I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
CinemaInternational

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: March 25th, 2024, 2:04 pm
txfilmfan wrote: March 25th, 2024, 11:10 am
Lorna wrote: March 25th, 2024, 11:00 am

it's SO OBSCURE it doesn't even have A WIKIPEDIA ENTRY!!!!
I have NO IDEA what network it ran on or if it did.

dunno if it's available anywhere else but PRIME.
It was on NBC.

There are Wikipedia articles for it, but not in English, and under its other title: The Love She Sought.
WILD. I wonder how I missed it. Was it a Hallmark Hall of Fame entry? (Remember those?)
Looked that up, it wasn't a Hallmark Hall of Fame (they have a list of those: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_H ... e_episodes), but rather it was done by Orion Television, now part of MGM's holdings. So, it is likely streaming now because Amazon owns MGM and they can air it as part of extra volume for their streaming service.

CinemaInternational

Oh, and after taking in all those recent films, I felt I needed a break, so I took a look at the early talkie Hell's Angels (concerning WWI), and while a bit sluggish at times, it is great fun to watch. It's fun to see a film that doesn't take itself quite so seriously.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Hibi wrote: March 25th, 2024, 10:03 am

I disliked those episodes that tried to make Jessica "hip" and "with it" by putting her in situations like this episode.
CinemaInternational

Also, maybe the script on the Lansbury TV movie was underwritten because the two men it was written by were busy trying to get their series, Sisters, picked up by NBC. They later did Queer as Folk for Showtime.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

ONE OF the few real issues I have with MURDER, SHE WROTE is the fact that, for whatever reason, JESSICA was never allowed to REALLY get genuinely EMOTIONAL, even when it was very much called for- there is even (AS I RECALL) a series of three episodes in a row in SEASON SIX- THE LAST FLIGHT OF THE DIXIE DAMSEL where her dead husband is accused of murder, one whose title eludes me but she goes OUT WEST and is pursued romantically by a war buddy of her husband's whose daughter in law vanishes after meeting with a psychic and TREVOR HUDSON'S LEGACY, where she basically gets a young writer killed (it's a unique episode, VERRY TRASHY and with a lot of sex [for MsW])- AND IN ALL THREE CASES, it would have been TOTALLY CALLED FOR FOR HER TO REALLY LOSE HER COMPOSURE ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS, but nah not really. (and even later on in the MIRROR, MIRROR two parter- she comes close when SETH almost dies, but not really)

I remember when I saw the episodes on their first run as a kid, I was STUNNED by the episode THE RETURN OF PRESTON GILES because it includes scenes from the finale of THE PILOT which was THE ONE TIME she (as JESSICA) really TEARED UP and HER VOICE BROKE and she did, in fact, lose it.

It was like seeing YOUR GRANDMA CRY!!!!!!!!!!!

ALSO when I was a kid, I was always amused by her catchphrase almost every time she finds a dead body, a rather calmly delivered and hushed "Oh Dear Lord!"- it became her "hi, I'm SHELLEY DUVALL."

guess they didn't want to mess with THE FORMULA, but really, they shoulda let ANGIE as JESSICA (not COUSIN EMMA- ugh!) lose it at least once a season and make that her EMMY EPISODE.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

ps- not gonna post it here, but if anyone is interested, THE LOVE SHE SOUGHT is available in full on youtube.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: March 26th, 2024, 8:11 am ONE OF the few real issues I have with MURDER, SHE WROTE is the fact that, for whatever reason, JESSICA was never allowed to REALLY get genuinely EMOTIONAL, even when it was very much called for- there is even (AS I RECALL) a series of three episodes in a row in SEASON SIX- THE LAST FLIGHT OF THE DIXIE DAMSEL where her dead husband is accused of murder, one whose title eludes me but she goes OUT WEST and is pursued romantically by a war buddy of her husband's whose daughter in law vanishes after meeting with a psychic and TREVOR HUDSON'S LEGACY, where she basically gets a young writer killed (it's a unique episode, VERRY TRASHY and with a lot of sex [for MsW])- AND IN ALL THREE CASES, it would have been TOTALLY CALLED FOR FOR HER TO REALLY LOSE HER COMPOSURE ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS, but nah not really. (and even later on in the MIRROR, MIRROR two parter- she comes close when SETH almost dies, but not really)

I remember when I saw the episodes on their first run as a kid, I was STUNNED by the episode THE RETURN OF PRESTON GILES because it includes scenes from the finale of THE PILOT which was THE ONE TIME she (as JESSICA) really TEARED UP and HER VOICE BROKE and she did, in fact, lose it.

It was like seeing YOUR GRANDMA CRY!!!!!!!!!!!

ALSO when I was a kid, I was always amused by her catchphrase almost every time she finds a dead body, a rather calmly delivered and hushed "Oh Dear Lord!"- it became her "hi, I'm SHELLEY DUVALL."

guess they didn't want to mess with THE FORMULA, but really, they shoulda let ANGIE as JESSICA (not COUSIN EMMA- ugh!) lose it at least once a season and make that her EMMY EPISODE.

Yes. I think that was a big reason she never won an Emmy for the show. She never had any big emotional scenes. She came close a few times with Seth's poisoning and a couple episodes about her husband. They also never let her have a dark side. (I mean, come on, she must've had some faults!) She gets irritated with some dumb detectives, but is never nasty. Still I think she deserved one for all those years of work and creating a beloved character whose show is still popular today. Really sticks in my craw they never gave her one, nor for her multi-nominations in other tv projects.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: March 26th, 2024, 8:19 am ps- not gonna post it here, but if anyone is interested, THE LOVE SHE SOUGHT is available in full on youtube.
Thanks!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I saw that episode recently about that dead writer and Jessica really gets into it with Michael Learned. No hair pulling but it gets borderline nasty with some bitchy exchanges in several scenes. And I agree, Jessica should've been more emotional about it. But they let her get sort of there.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: March 26th, 2024, 11:17 am I saw that episode [TREVOR HUDSON'S LEGACY] recently about that dead writer and Jessica really gets into it with Michael Learned. No hair pulling but it gets borderline nasty with some bitchy exchanges in several scenes. And I agree, Jessica should've been more emotional about it. But they let her get sort of there.
YES!

And what makes it better is that MICHAEL LEARNED is SO BAD in every scene (she's like EVIL JOANNA KERNS) and she has THIS VERY PRONOUNCED LISP so that even when she's insulting JESSICA it's kinda low key hilarious.

"thath the kind of thing that only happenth in theap thuspenth novelth, like the kind you write, Jethica."
Last edited by Lorna on March 26th, 2024, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

to wit, this is JETHICAS ETHACT REACTHION:

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LOL!!!!!!!
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

SADLY I COULD NOT FIND PICS, but STEVE FORREST appears in TREVOR HUDSON'S LEGACY as well, as the SHERIFF and he has a BEARD and, as I recall A COWBOY HAT and he is HOTTTTTTT!!!!!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: March 26th, 2024, 12:02 pm SADLY I COULD NOT FIND PICS, but STEVE FORREST appears in TREVOR HUDSON'S LEGACY as well, as the SHERIFF and he has a BEARD and, as I recall A COWBOY HAT and he is HOTTTTTTT!!!!!
Yeah, I forgot he was in that. That stud the nympho daughter picked up was too.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

you guys ever think of maybe starting a separate thread for Murder She Wrote fans ??
:shock: :smiley_huh:
was "mr6666" @ TCM