I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
kingrat

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by kingrat »

I was shocked to hear that was Helen Hunt. Because I thought it must be Rachel Roberts playing Tonya Harding in Flashdance. (Fabulous, Lorna, just fabulous.) I didn't know Helen Hunt could look that bad.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

kingrat wrote: June 9th, 2024, 2:06 pm I was shocked to hear that was Helen Hunt. Because I thought it must be Rachel Roberts playing Tonya Harding in Flashdance. (Fabulous, Lorna, just fabulous.) I didn't know Helen Hunt could look that bad.
My first thought was of Helen Hunt, but I shook it off since I didn't recall Hunt being in the 2004 version of The Stepford Wife. Then I recall that topics change at a dime here, and that this had to be Hunt. What film was that from? (maybe a cheap T.V. one?).
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: June 9th, 2024, 2:13 pm
kingrat wrote: June 9th, 2024, 2:06 pm I was shocked to hear that was Helen Hunt. Because I thought it must be Rachel Roberts playing Tonya Harding in Flashdance. (Fabulous, Lorna, just fabulous.) I didn't know Helen Hunt could look that bad.
My first thought was of Helen Hunt, but I shook it off since I didn't recall Hunt being in the 2004 version of The Stepford Wife. Then I recall that topics change at a dime here, and that this had to be Hunt. What film was that from? (maybe a cheap T.V. one?).
That was from Pay It Forward, a $40 million production that was meant to be Warner Bros.'s main Oscar push in 2000, but received withering reviews and ended up being a big flop. Helen definitely wasn't made up to look glamorous; as someone on the other site pointed out, Angie Dickinson plays Hunt's homeless, destitute mother in the film, and her clothes and hair are still put together better than Hunt in the film.
Masha

Post by Masha »

CinemaInternational wrote: June 9th, 2024, 1:10 pm B) Foreign-language titles, but outside of a few key filmmakers (many of whom I have covered already), I wouldn't know where to begin.
I must wonder if you have considered: Mosfilm channel on: YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/@Mosfilm_eng/videos

I am morally opposed to: YouTube in all of its incarnations because of its harvesting personal data without notice and its indiscriminate advertising. It is despite these factors a resource slightly preferable over sites of questionable legality.

Most of the movies are subtitled so that you may enjoy them even if your Russian is not up to following the dialogue.

My recommendations for a person starting to explore the rich history of: Mosfilm:

Comedies:

Moscow Laughs (1934) This is on a par with: Marx Brothers movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chDRXQ77IgA
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025946/

The Irony of Fate (1976) Very subversive social commentary. The opening is animated. The movie is not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms5Ga6kNvHM
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073179/

Gentlemen of Fortune (1971) Contemporary crime comedy. Watch for the dancing penguins!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XukcyHljlCE
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068519/

The Girls (1962) A simple love story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GskjSBw9lA
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0134614/

War:

Two Comrades Served (1968) Very intense movie concerning the different faces of war. Some scenes are truly unforgettable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu5MADkiCek
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063615/

The Forty-First (1956) The personal side of war.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USSRE6d6qcA
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049783/

Horror:

VIY (1967) Intense and very beautiful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YmQn6q36HQ
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062453/

One of the most notable comedies is available on an associated channel. It is necessay to sign in so that YouTube may extract more personal data than usual and plant difficult-to-remove cookies.

Formula of Love (1984) Total romp!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFW8kJ9Y1tM
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0216755/
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

CinemaInternational wrote: June 9th, 2024, 2:27 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: June 9th, 2024, 2:13 pm
That was from Pay It Forward, a $40 million production that was meant to be Warner Bros.'s main Oscar push in 2000, but received withering reviews and ended up being a big flop. Helen definitely wasn't made up to look glamorous; as someone on the other site pointed out, Angie Dickinson plays Hunt's homeless, destitute mother in the film, and her clothes and hair are still put together better than Hunt in the film.
Are you certain that the image posted earlier was Helen Hunt as she appeared in PAY IT FORWARD?

EDIT: Now that I look at the earlier photo more closely, I can see that it *is* Helen Hunt.
Man, she looks rough! It's more than just the wig . . .

Below are some images of her from that movie.
In the second photo the character is supposed to be wearing a wig.

By the way here's Angie Dickinson as she appeared in that movie:

And here's Jon Bon Jovi as Helen Hunt's estranged* husband: (*The word "estranged" sounds so soap opera-y. Love it!)

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Lorna wrote: June 9th, 2024, 1:23 pm CAT PEOPLE (1942) showed up in my feed and I watched it for the first time in FOREVER....

One of the reasons JACQUES TOURNEUR is one of my favorite directors. I love how it completely owns its "B"ness.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

jimimac71 wrote: June 9th, 2024, 11:53 am
txfilmfan wrote: June 8th, 2024, 7:07 pm
jimimac71 wrote: June 8th, 2024, 3:48 pm

Me too!
My favorite with "Cuddles" would have to be "Christmas in Connecticut."
I post at other places where I'm so much older.
Some don't know what this is or what it does:
For the record, 70 is looming and I'm not excited.
I know what it is. We had cable TV since the 1950s, and we didn't even need these because the cable company ran 300 ohm twin-lead wire from the pole to the house and within the house. In the early 70s was it replaced with coax, so before our TVs had coax inputs, we needed these. That lasted only about 8 years when cable boxes came into use in the late 70s.
I need to learn how to control the quote feature.
Funny thing, this image came from Amazon.
I do enjoy being old enough to know many of these things.
For others, the product not only transformed coax to twin lead for the two VHF screws on the back of the TV, but changed from 75 to 300 ohm.
Our first TV was a B/W Zenith with tubes inside. It had to warm up.
Long gone are the days when you turned a knob to change channels.
You had to get up off the sofa to change channels. Imagine that.
I can see CinemaInternational rolling his eyes.
Of all the benefits I've enjoyed from television, TCM has probably impacted me the most.
I'm not rolling my eyes at all. Once the remote broke on our TV and for the remaining years we had it, I had to manually get up and change the channel
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

In the novel Pay It Forward, the boy is killed when he is on his way to the White House to receive an award from the President, but sees a gay-bashing, intervenes to help the victim, and receives fatal injuries. In the film he dies accidentally at the hands of one or more thuggish Latino students.

The author of the novel, Catherine Ryan Hyde, said that a novel of hers which had been rejected by a publisher was then accepted by the same publisher, without one word being changed, because now it was by "Catherine Ryan Hyde, author of Pay It Forward, soon to become a major motion picture."

People were excited about the prospect of seeing the film, loving the concept of the title, which is now a part of our culture. I believe my husband and I saw this soon after it was released. We were disappointed by the ending, I do recall that. It's funny that I remembered that Kevin Spacey was in the movie, but not Angie Dickinson.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

this blew my mind.

I watched THE FALCON GOES WEST this weekend, and it was fine- surprisingly long and complicated for what I have to imagine was a "B SERIES" at RKO- but then, ALL the FALCON movies are kinda long and complicated.

THE WOMEN in the cast were all FINE AS HELL- and there was one, A SCRAPPY COWGIRL who was just CUTE AS A BUTTON.

I wasn't really gonna do a write-up of the film as it was nothing special- and then I saw the name BARBARA HALE in the cast list and thought, "wait, DELLA STREET wasn't in this...was she?"

turns out, SHE WAS.

BARBARA HALE was that scrappy cute as button cowgirl
. BARBARA HALE in the early 1940s had it GOING ON, MAMA.

She was also incredibly likeable- really, deserved her own FILM SERIES a helluva lot more than TOM CONWAY, who is just sort of "in this" while all sorts of interesting things happen around- but not because- of him.

Image Image
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 7th, 2024, 9:19 pm
Hibi wrote: June 7th, 2024, 8:14 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 10:30 pm Paula Prentiss and Richard Benjamin have been married 63 years!
WOW! I wonder how old they are. It's ironic that as her career waned, his took off.

I think both are in their 80's now. Paula suffered from mental health issues off and on for years which curtailed her career. Very, very sad but much more tragic for her lookalike/soundalike actress sister Ann who experienced even worse afflictions. (tried to kill their father, put hits out on several people, including I believe brother-in-law Richard Benjamin, finally wound up with a prison sentence and she died there) The father was accused of sexually molesting Paula and Ann for years when they were young.
AWFUL! I knew her sister was a nutcase, but never knew the details. I seem to remember Paula had "problems" over the years but never knew the details. Sad. I think they are both 86 or 84. (I looked it up last week, but have forgotten now). I know Paula is still good friends with Sister Delores Hart (her costar in Where The Boys Are). I read Delores memoirs a few years back.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Lorna wrote: June 10th, 2024, 7:54 am this blew my mind.

I watched THE FALCON GOES WEST this weekend, and it was fine- surprisingly long and complicated for what I have to imagine was a "B SERIES" at RKO- but then, ALL the FALCON movies are kinda long and complicated.

THE WOMEN in the cast were all FINE AS HELL- and there was one, A SCRAPPY COWGIRL who was just CUTE AS A BUTTON.

I wasn't really gonna do a write-up of the film as it was nothing special- and then I saw the name BARBARA HALE in the cast list and thought, "wait, DELLA STREET wasn't in this...was she?"

turns out, SHE WAS.

She was also incredibly likeable- really, deserved her own FILM SERIES a helluva lot more than TOM CONWAY, who is just sort of "in this" while all sorts of interesting things happen around- but not because- of him.

Image Image
I had mentioned Hale being in two Falcon movies on my thread on The Falcons. She was also in The Falcon in Hollywood, which is a better movie. It's on June 22. Hale's performance is probably better as well.
Actually the movies are not long, just packed with activity. Each one is about 60 minutes.
To me the best is coming up this Saturday - The Falcon in Mexico.
Tom Conway is more active than you think and is central to the movies. In fact, the series was supposed to end with The Falcon's Brother where George Sanders dies and Tom Conway is introduced. However, apparently Conway was so well received they made nine more movies featuring him. More than Sanders.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

ElCid wrote: June 10th, 2024, 8:40 am
I had mentioned Hale being in two Falcon movies on my thread on The Falcons. She was also in The Falcon in Hollywood, which is a better movie. It's on June 22. Hale's performance is probably better as well.
Actually the movies are not long, just packed with activity. Each one is about 60 minutes.
Tom Conway is more active than you think and is central to the movies. In fact, the series was supposed to end with The Falcon's Brother ......
[/quote]

thanks for the info, you're right, it's only 64 minutes, I could have SWORN it was an hour and forty- you're right, A LOT does happen in them.

Watch out though, you might wanna edit your post for spoilers. i didn't know about the surprise at the end of THE FALCON'S BROTHER and wikipedia spoiled the end in their first paragraph.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

ElCid wrote: June 10th, 2024, 8:40 am
Tom Conway is more active than you think and is central to the movies. In fact, the series was supposed to end with The Falcon's Brother where George Sanders dies and Tom Conway is introduced. However, apparently Conway was so well received they made nine more movies featuring him. More than Sanders.
Thanks for reminding me about The Falcon in Mexico. This 1944 film features just discovered Martha Vickers, who was cast as the bad-sister in The Big Sleep the following year (the initial version for the troops was released overseas in 45), and Mona Maris. Running at 70 minutes, this one is well paced with some fine Latino supporting actors.
Last edited by jamesjazzguitar on June 10th, 2024, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: June 10th, 2024, 7:54 am this blew my mind.

turns out, SHE WAS.

Image Image
I caught part of this on Sat while I was doing some packing (I'd seen it several times before). Wasn't "Della" in another Falcon film? Or was that the Saint?

Oh, see you mentioned that in another post.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

i might catch heat for being nitpicky but...

I know why LAMONT CRANSTON was called THE SHADOW
I know why SIMON TEMPLAR was called THE SAINT (his initials)
and I applaud BRITT REED (aka THE GREEN HORNET) for incorporating the characteristics of the animal from which he took his moniker into his "bit"

but why is THE FALCON called THE FALCON?
He doesn't do anything particularly falcony as either GEORGE SANDERS or TOM CONWAY.

Unless he hunts down small birds, voles, and squirrels and feasts on their innards in one of the installments I have yet to see.