I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
User avatar
Masha
Posts: 2088
Joined: January 16th, 2015, 10:22 am

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Masha »

Lorna wrote: April 1st, 2024, 8:19 am SOMETIMES I LIKE TO HURT MYSELF by watching REALLY MESSED UP HORROR/EROTIC/EXPLOITATION MOVIES. I don't feel like getting into WHY, I just DO. And TUBI, it seems, is a GREAT PLACE FOR ****ED UP ****, this just showed up in my feed this weekend.

I find TubiTV to be an excellent source of non-mainstream movies. Among my favorites are:

The VelociPastor (2010) This is a very fun little movie!

The Monster of Camp Sunshine (1964) The horror is mild as there is one only zombie-like being. It is exploitation movie by being set partially in nudist camp.

Attack of the 50-Foot Camgirl (2022) This is not specifically horror but it is an exploitation movie. I found it to be quite fun to see a social media influencer face the consequences of her actions.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
User avatar
Lorna
Posts: 520
Joined: October 26th, 2023, 10:32 am

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

Masha wrote: April 1st, 2024, 12:13 pm
Lorna wrote: April 1st, 2024, 8:19 am SOMETIMES I LIKE TO HURT MYSELF by watching REALLY MESSED UP HORROR/EROTIC/EXPLOITATION MOVIES. I don't feel like getting into WHY, I just DO. And TUBI, it seems, is a GREAT PLACE FOR ****ED UP ****, this just showed up in my feed this weekend.

I find TubiTV to be an excellent source of non-mainstream movies.
I really only have one beef with TUBI and that is that they're starting to PUSH IT with THE COMMERCIALS
BUT
Their cult film/ horror movie/ animation/ classic tv collections are so good, that I'll let it be FOR NOW.

PS- The 1988 version of THE BLOB, which is a lot better than the original is on TUBI, as is THE RETURN OF COUNT YORGA and THE MONSTER CLUB and the original two seasons of SCOOBY DOO WHERE ARE YOU?
User avatar
Lorna
Posts: 520
Joined: October 26th, 2023, 10:32 am

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

...I will also note that BURIAL GROUND was SUCH AN INTENSE FILM- a real TRIAL FOR THE MIND AND THE SENSES that for once I was actually okay with the commercial breaks.

i still muted them though.
User avatar
CinemaInternational
Posts: 903
Joined: October 23rd, 2022, 3:12 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by CinemaInternational »

A few notes on recently watched things.

I admit I bailed on 2014's Inherent Vice before the end. It just seemed to be a shaggy dog type of story that was serving no sort of purpose except to show the "let-it-all-hang-out" nature of the LA of 1970 in more unflinching detail than any film of that era would have dared to.

Piccadilly Jim (1936) is one of those 30s films with a wispy plot that evaporates after you watch it, but it was delicious fun to watch though, with wonderful dialogue rhythms and spirited acting from Robert Montgomery, Frank Morgan, et all.

Past Lives (2023) was a Best picture nominee this past year. I feel kind of bad saying it because the film is delicate, tender, and frequently charming, but it would have made a better short subject than a full length movie. Even at 98 minutes (before credits), there are an awful lot of pauses for silent breaks and ambient music that does nothing except make you realize that it is overextrended.

The Egyptian (1954) was a bit too stodgy for me, not helped by an incredibly murky print.

Mary Mary (1963) is extremely stagy but Debbie Reynolds and co. put the witty lines over with brio.

Blue Denim (1959) has Brandon De Wilde and Carol Lynley as teens suddenly expecting a baby, which puts a wrench into their plans. The film is astutely observed and generally well-played.
User avatar
CinemaInternational
Posts: 903
Joined: October 23rd, 2022, 3:12 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by CinemaInternational »

I accidentally came across a topless photo of Lynley on this website when searching for other times her name was brought up here. That was unexpected.
User avatar
Hibi
Posts: 1529
Joined: July 3rd, 2008, 1:22 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 1st, 2024, 4:16 pm I accidentally came across a topless photo of Lynley on this website when searching for other times her name was brought up here. That was unexpected.
Didn't she pose for Playboy when older? I think so.
User avatar
CinemaInternational
Posts: 903
Joined: October 23rd, 2022, 3:12 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: April 1st, 2024, 4:50 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: April 1st, 2024, 4:16 pm I accidentally came across a topless photo of Lynley on this website when searching for other times her name was brought up here. That was unexpected.
Didn't she pose for Playboy when older? I think so.
Just did a search, and she did indeed pose for them in 1965, around the time Bunny Lake is Missing was released.
User avatar
Lorna
Posts: 520
Joined: October 26th, 2023, 10:32 am

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 1st, 2024, 3:59 pm A few notes on recently watched things.

The Egyptian (1954) was a bit too stodgy for me, not helped by an incredibly murky print.

Blue Denim (1959) has Brandon De Wilde and Carol Lynley as teens suddenly expecting a baby, which puts a wrench into their plans. The film is astutely observed and generally well-played.
1. you must've seen an off-brand print of THE EGYPTIAN somewhere because it played a long time ago on THAT CERTAIN CABLE NETWORK FOR CLASSIC MOVIES and I watched a lot of it and I still remember being surprised by how GOOD-LOOKING THE FILM WAS (the COLORS are like something out of a LITTLE GOLDEN BOOK) and also how GOOD JOHN CARRADINE IS in what I think is his only scene? He has a extended bit of dialogue where (as i recall) he compares the fleeting nature of life with the sands of the desert. i think it was THE FIRST TIME I HAD SEEN JOHN CARRADINE actually act, and damn! he could do it.

2. you might know this, but the trailer for BLUE DENIM is narrated by none other than MISS JOAN CRAWFORD. i have no idea if there was a PEPSI TIE IN, but it's entirely possible. EDIT: Looks like her bit was filmed on the set of THE BEST OF EVERYTHING, makes sense as it was for FOX.

User avatar
Hibi
Posts: 1529
Joined: July 3rd, 2008, 1:22 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 7:47 am
CinemaInternational wrote: April 1st, 2024, 3:59 pm A few notes on recently watched things.

The Egyptian (1954) was a bit too stodgy for me, not helped by an incredibly murky print.

Blue Denim (1959) has Brandon De Wilde and Carol Lynley as teens suddenly expecting a baby, which puts a wrench into their plans. The film is astutely observed and generally well-played.
1. you must've seen an off-brand print of THE EGYPTIAN somewhere because it played a long time ago on THAT CERTAIN CABLE NETWORK FOR CLASSIC MOVIES and I watched a lot of it and I still remember being surprised by how GOOD-LOOKING THE FILM WAS (the COLORS are like something out of a LITTLE GOLDEN BOOK) and also how GOOD JOHN CARRADINE IS in what I think is his only scene? He has a extended bit of dialogue where (as i recall) he compares the fleeting nature of life with the sands of the desert. i think it was THE FIRST TIME I HAD SEEN JOHN CARRADINE actually act, and damn! he could do it.

2. you might know this, but the trailer for BLUE DENIM is narrated by none other than MISS JOAN CRAWFORD. i have no idea if there was a PEPSI TIE IN, but it's entirely possible. EDIT: Looks like her bit was filmed on the set of THE BEST OF EVERYTHING, makes sense as it was for FOX.

YES! I'm sure TCM has run it from time to time as I can't think where else I could've seen it before (and I have) These are good kids! I wonder how or why she agreed to do that.
User avatar
Lorna
Posts: 520
Joined: October 26th, 2023, 10:32 am

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 8:39 am YES! I'm sure TCM has run [BLUE DENIM] from time to time as I can't think where else I could've seen it before (and I have) These are good kids! I wonder how or why [CRAWFORD] agreed to do that.
Image
User avatar
Hibi
Posts: 1529
Joined: July 3rd, 2008, 1:22 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 9:13 am
Hibi wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 8:39 am YES! I'm sure TCM has run [BLUE DENIM] from time to time as I can't think where else I could've seen it before (and I have) These are good kids! I wonder how or why [CRAWFORD] agreed to do that.
Image
LOL!!!!
User avatar
HoldenIsHere
Posts: 736
Joined: October 22nd, 2022, 7:07 pm
Location: The Notorious H.n.J.

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 7:47 am
CinemaInternational wrote: April 1st, 2024, 3:59 pm A few notes on recently watched things.

The Egyptian (1954) was a bit too stodgy for me, not helped by an incredibly murky print.

Blue Denim (1959) has Brandon De Wilde and Carol Lynley as teens suddenly expecting a baby, which puts a wrench into their plans. The film is astutely observed and generally well-played.
1. you must've seen an off-brand print of THE EGYPTIAN somewhere because it played a long time ago on THAT CERTAIN CABLE NETWORK FOR CLASSIC MOVIES and I watched a lot of it and I still remember being surprised by how GOOD-LOOKING THE FILM WAS (the COLORS are like something out of a LITTLE GOLDEN BOOK) and also how GOOD JOHN CARRADINE IS in what I think is his only scene? He has a extended bit of dialogue where (as i recall) he compares the fleeting nature of life with the sands of the desert. i think it was THE FIRST TIME I HAD SEEN JOHN CARRADINE actually act, and damn! he could do it.

2. you might know this, but the trailer for BLUE DENIM is narrated by none other than MISS JOAN CRAWFORD. i have no idea if there was a PEPSI TIE IN, but it's entirely possible. EDIT: Looks like her bit was filmed on the set of THE BEST OF EVERYTHING, makes sense as it was for FOX.

MS CRAWFORD: "This is the story of the ahftuhmahth [aftermath] . . ."

I posted this trailer in my BLUE DENIM thread on the old TCM message boards.
Folks who posted at or visited those boards will remember how the BLUE DENIM thread morphed into one of those amazing threads where we talked about all kinds of topics.
User avatar
Lorna
Posts: 520
Joined: October 26th, 2023, 10:32 am

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

HOO BOY.

All right, I want to preface this with the fact that I am compelled to write about my experience watching this film BUT the subject matter is not for everyone.

sigh.

see my recent review for BURIAL GROUND in re: my opinions on ITALIAN EXPLOITATION CINEMA OF THE 70S and 80S and also a brief word on my odd sadomasochistic tendencies in film viewing.

Image

that said, I watched SALON KITTY (1976)- GOD FORGIVE ME- but it's a title I've been searching for for a while. it is an ITALIAN NAZI EXPLOITATION FILM somewhat along the lines of THE DAMNED and THE NIGHT PORTER by the guy who later directed CALIGULA.

Tender, thoughtful, heartwarming stuff as you can imagine.

it's about espionage and HIGH FASHION and a brothel for Nazis. INGRID THULIN is the titular KITTY- a MADAME in 1939 GERMANY and she is kind of wonderfully awful- sort of a DOLLAR GENERAL HILDEGARDE KNEFF who isn't above serving nipple in spite of the fact she is roughly 400 years old.

have you ever been watching CABARET and thought to yourself "well, this is fun, but I kinda wish they'd work 100 times as many NAZIS into the story, but still keep the "feel" of the piece"?

Well Brother, this is the film for you.


Also, are you by any chance that guy in the third row clapping passionately for the SPRINGTIME FOR HITLER opening number in THE PRODUCERS?

You know what else? This film is not entirely awful-[/b] and for some reason, at 2 HOURS AND 5 MINUTES and with only about 35 minutes of ACTUAL PLOT (that does not start until the second act, by the way) WHAT STORY THERE IS is ACTUALLY COMPELLING ENOUGH TO KEEP YOU AROUND TO THE END.

And also the full frontal male nudity.

One thing I will say for the director- and not just because I read it on the imdb trivia page- HE IS REALLY GOOD AT INCORPORATING REFLECTED AND PROJECTED IMAGES INTO HIS SHOTS. there are swastikas over naked women and shown in marble floors in pretty artfully and complex ways, also the images are not badly staged.

everyone is DUBBED, it's saturated as HELL, there is also some high fashion, a character wears a copy of the BLACK AND WHITE GOWN ADRIAN DID FOR JOAN CRAWFORD IN GRAND HOTEL and it works.

there is also A LOT OF VAGINA in this film. Like wow, from just, all the angles. and heavy sexual content that I'd rather not describe. apparently i got to see "THE FULL VERSION" oh and there is a lot of FULL FRONTAL MALE NUDITY and HELMUT BERGER plays more or less the same character as he did in THE DAMNED only without the cross-dressing.

Oh, JOHN IRELAND is in this. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [HE SEEMS SLOSHED, I guess it was a free trip to Italy and all the clams he could eat)

I saw this on "FAWESOME" with about 12 commercial breaks which were 2-3 minutes a piece- just throwing that out there, i'm sure ALLSTATE and SUBWAY would be THRILLED to know THEIR NAMES were attached even casually to THIS
.
User avatar
CinemaInternational
Posts: 903
Joined: October 23rd, 2022, 3:12 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hey, Lorna, I saw part of one of your favorite Murder, She Wrote episodes last night, Jessica Behind Bars with the women's prison riot. Remember when I thought on the old boards of a way to use that episode as part of a way to cap off the series in grand fashion?
User avatar
Lorna
Posts: 520
Joined: October 26th, 2023, 10:32 am

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 4th, 2024, 2:05 pm Hey, Lorna, I saw part of one of your favorite Murder, She Wrote episodes last night, Jessica Behind Bars with the women's prison riot. Remember when I thought on the old boards of a way to use that episode as part of a way to cap off the series in grand fashion?
Actually, I hope you forgive me, but no. I can’t say as I recall that exactly at the moment. (It’s been a wild couple years)
Refresh me.
Post Reply