I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
laffite

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by laffite »

A bird of prey. Great vision. Something like that maybe??
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

I think both are in their 80's now. Paula suffered from mental health issues off and on for years which curtailed her career. Very, very sad but much more tragic for her lookalike/soundalike actress sister Ann who experienced even worse afflictions. (tried to kill their father, put hits out on several people, including I believe brother-in-law Richard Benjamin, finally wound up with a prison sentence and she died there) The father was accused of sexually molesting Paula and Ann for years when they were young.
[/quote]

AWFUL! I knew her sister was a nutcase, but never knew the details. I seem to remember Paula had "problems" over the years but never knew the details. Sad. I think they are both 86 or 84. (I looked it up last week, but have forgotten now). I know Paula is still good friends with Sister Delores Hart (her costar in Where The Boys Are). I read Delores memoirs a few years back.
[/quote]

Both sisters looked alike and were 5`10
laffite

Post by laffite »

Paula who? Prentiss? Thanks!
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

That Lady in Ermine (1948) The Lubitsch touch still works in this Betty Grable vehicle, in which she plays two roles: Countess Angelina, and her grandmother Countess Francesca. The countesses must save the kingdom of Bergamo from Hungarian invaders, led by a dashing colonel, played by Douglas Fairbanks Jr. The filmmakers did a number on the censors, with Betty singing What I’ll Do when she gets her hands on the poor colonel. Sadly, Lubitsch died shortly after filming, and the movie was finished by Otto Preminger.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Lorna wrote: June 10th, 2024, 11:45 am i might catch heat for being nitpicky but...

I know why LAMONT CRANSTON was called THE SHADOW
I know why SIMON TEMPLAR was called THE SAINT (his initials)
and I applaud BRITT REED (aka THE GREEN HORNET) for incorporating the characteristics of the animal from which he took his moniker into his "bit"

but why is THE FALCON called THE FALCON?
He doesn't do anything particularly falcony as either GEORGE SANDERS or TOM CONWAY.

Unless he hunts down small birds, voles, and squirrels and feasts on their innards in one of the installments I have yet to see.
Michael Arlen created Gay Stanhope Falcon in 1940 with The Gay Falcon. RKO changed the name to Gay Lawrence and the first movie was The Gay Falcon. Make a movie with that title today :lol: The Falcon series was a replacement for The Saint series.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

nakanosunplaza wrote: June 10th, 2024, 12:20 pm I think both are in their 80's now. Paula suffered from mental health issues off and on for years which curtailed her career. Very, very sad but much more tragic for her lookalike/soundalike actress sister Ann who experienced even worse afflictions. (tried to kill their father, put hits out on several people, including I believe brother-in-law Richard Benjamin, finally wound up with a prison sentence and she died there) The father was accused of sexually molesting Paula and Ann for years when they were young.
AWFUL! I knew her sister was a nutcase, but never knew the details. I seem to remember Paula had "problems" over the years but never knew the details. Sad. I think they are both 86 or 84. (I looked it up last week, but have forgotten now). I know Paula is still good friends with Sister Delores Hart (her costar in Where The Boys Are). I read Delores memoirs a few years back.
[/quote]

Both sisters looked alike and were 5`10
[/quote]

Paula Prentiss was paired with Jim Hutton in movies because he was taller than her.

She also jokingly said (at least I think she was joking) was that one of her major attractions to Richard Benjamin was that he was taller than her.

The only thing I've seen Ann Prentiss in was THE OUT OF TOWNERS, where she played a flight attendant on Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis's plane to NYC.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: June 10th, 2024, 11:45 am i might catch heat for being nitpicky but...

I know why LAMONT CRANSTON was called THE SHADOW
I know why SIMON TEMPLAR was called THE SAINT (his initials)
and I applaud BRITT REED (aka THE GREEN HORNET) for incorporating the characteristics of the animal from which he took his moniker into his "bit"

but why is THE FALCON called THE FALCON?
He doesn't do anything particularly falcony as either GEORGE SANDERS or TOM CONWAY.

Unless he hunts down small birds, voles, and squirrels and feasts on their innards in one of the installments I have yet to see.

Maybe how he hunts his "prey?"
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

https://travsd.wordpress.com/2023/03/04 ... ister-ann/

It's amazing how alike they look. They could pass for identical twins. Makes you wonder what kind of upbringing they had to have all these issues.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

HoldenIsHere wrote: June 8th, 2024, 6:27 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 7th, 2024, 9:19 pm
Hibi wrote: June 7th, 2024, 8:14 am

WOW! I wonder how old they are. It's ironic that as her career waned, his took off.

I think both are in their 80's now. Paula suffered from mental health issues off and on for years which curtailed her career. Very, very sad but much more tragic for her lookalike/soundalike actress sister Ann who experienced even worse afflictions. (tried to kill their father, put hits out on several people, including I believe brother-in-law Richard Benjamin, finally wound up with a prison sentence and she died there) The father was accused of sexually molesting Paula and Ann for years when they were young.

Paula Prentiss and Richard Benjamin met when they were both students at Northwestern University (just north of Chicago).
Over the years they have come back to speak at the university.
Quoting myself so I don't have to re-type the above information.

Garry Marshall also went to Northwestern University and was friends with both Richard Benjamin and Paul Prentiss, fellow students there at the time.
Paula Prentiss's real surname was Ragusa. Garry Marshall used Paula's surname for the Carmine character on his TV series LAVERNE & SHIRLEY.

The Marjorie Ward Marshall Dance Center in Northwestern's Arts Circle is named after Garry Marshall's mother.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Porco Rosso (1992) --I have seen strange films over the years, but this one seems downright certifiable. This is a Japanese animated film that, before opening in theaters over there, first appeared as an in-flight movie. It is the story set in the 1930s of a hard-drinking, chain-smoking pilot/bounty hunter (based out of the former Yugoslavia) who was cursed to have the head of a pig in place of his normal human head, who has a beautiful woman in love with him, and who fights against flying pirates and the forces of Mussolini. Plus he's assisted by a proto-feminist tomboy teenager, he gets involved in a deadly dogfight with a very unlikable American (why this character?) that kills who knows how many down on the ground, a fistfight occurs, and other things happen along the way. And it is meant for kids.... I guess? In all honesty, the plot is an utter mess, and I assume that the film's rising critical status (to the point that it is called one of the best animated films ever made) is due to its anti-fascist stance, but frankly everything else in this is incoherent, and feels like an odd response to the aerial scenes in Top Gun. That said, the animation is breathtakingly gorgeous and the musical score and English-language dub are good. But this one is so incredibly bizarre.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

CinemaInternational wrote: June 10th, 2024, 11:48 pm Porco Rosso (1992) --I have seen strange films over the years, but this one seems downright certifiable. This is a Japanese animated film that, before opening in theaters over there, first appeared as an in-flight movie. It is the story set in the 1930s of a hard-drinking, chain-smoking pilot/bounty hunter (based out of the former Yugoslavia) who was cursed to have the head of a pig in place of his normal human head, who has a beautiful woman in love with him, and who fights against flying pirates and the forces of Mussolini. Plus he's assisted by a proto-feminist tomboy teenager, he gets involved in a deadly dogfight with a very unlikable American (why this character?) that kills who knows how many down on the ground, a fistfight occurs, and other things happen along the way. And it is meant for kids.... I guess? In all honesty, the plot is an utter mess, and I assume that the film's rising critical status (to the point that it is called one of the best animated films ever made) is due to its anti-fascist stance, but frankly everything else in this is incoherent, and feels like an odd response to the aerial scenes in Top Gun. That said, the animation is breathtakingly gorgeous and the musical score and English-language dub are good. But this one is so incredibly bizarre.

HAYAO MIYAZAKI (sp?) is (for me) THE GABRIEL GARCIA MARQUEZ of 21st century animation.

(i don't mean that as a compliment.)

here is the trailer in case anyone else (like myself) was intrigued by your well-written review:

CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Lorna wrote: June 11th, 2024, 11:49 am
CinemaInternational wrote: June 10th, 2024, 11:48 pm Porco Rosso (1992) --I have seen strange films over the years, but this one seems downright certifiable. This is a Japanese animated film that, before opening in theaters over there, first appeared as an in-flight movie. It is the story set in the 1930s of a hard-drinking, chain-smoking pilot/bounty hunter (based out of the former Yugoslavia) who was cursed to have the head of a pig in place of his normal human head, who has a beautiful woman in love with him, and who fights against flying pirates and the forces of Mussolini. Plus he's assisted by a proto-feminist tomboy teenager, he gets involved in a deadly dogfight with a very unlikable American (why this character?) that kills who knows how many down on the ground, a fistfight occurs, and other things happen along the way. And it is meant for kids.... I guess? In all honesty, the plot is an utter mess, and I assume that the film's rising critical status (to the point that it is called one of the best animated films ever made) is due to its anti-fascist stance, but frankly everything else in this is incoherent, and feels like an odd response to the aerial scenes in Top Gun. That said, the animation is breathtakingly gorgeous and the musical score and English-language dub are good. But this one is so incredibly bizarre.

HAYAO MIYAZAKI (sp?) is (for me) THE GABRIEL GARCIA MARQUEZ of 21st century animation.

(i don't mean that as a compliment.)

here is the trailer in case anyone else (like myself) was intrigued by your well-written review:

Miyazaki is a bit of an odd case, because his films look absolutely beautiful, there is no denying that. But many of his most ornate fantasies have the most bizarre plots imaginable. And its a shame, because he made two films in the late 80s that were simpler and less complex that are wonderful animated films. The first was My Neighbor Totoro involving two young girls (about 9 and 3) who meet an enormous but gentle mythical creature that becomes their best friend and leads them in setpieces of gentle charm to match the pastoral setting, and the other was Kiki's Delivery Service involving a young good with and her coming of age story, as she deals with moving out on her own, first love, making new friends, and dealing with flying that broomstick and her talking cat. It did have a very melodramatic conclusion (with her flying to rescue her love from dangling for dear life) , but that might be the one film of his you might like, because the story is actually easy to follow and the story is pretty down to earth. [The 1998 English dub of that featured the voices of Kirsten Dunst, Phil Hartman, Jeanane Garofalo, and, briefly, Debbie Reynolds]. I just wish that all of his films were are satisfying and straightforward as those two.

As for Marquez, the film version of his book, Love in the Time of Cholera was not a satisfying experience.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

i have angrily thrown many GABRIEL GARCIA MARQUEZ books across many different rooms throughout my life.

(100 YEARS OF SOLITUDE took out a BIG OLE HUNK OF DRYWALL.)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: June 11th, 2024, 12:47 pm i have angrily thrown many GABRIEL GARCIA MARQUEZ books across many different rooms throughout my life.

(100 YEARS OF SOLITUDE took out a BIG OLE HUNK OF DRYWALL.)
LMREO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

whenever i bring someone new over, i point to the bookshelf and say "these are the books I have read" and then I point to the wall where 100 YEARS OF SOLITUDE, LOOK HOMEWARD ANGEL, THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP and DUNE and protruding from the plaster and say "and these are the books I have yet to finish..."