I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Allhallowsday

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Allhallowsday »

Trying again:

JAWS (1975) Are there different cuts of this film? Does Mrs Kintner slap or spit?

Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Allhallowsday wrote: May 5th, 2024, 3:42 pm Trying again:

JAWS (1975) Are there different cuts of this film? Does Mrs Kintner slap or spit?
Or swallow?
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Au hasard Balthazar (1966).

Parallel stories of donkey and French village girl each suffering unrelenting cases of "sh!t happens".

This is one of those movies where I wonder what the critics who select the films for lists like the Sight and Sound all-time lists are smoking. It's not a bad movie; it certainly has excellent black-and-white cinematography and very effectively gets its point about suffering across. But one of the top 20 films of all time? (Wikipedia says it was #16 in the 2012 poll; I haven't looked up later editions to see where it's ranked now.) Really?
laffite

Post by laffite »

Fedya wrote: May 5th, 2024, 6:16 pm Au hasard Balthazar (1966).

Parallel stories of donkey and French village girl each suffering unrelenting cases of "sh!t happens".

This is one of those movies where I wonder what the critics who select the films for lists like the Sight and Sound all-time lists are smoking. It's not a bad movie; it certainly has excellent black-and-white cinematography and very effectively gets its point about suffering across. But one of the top 20 films of all time? (Wikipedia says it was #16 in the 2012 poll; I haven't looked up later editions to see where it's ranked now.) Really?
No, not really. O should not be. Agree completely, it's a good movie and let it end there. These all-time lists are full of nonsense (often), as you know. How many "critics" are in on these type lists. It's not credible that a random selections of whoever makes up these list would just so have that movie as #16 !! Of all time ?? LoL
The Shining Hour (1938)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I am still recovering from PORTNOY'S COMPLAINT.

Oy vey.

Not the best choice.....
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:06 pm I am still recovering from PORTNOY'S COMPLAINT.

Oy vey.

Not the best choice.....
Karen Black scares me in this one!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

lol, more than BURNT OFFERINGS?
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Or --- TRILOGY OF TERROR!

Actually it was Lee Grant as Alex's mother who was the real scary one.

I barely recognized Jill Clayburgh as the Israeli girl.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:46 pm lol, more than BURNT OFFERINGS?
I admit that she scares me more at the end of BURNT OFFERINGS.
"I've been waiting for you. Ben . . ."
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I never get tired of A FACE IN THE CROWD (which is a good thing since they air it so much, lol) so decided to dive in again.

Now, some of you might know that my recent great will power (not when it comes to Lay's Dill Pickle potato chips) concerning maintaining a calm attitude towards a certain main host's intros and outros was, shall I say, sorely tested the other night while this individual was chatting with their guest programmer about the prescient nature of the movie. Mr. Main went political, naming three people on a certain side of the aisle, including the current presumptive presidential nominee.

I admittedly fumed for about five minutes, then took deep breaths and went into zen mode. Slowly but surely, all was well again!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:59 pm I never get tired of A FACE IN THE CROWD (which is a good thing since they air it so much, lol) so decided to dive in again.

Now, some of you might know that my recent great will power (not when it comes to Lay's Dill Pickle potato chips) concerning maintaining a calm attitude towards a certain main host's intros and outros was, shall I say, sorely tested the other night while this individual was chatting with their guest programmer about the prescient nature of the movie. Mr. Main went political, naming three people on a certain side of the aisle, including the current presumptive presidential nominee.

I admittedly fumed for about five minutes, then took deep breaths and went into zen mode. Slowly but surely, all was well again!
I’m a fan of Andy Griffith on TV but his movies are annoying.
No Time For Sargents/A Face In The Crowd are crazy stupid.
Love Matlock and enjoy the Andy Griffith show.
The Waitress was okay and Play The Game was Andy’s suggestive side.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Lonesome Rhodes is one of those come-from-nowhere performances that always astound me. I wonder where Andy pulled that darkness from? Great acting. I can understand your feelings, jimimac, about NTFS but I do think AFITC is one of Kazan's best. One never expects to see Walter Matthau as "Vanderbilt '44" but he does a credible job, albeit helped along by the "intellectual" props of pipe and glasses, lol. Patricia Neal is terrific. Her anguished groan after seeing Lonesome descend from the plane with a certain someone is unforgettable.
laffite

Post by laffite »

jimimac71 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 9:16 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:59 pm I never get tired of A FACE IN THE CROWD (which is a good thing since they air it so much, lol) so decided to dive in again.

I’m a fan of Andy Griffith on TV but his movies are annoying.
No Time For Sargents/A Face In The Crowd are crazy stupid.
Love Matlock and enjoy the Andy Griffith show.
The Waitress was okay and Play The Game was Andy’s suggestive side.
I can't get through Face in the Crowd but it is evident that he was a great actor. But if I have it right from reading he ne'er came close to potential after that, due to his rather bland career choices.
The Shining Hour (1938)
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 9:25 pm Lonesome Rhodes is one of those come-from-nowhere performances that always astound me. I wonder where Andy pulled that darkness from? Great acting. I can understand your feelings, jimimac, about NTFS but I do think AFITC is one of Kazan's best. One never expects to see Walter Matthau as "Vanderbilt '44" but he does a credible job, albeit helped along by the "intellectual" props of pipe and glasses, lol. Patricia Neal is terrific. Her anguished groan after seeing Lonesome descend from the plane with a certain someone is unforgettable.
There are stories of Griffith's temper on set of his first series that would indicate there's a bit of Lonesome in him. There's probably a bit of Lonesome in most of us. Griffith's folksy demeanor in portraying Andy Taylor was an acting job, after all.

George Lindsey was on record stating that "Most of us were deathly afraid of Andy. Every Monday night, he would call you if he liked your performance.
If the call didn't come, I dreaded going back to work on Tuesday morning." There's also a story of him breaking a car windshield after an argument with his wife.

There are a couple of episodes in the second season of The Andy Griffith Show where Andy Taylor's hand is in a cast. The reason? Griffith got so angry on set that he punched a wall, spraining his wrist.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Oh my gosh, txfilmfan, I got a chill reading that! Had no idea...

Or, to quote Lonesome, "Moly Hoses!"