Pictures, Inc. entered into an equal partnership with a group headed by Mexican financier, Emilio Azcárraga, to construct a new motion picture studio complex, Churubusco Studios, in what was then a suburb of Mexico City. Churubusco functioned primarily as a rental facility for numerous independent production companies, but RKO also created a subsidiary company, Ramex, S.A., headed by producer José M. Noriega, to produced remakes, in Spanish, of properties owned by RKO.
Los que volvieron (Those Who Returned) was the first of five to go into production. The films were released in the U.S. by Clasa-Mohme, Inc. In 1947, the Mexican partners bought out RKO's interest and Ramex, S.A. ceased production. [Ladronzuela, a 1949 production with an original screenplay, does list Ramex, S.A. in its credit titles, but that film is considered to be solely a Mexican enterprise.]
Los que volvieron was a remake of the 1939 RKO film Five Came Back, directed by John Farrow and starring Chester Morris and Lucille Ball ....."

https://catalog.afi.com/Catalog/moviedetails/27724
:smiley_chinrub:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

I have both set to record.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Coming up on June 4 is The Velvet Touch, which is somewhat like All About Eve as a film noir. Rosalind Russell plays the famous actress. Theater life isn't always pleasant, and a murder ensues.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

kingrat wrote: June 1st, 2024, 5:15 pm Coming up on June 4 is The Velvet Touch, which is somewhat like All About Eve as a film noir. Rosalind Russell plays the famous actress. Theater life isn't always pleasant, and a murder ensues.
Is The Velvet Touch a TCM premiere? It is an RKO film and thus was part of the former Turner library of films.

The film has a good supporting cast with iconic noir actress Claire Trevor and just getting started Martha Hyer, as well as Warner Bro vets in Sydney Greenstreet and Frank McHugh.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

no, "The Velvet Touch" is not a premiere
I've seen this on TCM before
:?
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

The Velvet Touch is a cheesy movie.

Oh, wait, that was The Velveeta Touch.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

ziggy6708a wrote: June 1st, 2024, 4:35 pm late Sun., 6-2
TCM Imports...

(times ET)

2:00
am

"El casado casa quiere" (1950)
1h 22m | Foreign | TV-PG

Two young lovers are building their house, but their relatives don't stop interfering, finally cutting off the young man's income and alienating them,
This film is a remake of a 1931 American RKO film called "Too Many Cooks."
Remade as Una familia de diez (2007)

Director
Gilberto Martínez Solares
Cast
María Elena Marqués, Malú Gatica, Rafael Baledón

3:30
am

"Los que volvieron" (1947)
1h 18m | Drama | TV-PG

This Mexican remake of "5 Came Back" focuses on a plane crash that forces a dozen stranded passengers to band together in order to stay alive.

Director
Alejandro Galindo
Cast
Sara García, David Silva, Malú Gatica

"... In 1944, RKO Radio Pictures, Inc. entered into an equal partnership with a group headed by Mexican financier, Emilio Azcárraga, to construct a new motion picture studio complex, Churubusco Studios, in what was then a suburb of Mexico City. Churubusco functioned primarily as a rental facility for numerous independent production companies, but RKO also created a subsidiary company, Ramex, S.A., headed by producer José M. Noriega, to produced remakes, in Spanish, of properties owned by RKO.
Los que volvieron (Those Who Returned) was the first of five to go into production. The films were released in the U.S. by Clasa-Mohme, Inc. In 1947, the Mexican partners bought out RKO's interest and Ramex, S.A. ceased production. [Ladronzuela, a 1949 production with an original screenplay, does list Ramex, S.A. in its credit titles, but that film is considered to be solely a Mexican enterprise.]
Los que volvieron was a remake of the 1939 RKO film Five Came Back, directed by John Farrow and starring Chester Morris and Lucille Ball ....."

https://catalog.afi.com/Catalog/moviedetails/27724
a bump for Sun. TCM Imports... :smilie_happy_thumbup:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

MON., 6-3

(times ET)

5:15
pm

"Ennio" (2021)
2 hr. 36 min.

Giuseppe Tornatore pays tribute to Ennio Morricone in a documentary portrait of the prolific composer, exploring the breadth of the maestro's career across the hundreds of film scores he wrote.
Director:
Giuseppe Tornatore

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3031654/

10:45 (ck your local listing)
pm

"The Mission" (1986)
2h 5m | Drama

Eighteenth-century Spanish Jesuits try to protect a remote South American tribe in danger of falling under the rule of pro-slavery Portugal.

Director
Roland Joffe
Cast
Robert De Niro, Jeremy Irons, Ray McAnally, Aidan Quinn, Cherie Lunghi, and Liam Neeson.

"The Mission received mixed to positive reviews from critics. The review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reported that 66% of critics have given the film a positive review based on 29 reviews, with an average rating of 6.4/10. The site's critics consensus reads, "The Mission is a well-meaning epic given delicate heft by its sumptuous visuals and a standout score by Ennio Morricone, but its staid presentation never stirs an emotional investment in its characters."[13] On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 55 out of 100 based on 18 critic reviews, indicating "mixed or average reviews"....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mission_(1986_film)
& https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091530/?r ... 520mission

was "mr6666" @ TCM
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

The Mexican movies they showed were nothing special. It was the exact same dialogue except remade with different actors in Spanish.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: June 1st, 2024, 5:23 pm
kingrat wrote: June 1st, 2024, 5:15 pm Coming up on June 4 is The Velvet Touch, which is somewhat like All About Eve as a film noir. Rosalind Russell plays the famous actress. Theater life isn't always pleasant, and a murder ensues.
Is The Velvet Touch a TCM premiere? It is an RKO film and thus was part of the former Turner library of films.

The film has a good supporting cast with iconic noir actress Claire Trevor and just getting started Martha Hyer, as well as Warner Bro vets in Sydney Greenstreet and Frank McHugh.
I'm pretty sure it's been shown before, but not often. Looks like it's a Roz birthday tribute today.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

late THURS., 6-6
early Fri

(times ET)

2:15
am

"Eye Of The Needle" (1981)
1h 51m | Action | TV-MA

about a German Nazi spy in the United Kingdom during World War II who discovers vital information about the upcoming D-Day invasion and his attempt to return to Germany while he is stranded with a family on the isolated (fictional) Storm Island, off the coast of Scotland.

Director
Richard Marquand

Cast
Donald Sutherland, Kate Nelligan

"Roger Ebert "admired the movie" and stated that it "resembles nothing so much as one of those downbeat, plodding, quietly horrifying, and sometimes grimly funny war movies that used to be made by the British film industry, back when there was a British film industry."[2]

George Lucas was impressed by the film and hired director Richard Marquand to helm 1983’s Return of the Jedi. On Rotten Tomatoes, 85% out of 20 critics gave the film positive reviews. ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_the_Needle_(film)

===================================\
late FRI., early Sat., 6-8

3:15
am

"My Beautiful Laundrette" (1985)
1h 37m | Comedy

In a seedy corner of London, Omar (Gordon Warnecke), a young Pakistani, is given a run-down laundromat by his uncle (Saeed Jaffrey), who hopes to turn it into a successful business.
Soon after, Omar is attacked by a group of racist punks, but defuses the situation when he realizes their leader is his former lover, Johnny (Daniel Day-Lewis). The men resume their relationship and rehabilitate the laundromat together, but various social forces threaten to compromise their success.

Director
Stephen Frears
Cast
Daniel Day-lewis, Gordon Warnecke, Saeed Jaffrey

"My Beautiful Laundrette received positive reviews. It holds a 98% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes from 42 critics, with an average rating of 8.2/10.
...The website's critics consensus reads, "My Beautiful Laundrette is fast and all over the place because it has so much to say, and show, including a highly watchable fresh-faced Daniel Day-Lewis."[10]
On Metacritic, the film holds a weighted average score of 75 out of 100, based on 20 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews"....
Daniel Day-Lewis received the award for Best Supporting Actor from the U.S. National Board of Review of Motion Pictures, and the picture was nominated for Best Film....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Beautiful_Laundrette

was "mr6666" @ TCM
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

ziggy6708a wrote: June 6th, 2024, 4:47 pm late THURS., 6-6
early Fri

(times ET)

2:15
am

"Eye Of The Needle" (1981)
1h 51m | Action | TV-MA

about a German Nazi spy in the United Kingdom during World War II who discovers vital information about the upcoming D-Day invasion and his attempt to return to Germany while he is stranded with a family on the isolated (fictional) Storm Island, off the coast of Scotland.

Director
Richard Marquand

Cast
Donald Sutherland, Kate Nelligan
This is a good thrller, and features a fine score by Miklós Rózsa.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Early this morning TCM also showed the premiere of Code Name: Emerald (1985) with Ed Harris and Max von Sydow, a rare film to see on cable.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088934/

(The theme on TCM today is the 80th anniversary of D-Day, so they are showing films related to World War II all day.)

It is now available on WatchTCM if you missed it - TCM has a very nice print of the film.

The number of premieres on TCM this month is off the charts.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 31st, 2024, 4:41 pm
txfilmfan wrote: May 31st, 2024, 2:23 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: May 31st, 2024, 2:01 pm

Here's a clip of Ben Platt and Micaela Diamond (who played Leo Frank's wife Lucille) performing "This Is Not Over Yet" from PARADE.

This was an excellent production, and I'm glad I saw it. I do find it humorous, however, when the promo video has more elaborate sets than the actual production!
Yes, it looks like the promo video was shot at a rehearsal space.

Here's a performance by Ben Platt and Micaela Diamond on the TODAY with sets that more closely match what was used in the actual production of PARADE.

The sweetie and I saw Micaela Diamond in the pre-Broadway run of THE CHER SHOW in Chicago.
She played one of the three Chers, the teenage girl who met Sonny Bono.

Fascinating! Oh my gosh -- Leo Frank sings "I'm at the end of my rope"

He surely was.