I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
User avatar
Allhallowsday
Posts: 1378
Joined: November 17th, 2022, 6:19 pm

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Allhallowsday »

ImageImage
User avatar
CinemaInternational
Posts: 688
Joined: October 23rd, 2022, 3:12 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by CinemaInternational »

Lorna wrote: February 9th, 2024, 12:38 pm Do you ever wonder if sometimes people invited Jessica to be a houseguest for the weekend specifically in the hopes that a family member who had been irritating them even more than usual would be murdered?
Perhaps. There were a small handful of episodes though, like "The Days Dwindle Down", "Trouble in Eden", "Alma Murder", and "Hannigan's Wake" where the murder occurred before Jessica arrived on the scene, but otherwise it does beg the question as to why she kept being invited places when death followed her everywhere.
User avatar
Allhallowsday
Posts: 1378
Joined: November 17th, 2022, 6:19 pm

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Allhallowsday »

CinemaInternational wrote: February 9th, 2024, 4:15 pm ... There were a small handful of episodes though, like "The Days Dwindle Down", "Trouble in Eden", "Alma Murder", and "Hannigan's Wake" where the murder occurred before Jessica arrived on the scene, but otherwise it does beg the question as to why she kept being invited places when death followed her everywhere.


Image
User avatar
Lorna
Posts: 377
Joined: October 26th, 2023, 10:32 am

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

kingrat wrote: February 9th, 2024, 11:27 pm One of the moments I liked best in Cane River was when the girl was accusing the guy's family of not being black enough, and he told her that when he was growing up, whenever someone black appeared on TV, whoever was watching would call out "Colored!" and everyone else would run to see them.
Dang, just now went looking for CANE RIVER and it is sadly not included in TCM titles on demand. Must’ve been a rights issue or some thing. You gave it such a good write
up. I really wanted to check it out.
User avatar
BagelOnAPlate
Posts: 222
Joined: March 2nd, 2023, 12:41 am

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Lorna wrote: February 10th, 2024, 5:06 am
kingrat wrote: February 9th, 2024, 11:27 pm One of the moments I liked best in Cane River was when the girl was accusing the guy's family of not being black enough, and he told her that when he was growing up, whenever someone black appeared on TV, whoever was watching would call out "Colored!" and everyone else would run to see them.
Dang, just now went looking for CANE RIVER and it is sadly not included in TCM titles on demand. Must’ve been a rights issue or some thing. You gave it such a good write
up. I really wanted to check it out.
Cane River is vailable on Watch TCM until March 8.
User avatar
BagelOnAPlate
Posts: 222
Joined: March 2nd, 2023, 12:41 am

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

CinemaInternational wrote: February 7th, 2024, 11:50 pm Watched the next episode of the Feud miniseries, which again took some liberties. (There never was a documentary filmed about Capote's famous black and white ball, but I assume that this was invented for the sole purpose of getting an episode that is over 90% B&W [ and in the old academy ratio to boot] made in the 21st century in the first place)

This episode, in spite of making a few nods to Capote's future book and downfall, plays basically as an ornate standalone showing how powerful Capote was at his height, given that it doesn't really push the plot forward as the whole thing is shown in retrospect.
The Maysles brothers did shoot the short black-and-white film With Love From Truman (originally released as A Visit With Truman Capote in 1966, the same year as his black-and-white ball. Feud seems to be suggesting that the Maysles shot footage of the ball that Capote decided not to be released.
I do like the way filmmakers today use different aspect ratios often within the same film.

These limited series allow stories to be expounded on in ways that could never be done in a feature movie with entire episodes used only to reveal character without being concerned with advancing plot. Ryan Murphy uses this technique a lot in his series.

My favorite part of the episode was the part where Truman Capote took delight in pouncing on the party crashers, who were revealed to be Ann Woodward (Demi Moore) and her son.
My favorite line had to be Truman's response to Ann Woodward when asked why she couldn't attend since she was practically one of his "swans."
TRUMAN: "You were never a swan. You were a peafowl at best."
User avatar
Allhallowsday
Posts: 1378
Joined: November 17th, 2022, 6:19 pm

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Allhallowsday »

kingrat wrote: February 11th, 2024, 1:26 pm Perhaps it was appropriate for TCM to show Pollock (2000) in the Best Supporting Actress Winners category, because Marcia Gay Harden's performance as the painter Lee Krasner is the heart and soul of the film. Is "perfect" too strong a word? Here's a good example of the actor playing the accent, not the accent playing the actor...
I watched much of POLLOCK last night. I am a huge fan of MARCIA GAY HARDEN who is superb. I found the film kind of dull.
User avatar
Allhallowsday
Posts: 1378
Joined: November 17th, 2022, 6:19 pm

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Allhallowsday »

Allhallowsday wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 5:44 pm GRAN TORINO (2008) Beautiful. :( :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Image
Again this afternoon. I love this movie.
User avatar
jimimac71
Posts: 770
Joined: January 17th, 2023, 1:50 pm

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by jimimac71 »

Allhallowsday wrote: February 11th, 2024, 3:43 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 5:44 pm GRAN TORINO (2008) Beautiful. :( :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Image
Again this afternoon. I love this movie.
Green, in the racing world, use to be called a Voodoo Wagon.
I got a kick out of your JPG image being tagged in French.
Avatar: Moses aka JackA.
User avatar
Lorna
Posts: 377
Joined: October 26th, 2023, 10:32 am

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: February 10th, 2024, 9:21 pm
Lorna wrote: February 10th, 2024, 5:06 am
kingrat wrote: February 9th, 2024, 11:27 pm One of the moments I liked best in Cane River was when the girl was accusing the guy's family of not being black enough, and he told her that when he was growing up, whenever someone black appeared on TV, whoever was watching would call out "Colored!" and everyone else would run to see them.
Dang, just now went looking for CANE RIVER and it is sadly not included in TCM titles on demand. Must’ve been a rights issue or some thing. You gave it such a good write
up. I really wanted to check it out.
Cane River is vailable on Watch TCM until March 8.
so back when they shuttered the message boards, I deleted WATCH TCM.

So the way I watch TCM now is thru HULU and CANE RIVER was not included in the ON DEMAND TITLES but then I just did a basic search and POP it came up.

So I am watching it and I have thirty minutes left to go, and I have to be up front with the fact that while I get that this film is important- and often compelling- as a social/historical/time capsule....the mechanics (acting and script-wise) are a little creaky and one may find watching it in installments helps

i don't dislike it though, and can't help but be reminded of the works of DOUGLAS SIRK as I watch-- especially from 1. how idyllic the senery is and how well bold colors are used and 2. how people spend an hour and a half creating problems for themselves where there don't need to be any.

with a real professional polish- this could have been quite something

I am particularly taken aback by all the scenery of rural LOUISIANA ca. 1981/2 and how INCREDIBLY LUSH AND VERDANT IT ALL IS, they must've filmed this after one Hell of a rainy spring.

Image
User avatar
Lorna
Posts: 377
Joined: October 26th, 2023, 10:32 am

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

oh,

also also, I raised an eyebrow at the scene in CANE RIVER where THE HERO meets with A LOCAL LAWYER in order to contest his LATE AUNT'S WILL:


LAWYER
"Was your aunt known to exhibit evidence of insanity?"

HERO
"Yeah man, anyone in town could tell you she was NUTS. She lived all alone in this big house with, like, 20 dogs!!!!"




AS A SOUTHERNER MYSELF, I had to sit up and call A TIME/OUT on this.

Dude, you just described a good 6 outta 10 women over the age of 60 living below the Mason-Dixon line. Like, 120 dogs and she thought she was JOAN OF ARC- that maybe we can work with, but this? Nah. You just described four of my own aunts and a cousin to me.
Post Reply