Least and Most Favorite Movie of the week

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jamesjazzguitar

Re: Least and Most Favorite Movie of the week

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

TikiSoo wrote: December 4th, 2022, 6:39 am Yay! I always liked this thread skimpole!
Please note that all of skimpole's post have been deleted.
skimpole

Post by skimpole »

So my old posts have been deleted, and nobody knows why or how to bring them back. I am extremely annoyed at being treated this way and that I should have to pay for someone else's incompetence. Let me post the movies I've already seen this year and hope they won't be deleted again:

Kentucky Fried Movie
Mothra vs. Godzilla
The Holdovers
Godzilla Minus One
May/December

History is made at Night
The Johnstown Flood
Saltburn
Maestro

King: A Filmed Record from Montgomery to Memphis
Song of Freedom
The Black Marble
Joyland
Beau is Afraid

The Delinquents
Poor Things
Being Two isn't Easy
Something's Gotta Give
Get on the Bus
Rustin

The Emperor Jones
Totem
The Zone of Interest
Nyad

Master Gardner
American Fiction
Fame
The Man who Skied Down Mt. Everest
Talk to Me
skimpole

Post by skimpole »

Last week I saw three films: The Taste of Things was the most enjoyable of the three. Seeing the welcome return, at least to North American audiences of Tran Anh Hung, the movie tells the story of a late 19th century French gourmand (played by Benoit Magimel) and his indispensable cook and part-time lover (played by Julie Binoche). As such the meals are beautifully presented and show with lovely cinematography and special attention to detail. After we get a long but appropriate scene showing what our two protagonists have devoted their life's work to, we learn more about Binoche's health which develops the plot more. It's one of the finest movies of the previous year, even if Binoche's performance isn't as deep as some of her others in the past decade.

In 1962, French cinema gave us Jules et Jim, Vivre sa vie and Cleo from 5 to 7. However, instead of choosing one of these films, France's official entry for Best Foreign Language film was Sundays and Cybele, and the Academy rewarded it with the oscar. Notwithstanding this success the director, although still alive, hasn't made a movie since the death of Charles De Gaulle. Admired at the time by critics, soon it got the reputation of a pseudo-New Wave film, for those who couldn't stand the real thing. Although it's not that the actors are bad, this story of a wounded war veteran who develops a "truly innocent" relationship with a twelve year old girl whose father abandons her at a Catholic boarding school suffers from a half century'sconcern about child abuse. The movie is sort of what if censors had gotten hold of the script for Lolita (another 1962 release) and turned it into mincemeat. Humbert Humbert isn't really improved by making him truly loving and docking 50 IQ points.

A better use of New Wave techniques is seen in the Soviet film I am Twenty, released in truncated form in 1965. This story of the new generation of Soviet youth shows them as a thoughtful, respectful lot thinking about developing relationships and working for the general good, but with handheld camera work, use of location shooting, overlapping dialogue and non-staged scenes. While not as profound as the best New Age films, it does allow us to see Moscow in the sixties and it clearly rankled soviet officials in their late fifties and sixties who had grown too used to unquestioning obedience.