I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
HoldenIsHere

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 10:43 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: June 6th, 2024, 10:35 pm I love Paula Prentiss's voice.

My favorite role of hers is probably Bobbie in THE STEPFORD WIVES.
I've seen certain scenes from that movie probably over a hundred times.
I guess in TSW she actually plays two roles: Bobbie and NuBobbie.

NuBOBBIE: I thought we were friends. . . I thought we were friends . . . I was just going to get you coffee. . . . I thought we were friends . . .

I've always loved her voice too. (and she does wonderfully hilarious things with it in THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT)

Katherine Ross -- I could never tell the difference between her normal and robot selves.
Paula Prentiss also does wonderful things with her voice in WHAT'S NEW PUSSYCAT?, which I saw for the first time last year.

In Katherine Ross's defense, she only appears as NuJoanna in the final supermarket sequence in THE STEPFORD WIVES.

Tina Louise is also great in THE STEPFORD WIVES.

NuCHARMAINE: All he wanted to do was to please me. Well, I wanna please him now. And, boy am I ever going to.

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: June 7th, 2024, 8:14 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 10:30 pm Paula Prentiss and Richard Benjamin have been married 63 years!
WOW! I wonder how old they are. It's ironic that as her career waned, his took off.

I think both are in their 80's now. Paula suffered from mental health issues off and on for years which curtailed her career. Very, very sad but much more tragic for her lookalike/soundalike actress sister Ann who experienced even worse afflictions. (tried to kill their father, put hits out on several people, including I believe brother-in-law Richard Benjamin, finally wound up with a prison sentence and she died there) The father was accused of sexually molesting Paula and Ann for years when they were young.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

SPOILER ALERT:

About the ending of The Stepford Wives: to me, it's unclear whether Katharine Ross has been killed. I take the ending to be that she is now pretending to be her replicant self after killing the replicant (which we don't see). But this is not clear.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: June 7th, 2024, 3:16 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 10:43 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: June 6th, 2024, 10:35 pm I love Paula Prentiss's voice.

My favorite role of hers is probably Bobbie in THE STEPFORD WIVES.
I've seen certain scenes from that movie probably over a hundred times.
I guess in TSW she actually plays two roles: Bobbie and NuBobbie.

NuBOBBIE: I thought we were friends. . . I thought we were friends . . . I was just going to get you coffee. . . . I thought we were friends . . .

I've always loved her voice too. (and she does wonderfully hilarious things with it in THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT)

Katherine Ross -- I could never tell the difference between her normal and robot selves.
Paula Prentiss also does wonderful things with her voice in WHAT'S NEW PUSSYCAT?, which I saw for the first time last year.

In Katherine Ross's defense, she only appears as NuJoanna in the final supermarket sequence in THE STEPFORD WIVES.

Tina Louise is also great in THE STEPFORD WIVES.

NuCHARMAINE: All he wanted to do was to please me. Well, I wanna please him now. And, boy am I ever going to.

I'll have to check her out in PUSSYCAT -- never saw it.

About Katherine Ross, yeah I know but still.....lol. I also don't care for her in THE GRADUATE, especially when she does that super annoying temper tantrum in front of Benjamin.

Tina Louise, I always felt bad for her. Imagine being remembered primarily for Ginger in Gilligan's Island.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

THE HOLDOVERS (2023) It was good. I expected more. Echos of DEAD POETS SOCIETY. Really, what is the point?

Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Seven Sweethearts (1942).

Photojournalist Van Heflin goes to photograph the tulip festival in Holland, MI, only to meet a hotel proprietor (S.Z. Sakall) and his seven unmarried daughters, who according to tradition have to marry in age order. The only thing is, the eldest doesn't have any desire to marry.

Somebody at MGM must have seen the Four Daughters series from Warner Bros. and thought, "How can we improve on that," coming up with the answer of more daughters, and larding up the film with as much of the MGM small-town schmaltz you'd get in the entire Andy Hardy series and then some. Sakall's first scene reminds me of a Dutch-American version of Barry Fitzgerald's obnoxious turn in The Quiet Man where he deliberately won't tell John Wayne how to get where he wants to go. The town is too damn cutesy for its own good, with the hotel patrons coming across as Stepford Guests.

And then there's the youngest of the daughters, played by Kathryn Grayson. Her singing brings the film to a screeching halt every time one of her songs comes up.

4/10
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

kingrat wrote: June 7th, 2024, 10:00 pm SPOILER ALERT:

About the ending of The Stepford Wives: to me, it's unclear whether Katharine Ross has been killed. I take the ending to be that she is now pretending to be her replicant self after killing the replicant (which we don't see). But this is not clear.
I assume hubby would be able to tell the first time he tried to have sex with NuJoanna. He is *not* the champion.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Fedya wrote: June 8th, 2024, 11:06 am Seven Sweethearts (1942).

Photojournalist Van Heflin goes to photograph the tulip festival in Holland, MI, only to meet a hotel proprietor (S.Z. Sakall) and his seven unmarried daughters, who according to tradition have to marry in age order. The only thing is, the eldest doesn't have any desire to marry.

Somebody at MGM must have seen the Four Daughters series from Warner Bros. and thought, "How can we improve on that," coming up with the answer of more daughters, and larding up the film with as much of the MGM small-town schmaltz you'd get in the entire Andy Hardy series and then some. Sakall's first scene reminds me of a Dutch-American version of Barry Fitzgerald's obnoxious turn in The Quiet Man where he deliberately won't tell John Wayne how to get where he wants to go. The town is too damn cutesy for its own good, with the hotel patrons coming across as Stepford Guests.

And then there's the youngest of the daughters, played by Kathryn Grayson. Her singing brings the film to a screeching halt every time one of her songs comes up.

4/10
Four Daughters is a good film, and one reason is Claude Rains as the father. There is a mile wide difference between Rains and the too-much-is-alloying Sakall (who can be fine in very small doses). The Lane sisters, and Gale Page are much more compelling than any of those MGM actresses, except Marsha Hunt.

Van Heflin does his best and is one of my favorite secondary leading men but is overshadowed by all the schmaltz.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

I guess I like schmaltz from time to time. Been eons since I saw Seven Sweethearts, but remember it as somewhat cute, but not a special film worth repeated viewings. Went to the Tulip Festival in Holland, MI when I was a kid, so that may be part of it. I mostly like Kathryn Grayson, but she's not my favorite songbird. Can't say I remember a film where I didn't like SZ Sakall. Barry Fitzgerald's turn seemed not out of place to me for a small town not readily accepting strangers. Old movies & I'm an old coot, so maybe that explains it... 😂
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

kingrat wrote: June 7th, 2024, 10:00 pm SPOILER ALERT:

I don't think the ruse would last very long, kingrat: Her hubby is expecting her replacement to have larger breasts.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

dianedebuda wrote: June 8th, 2024, 1:55 pm I guess I like schmaltz from time to time. Been eons since I saw Seven Sweethearts, but remember it as somewhat cute, but not a special film worth repeated viewings. Went to the Tulip Festival in Holland, MI when I was a kid, so that may be part of it. I mostly like Kathryn Grayson, but she's not my favorite songbird. Can't say I remember a film where I didn't like SZ Sakall. Barry Fitzgerald's turn seemed not out of place to me for a small town not readily accepting strangers. Old movies & I'm an old coot, so maybe that explains it... 😂
Me too!
My favorite with "Cuddles" would have to be "Christmas in Connecticut."
I post at other places where I'm so much older.
Some don't know what this is or what it does:
For the record, 70 is looming and I'm not excited.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

jimimac71 wrote: June 8th, 2024, 3:48 pmMy favorite with "Cuddles" would have to be "Christmas in Connecticut."
Same here.
jimimac71 wrote: June 8th, 2024, 3:48 pmI post at other places where I'm so much older.
I'm lucky that I found a tractor forum where I fit in age-wise, so communication doesn't require a idiom translator. 😆
jimimac71 wrote: June 8th, 2024, 3:48 pmSome don't know what this is or what it does:
Doesn't do much now in the digital age, but I remember using 'em.
jimimac71 wrote: June 8th, 2024, 3:48 pmFor the record, 70 is looming and I'm not excited.
BTDT 😎 Have no worries, you can still have fun.

--------------

Finally broke down and looked at my non-working capture computer. Long term, it's toast, but trying a temp fix. Not a war film fan, but some of TCM's Memphis Belle stuff sounded interesting so put it on my dvr. Now going to capture from there and, if I'm lucky, I'll actually have something I Just Watched... 🤞
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Allhallowsday wrote: June 7th, 2024, 10:15 pm THE HOLDOVERS (2023) It was good. I expected more. Echos of DEAD POETS SOCIETY. Really, what is the point?

The person on the left looks like Ezra Miller, but I don't think it is.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 7th, 2024, 9:19 pm
Hibi wrote: June 7th, 2024, 8:14 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 10:30 pm Paula Prentiss and Richard Benjamin have been married 63 years!
WOW! I wonder how old they are. It's ironic that as her career waned, his took off.

I think both are in their 80's now. Paula suffered from mental health issues off and on for years which curtailed her career. Very, very sad but much more tragic for her lookalike/soundalike actress sister Ann who experienced even worse afflictions. (tried to kill their father, put hits out on several people, including I believe brother-in-law Richard Benjamin, finally wound up with a prison sentence and she died there) The father was accused of sexually molesting Paula and Ann for years when they were young.

Paula Prentiss and Richard Benjamin met when they were both students at Northwestern University (just north of Chicago).
Over the years they have come back to speak at the university.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I may be confused by 'capture computer.'
My PC is from 2014. It is Microsoft who says Windows 10 is the end of the line and I can't legitimately use Windows 11.
Had to look up BTDT. I don't always get abbreviations.
I did go DOH!
I plan on going back to the Mac.
MacBook Air is too expensive but the mini is an excellent product for the cost.
You can purchase used Macs.
It's sounds like you are computer savvy.
I rarely use DVR, and like the video cassette, I record and then don't watch. Don't use On-Demand either.
Painfully Old Fashioned.
Watching Jessica Fletcher right now.
Pretty much know the episodes but it never gets old.
Woof! You've Got Mail!