I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Hibi »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 17th, 2024, 4:04 pm
Swithin wrote: April 17th, 2024, 10:14 am
kingrat wrote: April 17th, 2024, 9:55 am Karen Black's moment in the sun was brief. FIVE EASY PIECES was a big hit, but when THE DAY OF THE LOCUST was a box office bomb, her career was done for.
Which is a shame, because The Day of the Locust is one of the best films about Hollywood, and Karen Black gave an excellent performance. Among many other virtues, the film is noteworthy for Donald Sutherland's best performance.
I love THE DAY OF THE LOCUST.
I'm a big fan of John Schlesinger's movies, and this is one of his best.
I was eager to see this movie for a long time and I ended up purchasing a digital copy on Amazon.
I thought that Geraldine Page's role as as the radio evangelist would be bigger.

A few years after his performance as Adore in THE DAY OF THE LOCUST, Jackie Earle Haley would go on to play the bad-ass Bear in THE BAD NEWS BEARS (a very entertaining 1970s movie).

OMG! I didn't realize he played that brat!
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I think TALLMAN got in trouble in season three, I could be wrong. I’m too lazy to wiki it.

I will say that all these years later, that drug bust is maybe one of the best things that ever happened to him, because it shows what a good actor he is. Never in my wildest dreams would I have guessed that Hamilton Berger Was that cool in real life.

(if I recall correctly, when he was arrested, he was naked and playing the bongo drums and smoking a joint which, be still my heart- he sounds like a good time)

But on the show? OMG, what a joyless tightass
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 17th, 2024, 4:49 pm I think TALLMAN got in trouble in season three, I could be wrong. I’m too lazy to wiki it.

I will say that all these years later, that drug bust is maybe one of the best things that ever happened to him, because it shows what a good actor he is. Never in my wildest dreams would I have guessed that Hamilton Berger Was that cool in real life.

(if I recall correctly, when he was arrested, he was naked and playing the bongo drums and smoking a joint which, be still my heart- he sounds like a good time)

Me either! I didn't find out about the arrest until many years later after the show was long over. It's amazing the show stood by him and didn't cut him loose after that. That one judge appeared as the heavy in many 3 Stooges shorts. I always chuckle when he's on the case!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Today on Murder, She Wrote:
“The Dark Side of the Door.”
Meg “The Girl With Far Away Eyes,” Foster is in the episode.
She plays a TV reporter in another episode.
Her eyes are spooky to me.
https://buzznigeria.com/us/what-happen ... -mutation/
I don’t mean to poke fun, as I have funny eyes.
Like the old windshield wipers on my school bus, my eyes don’t track the same.
I can see from one eye or the other but not both.
On the plus side, she is quite attractive and seems to act well, at least on Murder, She Wrote.
“The Girl With Far Away Eyes,” is a song by The Rolling Stones.
A friend said it was “Country.”
I think not, but neither is Beyoncé.
That’s the opinion from a Classic Country fan.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I don't remember Meg on MSW but I probably didn't know who she was back then.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Hibi wrote: April 17th, 2024, 5:08 pm I don't remember Meg on MSW but I probably didn't know who she was back then.
You may remember this one:
Joshua Peabody Died Here... Possibly
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0653537/
Masha

Post by Masha »

Lorna wrote: April 17th, 2024, 4:49 pm (if I recall correctly, when he was arrested, he was naked and playing the bongo drums and smoking a joint which, be still my heart- he sounds like a good time)
I believe that the accepted standard is:
You wake up naked.
In a police car.
With a hooker.
And you are driving.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 17th, 2024, 4:04 pm
Swithin wrote: April 17th, 2024, 10:14 am
kingrat wrote: April 17th, 2024, 9:55 am Karen Black's moment in the sun was brief. FIVE EASY PIECES was a big hit, but when THE DAY OF THE LOCUST was a box office bomb, her career was done for.
Which is a shame, because The Day of the Locust is one of the best films about Hollywood, and Karen Black gave an excellent performance. Among many other virtues, the film is noteworthy for Donald Sutherland's best performance.
I love THE DAY OF THE LOCUST.
I'm a big fan of John Schlesinger's movies, and this is one of his best.
I was eager to see this movie for a long time and I ended up purchasing a digital copy on Amazon.
I thought that Geraldine Page's role as as the radio evangelist would be bigger.

A few years after his performance as Adore in THE DAY OF THE LOCUST, Jackie Earle Haley would go on to play the bad-ass Bear in THE BAD NEWS BEARS (a very entertaining 1970s movie).
I think the reason Geraldine Page's character (Big Sister) was not that big in the movie is because it's not in the novel. Great scene though.

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: April 17th, 2024, 4:59 pm
Lorna wrote: April 17th, 2024, 4:49 pm I think TALLMAN got in trouble in season three, I could be wrong. I’m too lazy to wiki it.

Me either! I didn't find out about the arrest until many years later after the show was long over. It's amazing the show stood by him and didn't cut him loose after that.!
I have a theory on that.

Image (this hat is ****ing CUTE)

I'm sure you and many others here know that the executive producer of PERRY MASON was GAIL PATRICK- a former actress who was in some big films in the 1930's. I have a suspicion that as a former actor who had been THROUGH IT, she was a very understanding and forgiving producer when it came to the personal lives of her actors- not just TALLMAN, but honestly, RAYMOND BURR was REALLY OPEN about his homosexuality (for the 1950's)...

EDIT- ALSO the guy who plays THE POLICE LIEUTENANT was five years older than METHUSALAH, but they kept wheelin him out for 10 seasons because I guess they liked him (RAY COLLINS?)

and sometimes i wonder if hiring WILLIAM HOPPER as PAUL DRAKE didn't create a wise and powerful alliance with MOTHER DEAREST, aka HEDDA HOPPER.

James Ellroy could probably write a 500 page novel loaded with utterly filthy swear word combos about the goings on on that set.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jimimac71 wrote: April 17th, 2024, 5:55 pm
Hibi wrote: April 17th, 2024, 5:08 pm I don't remember Meg on MSW but I probably didn't know who she was back then.
You may remember this one:
Joshua Peabody Died Here... Possibly
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0653537/
Yes, I remember that one. I'll watch for it next time it's on. One of the early episodes.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 18th, 2024, 8:02 am
Hibi wrote: April 17th, 2024, 4:59 pm

Me either! I didn't find out about the arrest until many years later after the show was long over. It's amazing the show stood by him and didn't cut him loose after that.!
I have a theory on that.

Image (this hat is ****ing CUTE)

I'm sure you and many others here know that the executive producer of PERRY MASON was GAIL PATRICK- a former actress who was in some big films in the 1930's. I have a suspicion that as a former actor who had been THROUGH IT, she was a very understanding and forgiving producer when it came to the personal lives of her actors- not just TALLMAN, but honestly, RAYMOND BURR was REALLY OPEN about his homosexuality (for the 1950's)...

EDIT- ALSO the guy who plays THE POLICE LIEUTENANT was five years older than METHUSALAH, but they kept wheelin him out for 10 seasons because I guess they liked him (RAY COLLINS?)

and sometimes i wonder if hiring WILLIAM HOPPER as PAUL DRAKE didn't create a wise and powerful alliance with MOTHER DEAREST, aka HEDDA HOPPER.

James Ellroy could probably write a 500 page novel loaded with utterly filthy swear word combos about the goings on on that set.

Yeah, you could be right there.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

There's quite a few PERRY MASON episodes where I get the impression that the reason LT. TRAGG is so DEAD-SET on charging THE FIRST PERSON HE CAN WITH THE MURDER is because they're serving BAKED POTATOES at "THE HOME" tonight and he wants the 4:00 seating.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 18th, 2024, 8:59 am There's quite a few PERRY MASON episodes where I get the impression that the reason LT. TRAGG is so DEAD-SET on charging THE FIRST PERSON HE CAN WITH THE MURDER is because they're serving BAKED POTATOES at "THE HOME" tonight and he wants the 4:00 seating.
I couldn't stand Tragg. A smug SOB know it all. I think he dropped out of the series midway due to health reasons. They added Wesley Lau (couldn't stand him either. Those hats!) and that Anderson actor.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: April 18th, 2024, 9:17 am
Lorna wrote: April 18th, 2024, 8:59 am There's quite a few PERRY MASON episodes where I get the impression that the reason LT. TRAGG is so DEAD-SET on charging THE FIRST PERSON HE CAN WITH THE MURDER is because they're serving BAKED POTATOES at "THE HOME" tonight and he wants the 4:00 seating.
I couldn't stand Tragg. A smug SOB know it all. I think he dropped out of the series midway due to health reasons. They added Wesley Lau (couldn't stand him either. Those hats!) and that Anderson actor.
I'M SURPRISED how ANTAGONISTIC and inept they made THE POLICE/DA on PERRY MASON, for a 1950s show, it pushes the envelope with that.

I'm also amused by how much TRAGG OPENLY DESPISES PERRY MASON and/or PAUL DRAKE every time he sees either of them. It's full DOROTHY ZBORNAK "I COULD VOMIT JUST LOOKING AT YOU!" vibes.