I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Swithin

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Swithin »

scsu1975 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 10:56 pm
Swithin wrote: January 28th, 2023, 7:59 pm He can be killed by the Cross of Antioch or platinum ballots.
Trust me, those ballots are expensive - only rich people can afford to vote that way.
ROFL!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

jameselliot wrote: January 29th, 2023, 12:13 am
Swithin wrote: January 28th, 2023, 7:59 pm I just watched The Curse of Nostradamus (1960), but I'm distracted at the moment, having just discovered that the Academy Museum in Los Angeles presented nearly a month of Mexican horror in October 2022, and I didn't know about it! And the image they chose to represent the entire festival was the very image from the scene that more than any other scene, represents the pinnacle of the genre to me: Elmer playing the violin in The Black Pit of Dr. M. (Dr. M, who has come back from the dead in Elmer's body, is playing Csardas by Monti on the violin, in that masterpiece of horror, The Black Pit of Dr. M (Misterios de Ultratumba).

The festival also featured The Brainiac and many other masterpieces of Mexican horror. I might have even gone to Los Angeles, had I known about the series.

The Curse of Nostradamus is actually one of four Mexican horror films pieced together by K. Gordon Murray, who took a 12-part serial and made four Nostradamus movies out of it. It's a decent film, but not on the level of the two movies mentioned above, or even many others, and the ending suffers from being the first part of the four-part series. The English dialogue is a hoot, and since I watched it with the subtitles (not Murray's, but YouTube's, it's even wilder: The vampire says to his Igor-like assistant: "Be on guard!!" The assistant's response in the subtitles: "You know I'm always faithful to you b_astard!"

The vampire looks like John Carradine/Baron Lagos in House of Frankenstein and does turn into a bat. He can be killed by the Cross of Antioch or platinum ballots.

Here's the trailer for the Academy's series:

The sets and the black & white cinematography of the 60s Mexican horrors were fantastic, notably the period films. The make-up and effects could be dicey at times. I believe The Brainiac aka El Baron del Terror was the first to use bladders to achieve the pulsating head of the monster. K. Gordon Murray's main contribution was to introduce many titles to American television although the translated dialog and voice actors were usually bad.
The dubbed-in-English track for The Black Pit of Dr. M is lost. It wasn't one of the Murray dubbings and may not have been a perfect translation, but it was a great way for a kid to be introduced to the genre. I'll never forget the line that goes with that iconic scene: "Yes it's me. I came back in Elmer's body." Here's another iconic image from the film:

Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Oscar Wilde (1960 TCM On Demand 6/10

Playwright Oscar Wilde is accused of "unnatural acts"

An interesting, fairly straightforward act of Wilde suing the Lord of Queensberry for libel. Queensberry's son (John Neville) is involved with Wilde. Robert Morley is excellent as Wilde, capturing his wit and talent. Neville and Morley would reunite 5 years later as Sherlock Holmes and his brother Mycroft in A Study In Terror.

There was another film about Wilde that same year, The Trials Of Oscar Wilde with Peter Finch that I have not seen, Anyone seen both?
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Swithin wrote: January 29th, 2023, 9:36 am I just watched The Curse of Nostradamus (1960), but I'm distracted at the moment, having just discovered that the Academy Museum in Los Angeles presented nearly a month of Mexican horror in October 2022, and I didn't know about it!
¡Ay caramba! It's news such as that always makes me regret leaving my hometown of L.A.

I've still got my DVDs of Mexican horror movies released by the short-lived, late, lamented CasaNegre Entertainment outfit.

Last year VCI Entertainment released a Mexican Horror Classic Double Feature Blu-ray Disc package of El Escapulario and Ladrón de Cadáveres -- the latter flick, an example of that unique Mexican genre: the lucha libre (or luchador) horror film.

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

EP Millstone wrote: January 29th, 2023, 4:31 pm
Swithin wrote: January 29th, 2023, 9:36 am I just watched The Curse of Nostradamus (1960), but I'm distracted at the moment, having just discovered that the Academy Museum in Los Angeles presented nearly a month of Mexican horror in October 2022, and I didn't know about it!
¡Ay caramba! It's news such as that always makes me regret leaving my hometown of L.A.

I've still got my DVDs of Mexican horror movies released by the short-lived, late, lamented CasaNegre Entertainment outfit.
Those are precious! Hold on to them!
laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: January 28th, 2023, 7:59 pm I just watched The Curse of Nostradamus (1960), but I'm distracted at the moment, having just discovered that the Academy Museum in Los Angeles presented nearly a month of Mexican horror in October 2022, and I didn't know about it! And the image they chose to represent the entire festival was the very image from the scene that more than any other scene, represents the pinnacle of the genre to me: ....
...and I thought you were going to say where le vampire was on his knees licking blood off the floor. What a horrible scene, after all that floor might have germs! I watched that short video you posted. Needless to say, it did not thrill me at all.

Do you remember leobertucci from old TCM Forum? Every post he made was a denunciation of silent films. And here I am. Movie is my game, Horror is my bane!
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Well, as I recall, Kharis licks the tanna leaves liquid off the floor when it spills, in The Mummy's Hand, so why shouldn't a vampire lick blood off the floor?
laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: January 29th, 2023, 5:45 pm Well, as I recall, Kharis licks the tanna leaves liquid off the floor when it spills, in The Mummy's Hand, so why shouldn't a vampire lick blood off the floor?
Agreed. It's such a pleasing image too! :lol:
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

Swithin wrote: January 29th, 2023, 5:45 pm Well, as I recall, Kharis licks the tanna leaves liquid off the floor when it spills, in The Mummy's Hand, so why shouldn't a vampire lick blood off the floor?
:smilie_happy_thumbup:
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: January 29th, 2023, 5:28 pm
Do you remember leobertucci from old TCM Forum? Every post he made was a denunciation of silent films. And here I am. Movie is my game, Horror is my bane!
I vaguely remember that name. One of my favorite TCM posters was Prince Saliano, who loved horror films and had a real appreciation for them. He drifted away awhile back, during one of the TCM site renovations.

Prince Saliano's name was taken from the Bela Lugosi character in You'll Find Out (1940), a sort of musical horror film featuring Kay Kyser and his Band, including Ish Kabibble.

Here's a musical clip from the film. Though not intended, the first part of this clip is disturbing, and not for any reason they may have known about in 1940!

laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: January 29th, 2023, 10:44 pm
laffite wrote: January 29th, 2023, 5:28 pm
I vaguely remember that name. One of my favorite TCM posters was Prince Saliano, who loved horror films and had a real appreciation for them. He drifted away awhile back, during one of the TCM site renovations.

Prince Saliano's name was taken from the Bela Lugosi character in You'll Find Out (1940), a sort of musical horror film featuring Kay Kyser and his Band, including Ish Kabibble.

Here's a musical clip from the film. Though not intended, the first part of this clip is disturbing, and not for any reason they may have known about in 1940!

I remember Prince Saliano though we never communicated directly. He was pal of SNORKY who was not the amiable one, not to me anyway. In fact he disliked me. though I don't know what the trouble was. So long ago, shrouded in mystery.

The first part of the clip was disturbing, because ... ? The Sonovar (Sp?) , the creepy tones? And not for any reason the may hav known about in 1940 (?). I seem to be quite clueless here (no comment, please) I know I am a complete failure with Horror.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: January 29th, 2023, 11:33 pm
The first part of the clip was disturbing, because ... ? The Sonovar (Sp?) , the creepy tones? And not for any reason the may hav known about in 1940 (?). I seem to be quite clueless here (no comment, please) I know I am a complete failure with Horror.
I found it disturbing because it reminded me of the technology that was used to enable patients with certain types of cancer to speak, and their speech sounded like the singers in the clip.

I don't remember SNORKY at all.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: January 29th, 2023, 11:40 pm
I don't remember SNORKY at all.
For the record, I don't recall Prince Saliano having any of Snorky's unpleasantness. Snorky didn't like many but he liked the Prince.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: January 29th, 2023, 11:31 am

An interesting, fairly straightforward act of Wilde suing the Lord of Queensberry for libel. Queensberry's son (John Neville) is involved with Wilde. Robert Morley is excellent as Wilde, capturing his wit and talent. Neville and Morley would reunite 5 years later as Sherlock Holmes and his brother Mycroft in A Study In Terror.

There was another film about Wilde that same year, The Trials Of Oscar Wilde with Peter Finch that I have not seen, Anyone seen both?
I've seen both but the Peter Finch move I hardly remember at all. I agree with you regarding Robert Morley. And I remember (but not clearly) really taken with the end of the film. Wasn't there some great flourish at the end, either by Morley or the movie? I remember being quite thrilled with it. I yearn to have my memory jogged. Can you help? Something more than the usual end of a Oscar Wilde movie, the hotel death bed and the remark about the wallpaper. Something else! Thanks.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: January 29th, 2023, 11:31 am

I have seen both 1960 versions and though a bit different, I would rank them about the same. As far as the lead performances go, I ever so slightly preferred Morley. But John Fraser as Bosie in 'Trials' was really worth noting.