I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
txfilmfan

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by txfilmfan »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 9:40 pm
laffite wrote: June 6th, 2024, 6:48 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 3:44 pm
It's one of the few Hawks movies I haven't seen. Love her in THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT. She's only in a few scenes but her role as a nervous suburban housewife is very funny.
If I should say to myself or to anyone else, "I ADORE Paula Prentiss," I should not feel as if I am exaggerating the least bit... She makes me happy. I see her with all her prettiness and being playful and being delightful... I vaguely remember her in Orient nor anything else for that matter..But I still remember after a fashion. Ack, I am beginning to sound a little astray from my normal wits. I mean that I can talk like this so adoringly about an actress of whom I could not name but one movie that she was in!!! I do believe that there is a movie that I have viewed but have ceased to recall wherein she has imprinted her image and antics in my memory banks. It may be fruitful to consult her filmography.

I remember Paula from four movies: THE STEPFORD WIVES, WHERE THE BOYS ARE, BACHELOR IN PARADISE and THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT. A fine actress and comedienne. Also the t.v. show she did with hubby Richard Benjamin in the 1960's -- "He and She". (boy that dates me!)
If they had done that show 5 years later, it would have had a longer run. 1960s TV viewers weren't quite ready for a sitcom like that.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I vaguely remember Paula's character was a wife who had a job (can't recall what it was) and I guess that wasn't something you'd see on the small screen "back then".
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Paula Prentiss and Richard Benjamin have been married 63 years!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

I love Paula Prentiss's voice.

My favorite role of hers is probably Bobbie in THE STEPFORD WIVES.
I've seen certain scenes from that movie probably over a hundred times.
I guess in TSW she actually plays two roles: Bobbie and NuBobbie.

NuBOBBIE: I thought we were friends. . . I thought we were friends . . . I was just going to get you coffee. . . . I thought we were friends . . .
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 9:42 pm THRILL OF A ROMANCE

Lauritz Melchoir sings a lot, if that's your idea of a good time.
Tis. Tis. Quite. I am showing wonderful restraint in not posting a video. But I leave it up to you. After all, all one has to do ... well, you know. I know Mr Melchoir appeared in at least five Hollywood movies from 1945-1953. I believe I have seen maybe one or two of them,where he sang his specialty, i.e., Wagner. He is the Citizen Kane of Heldentenors, considered by some the greatest of them all. //
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: June 6th, 2024, 10:35 pm I love Paula Prentiss's voice.

My favorite role of hers is probably Bobbie in THE STEPFORD WIVES.
I've seen certain scenes from that movie probably over a hundred times.
I guess in TSW she actually plays two roles: Bobbie and NuBobbie.

NuBOBBIE: I thought we were friends. . . I thought we were friends . . . I was just going to get you coffee. . . . I thought we were friends . . .

I've always loved her voice too. (and she does wonderfully hilarious things with it in THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT)

Katherine Ross -- I could never tell the difference between her normal and robot selves.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

laffite wrote: June 6th, 2024, 10:36 pm

Tis. Tis. Quite. I am showing wonderful restraint in not posting a video. But I leave it up to you. After all, all one has to do ... well, you know. I know Mr Melchoir appeared in at least five Hollywood movies from 1945-1953. I believe I have seen maybe one or two of them,where he sang his specialty, i.e., Wagner. He is the Citizen Kane of Heldentenors, considered by some the greatest of them all. //

Well I was sort of kidding. It's just that I don't cotton to these great performers (and Melchoir was) merely being used as intellectual, cultural fodder for the philistine Hollywood studios (most especially MGM) For me, it kind of "diminishes" their artistry, if that makes any sense. You know, like the ubiquitous Jose Iturbi. (you may have heard of my Jose Iturbi Rule -- if he shows up, you know the film is mediocre at best)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 10:51 pm
laffite wrote: June 6th, 2024, 10:36 pm

Well I was sort of kidding. It's just that I don't cotton to these great performers (and Melchoir was) merely being used as intellectual, cultural fodder for the philistine Hollywood studios (most especially MGM) For me, it kind of "diminishes" their artistry, if that makes any sense. You know, like the ubiquitous Jose Iturbi. (you may have heard of my Jose Iturbi Rule -- if he shows up, you know the film is mediocre at best)
That you were perhaps 'kidding' is good, I get it ; but I still reserve the right to counter in a more serious vein. :smiley_oneglass: I can tell you with absolute certainty that the artistry of Lauritz Melchior was not diminished. Not to overstate its but he was too high on the totem pole for that. I can imagine some smart alec-y types that may have accused him of 'slumming' but even that was probably intoned under one's breath. Melchior commanded respect.

I like Jose Iturbi, but I don't know his movies. If they are mediocre I might go out on a limb and suggest that it wasn't his fault. If the actors were not able to save those movies, then I would blame them.. Iturbi is a musician, not an actor. My fave youtube video is his 'Ritual Fire Dance' which is posted below. I find it highly entertaining. Note there is a link as opposed the usual splash. A little restraint. I don't want to force it on anyone, as he may not be very popular in the Hollywood world and its fans. He actually exhibits some showmanship in the playing, especially the final flourish, oh those arms and hands. Zowie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke9cOO-DMNI
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Well la-di-da! LOL

I will not intone this under my breath but proclaim it loud and clear -- Slumming, slumming, slumming! Jose was a brilliant musician who for whatever reason wound up in the lesser, more mediocre MGM musicals where they throw in these famous artists-in-their-field among the more prole entertainment talents in order to give the audience a taste of class. Lauritz seems to be having fun in those movies, though. Culture for the masses!
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

we were briefly talking about BAD MOVIE THERAPISTS the other day and JUST NOW, THIS SCENE popped into me head, it's so ****ing WEIRD in that wonderful 1980s comedy way, and all three actors are sublime.

"🎶🎶 I love you madly, though you treat me badly....🎶🎶

when she hits him with THE FAN, it slays me every time.

Last edited by Lorna on June 7th, 2024, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

also BOTH those DRESSES are 80's ELEGANCE DEFINED.

Also, wow, could GOLDIE be MORE DUBBED when she delivers that line about hating the nickname "JoJo"?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 10:30 pm Paula Prentiss and Richard Benjamin have been married 63 years!
WOW! I wonder how old they are. It's ironic that as her career waned, his took off.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Lorna wrote: June 7th, 2024, 7:53 am also BOTH those DRESSES are 80's ELEGANCE DEFINED.

Also, wow, could GOLDIE be MORE DUBBED when she delivers that line about hating the nickname "JoJo"?
I'd always avoided this film and had no idea it was so funny. The moment with the fan is priceless.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

kingrat wrote: June 7th, 2024, 9:58 am
I'd always avoided this film [OVERBOARD, 1987] and had no idea it was so funny. The moment with the fan is priceless.
I grew up on it. It's one of those 1980's comedies where it's, like at least a quarter funny, but the rest has not aged well. HOWEVER, the quarter (some might be generous and say half) of OVERBOARD that is funny is ****ing ENDLESSLY QUOTABLE and still HILARIOUS to this day.

GOLDIE HAWN as JOANNA STATON has been a lifelong role model for me.

CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Goldie Hawn was one of New Hollywood 's best comics . I miss her appearing in films on a regular basis.