I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
CinemaInternational

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by CinemaInternational »

HoldenIsHere wrote: June 8th, 2024, 6:24 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: June 7th, 2024, 10:15 pm THE HOLDOVERS (2023) It was good. I expected more. Echos of DEAD POETS SOCIETY. Really, what is the point?

The person on the left looks like Ezra Miller, but I don't think it is.
The name of the actor you are referring to is Dominic Sessa. His role in that film is quite sizable.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

jimimac71 wrote: June 8th, 2024, 3:48 pm
dianedebuda wrote: June 8th, 2024, 1:55 pm I guess I like schmaltz from time to time. Been eons since I saw Seven Sweethearts, but remember it as somewhat cute, but not a special film worth repeated viewings. Went to the Tulip Festival in Holland, MI when I was a kid, so that may be part of it. I mostly like Kathryn Grayson, but she's not my favorite songbird. Can't say I remember a film where I didn't like SZ Sakall. Barry Fitzgerald's turn seemed not out of place to me for a small town not readily accepting strangers. Old movies & I'm an old coot, so maybe that explains it... 😂
Me too!
My favorite with "Cuddles" would have to be "Christmas in Connecticut."
I post at other places where I'm so much older.
Some don't know what this is or what it does:
For the record, 70 is looming and I'm not excited.
I know what it is. We had cable TV since the 1950s, and we didn't even need these because the cable company ran 300 ohm twin-lead wire from the pole to the house and within the house. In the early 70s was it replaced with coax, so before our TVs had coax inputs, we needed these. That lasted only about 8 years when cable boxes came into use in the late 70s.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

jimimac71 wrote: June 8th, 2024, 6:39 pmI may be confused by 'capture computer.' ... It's sounds like you are computer savvy. I rarely use DVR, and like the video cassette, I record and then don't watch. Don't use On-Demand either.
I use a computer to make (capture) digital copies of movies/shows that I can save and watch on my own equipment - kind of like having a digital DVD. The dvr is owned by the cable company and anything on it is in their proprietary format. Most of my computer savvy is now antique & ancient history by today's standards. Guess that what happens when you retire & don't have motivation to keep up to date. 😆 Hate commercials, so use the DVR to bypass them. Can't remember the last thing I watched live. My current equipment does not handle HDMI, so no web On-Demand or streaming at this point.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

kingrat wrote: June 7th, 2024, 10:00 pm SPOILER ALERT:

About the ending of The Stepford Wives: to me, it's unclear whether Katharine Ross has been killed. I take the ending to be that she is now pretending to be her replicant self after killing the replicant (which we don't see). But this is not clear.

***ANOTHER SPOILER ALERT***

The audience (and Joanna) see NuJoanna when she breaks into the men's association compound looking for her children. She runs away from Diz (Patrick O'Neal) and ends up in a room made to look like her bedroom in her own house. There she discovers the family dog that went missing earlier in the movie and the not quite finished NuJoanna brushing her hair. (Diz had earlier told Joanna that she arrived at the compound sooner than they were ready for her.)

What happens after the above clip:
NuJoanna moves menacingly toward Joanna wielding a stocking as Diz looks on, holding the family dog.
The last thing we see in this scene is a close shot of the stocking in NuJoanna's hands before a fade to black.
The implication (although I'd actually say it's more than just implied) is that NuJoanna strangled Joanna to death with the stocking.
(I think I read somewhere the actual strangulation was either filmed --or possibly just written -- but ultimately not used in the movie.)
After the fade to black, we fade in on the famous supermarket sequence, where the last image we see is a tight shot of NuJoanna revealing that her eyes (perhaps her most human element) are now complete.
There's a freeze frame on NuJoanna's face as the closing credits roll.

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

ANGEL ANGEL DOWN WE GO (aka CULT OF THE DAMNED)

An imdb post heading says it best. David Selznick Would Be Spinning In His Grave
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

HoldenIsHere wrote: June 8th, 2024, 8:29 pm
Oh my the font for the character names is so 1970s! :lol:
CinemaInternational

Oh, Lorna....You are always on the lookout for bad wigs in movies and TV and last night, I think I found one of the worst I have ever seen. And the actress seems to recognize it given the sour, angry look on her face....

jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

txfilmfan wrote: June 8th, 2024, 7:07 pm
jimimac71 wrote: June 8th, 2024, 3:48 pm
dianedebuda wrote: June 8th, 2024, 1:55 pm I guess I like schmaltz from time to time. Been eons since I saw Seven Sweethearts, but remember it as somewhat cute, but not a special film worth repeated viewings. Went to the Tulip Festival in Holland, MI when I was a kid, so that may be part of it. I mostly like Kathryn Grayson, but she's not my favorite songbird. Can't say I remember a film where I didn't like SZ Sakall. Barry Fitzgerald's turn seemed not out of place to me for a small town not readily accepting strangers. Old movies & I'm an old coot, so maybe that explains it... 😂
Me too!
My favorite with "Cuddles" would have to be "Christmas in Connecticut."
I post at other places where I'm so much older.
Some don't know what this is or what it does:
For the record, 70 is looming and I'm not excited.
I know what it is. We had cable TV since the 1950s, and we didn't even need these because the cable company ran 300 ohm twin-lead wire from the pole to the house and within the house. In the early 70s was it replaced with coax, so before our TVs had coax inputs, we needed these. That lasted only about 8 years when cable boxes came into use in the late 70s.
I need to learn how to control the quote feature.
Funny thing, this image came from Amazon.
I do enjoy being old enough to know many of these things.
For others, the product not only transformed coax to twin lead for the two VHF screws on the back of the TV, but changed from 75 to 300 ohm.
Our first TV was a B/W Zenith with tubes inside. It had to warm up.
Long gone are the days when you turned a knob to change channels.
You had to get up off the sofa to change channels. Imagine that.
I can see CinemaInternational rolling his eyes.
Of all the benefits I've enjoyed from television, TCM has probably impacted me the most.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

HoldenIsHere wrote: June 8th, 2024, 6:24 pm ...The person on the left looks like Ezra Miller, but I don't think it is.
He is a newcomer, DOMINIC SESSA.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

CinemaInternational wrote: June 9th, 2024, 9:30 am Oh, Lorna....You are always on the lookout for bad wigs in movies and TV and last night, I think I found one of the worst I have ever seen. And the actress seems to recognize it given the sour, angry look on her face....

Ew, YUCK, why ON EARTH were you watching PAY IT FORWARD?

I can still remember when this movie was gonna be THE NEXT BIG THING and then it came out and OOF!

Lord, that ending.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

HELEN HUNT in that photo is giving "RACHEL ROBERTS stars as TONYA HARDING in FLASHDANCE!"

i cannot believe a FEATURE back when MOVIES WERE A BIG DEAL (2000?) had HAIR AND MAKEUP THIS BAD!
CinemaInternational

Lorna wrote: June 9th, 2024, 12:35 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: June 9th, 2024, 9:30 am Oh, Lorna....You are always on the lookout for bad wigs in movies and TV and last night, I think I found one of the worst I have ever seen. And the actress seems to recognize it given the sour, angry look on her face....

Ew, YUCK, why ON EARTH were you watching PAY IT FORWARD?

I can still remember when this movie was gonna be THE NEXT BIG THING and then it came out and OOF!

Lord, that ending.
I've gotten to the point where my ravenous appetite for hunting down films I haven't seen has left me with very few options when it comes to what to see.

I could thus watch:

A) B-movies, sometimes entertaining, sometimes not. But they usually don't have the good writing that the bigger films have.

B) Foreign-language titles, but outside of a few key filmmakers (many of whom I have covered already), I wouldn't know where to begin.

C) Silent titles, but having covered hundreds already, how many more existant titles are there left to cover?

D) Brand new releases....which isn't my idea of a good time

E) Watch embarrassing flops of the past, which could at least provide some comic value...although some aren't even funny.

So, I would rather not be stuck with the likes of Pay It Forward (or for that matter also the leering 80s teen comedy Weird Science [1985] which I saw yesterday because it was the one thing on demand on the TV that I hadn't seen that I had any meager curiosity about), but it is what it is. Not a rewarding path, but at nearly 8,000 films under my belt, beggars can't be choosers.

I only really approached this one because I am having a whale of a time on another website following a poll of woyld-be Oscar meltdowns (films that didn't end up with any Oscar nods at all), of catastrophic films that usually get grilled. And people were having a great time lascerating this one as being the biggest flop of 2000. Morbid curiosity got the better of me.

And you are right, the film's ending is on the level of the Hindenburg disaster, and frankly so is much of the rest of the film. (Although admittedly, the scriptwriter said that the two leads demanded script changes that mangled the film) What a fiasco. Deservedly forgotten and a critical laughing stock, although that IMDb score is alarmingly high at a 7.2. People are scary.

P.S. That other website mentioned a clip I know you loved: tipsy Liz Taylor howling the name of Gladiator at the Golden Globes that year.

P.P..S. Your Rachel Roberts as Tonya Harding in Flashdance quote had me howling and laughing so hard that I could barely breath. Highlight of my week actually, and it reminded me of the jolt I gave you when I said that I was surprised that auto-correct didn't turn Marcia Gay Harden's name to Marcia Homosexual Hard -On.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

YOU KNOW, I kind miss the autocorrect. He was responsible for some good laughs.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

CAT PEOPLE (1942) showed up in my feed and I watched it for the first time in FOREVER....

this film is better than i remembered it being- it's been done a disservice in the past by some over-effusive praise, but at the end of the day- you kinda can't deny THERE IS SOMETHING THERE- even if that something is KOOKY at times, it's wild to see SO MUCH OVERT PSYCHOLOGY ON DISPLAY in a film from 1942- not just in the form of TOM CONWAY'S very very very very very very very very bad, and deeply unethical "therapist" but in KENT SMITH and JANE RANDOLPH- the scene where SMITH'S character mentions he has no childhood trauma and has just "always been happy" resonated with me- not that I can relate AT ALL (I can't), but in that it's interesting to see such a contrasting worldview from my own, and if anyone was EVER gonna be able to sell that dialogue, man was it KENT SMITH- the cinematic equivalent to a blank VHS Tape- still wrapped in the cellophane.

i remember watching this film as a kid in the 1980's and even then, at the age of eight being very "JUST WHO DOES THIS B***** THINK SHE IS???! with JANE RANDOLPH just walking all the Hell over the boundaries of SIMONE SIMON's marriage.

i kinda wish she;d eaten her in the pool, but then we wouldn't have gotten CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE, which is a lovely lovely film.

the print I watched on THAT CERTAIN CABLE NETWORK THAT IS STILL ON AIR AT THE MOMENT was PRISTINE- just GORGEOUS BLACK AND WHITE PHOTOGRAPHY, very MISTY.

THE STEPS of AMBERSON MANSION also make an appearance in this.
CinemaInternational

Lorna wrote: June 9th, 2024, 1:13 pm YOU KNOW, I kind miss the autocorrect. He was responsible for some good laughs.
Indeed he was. Just remember the Ione Skye issue.

By the way, do you mind if I quote you on that other website about you comparing Hunt to Rachel playing Tonya, I am sure it would bring the house down and I promise to give you credit. :)