Coming up on TCM...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: Coming up on TCM...

Post by Hibi »

https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/2194594 ... l#overview

Tab Hunter Confidential:This Thursday at midnight.

Very good documentary about Tab Hunter with Tab participating.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

My favorite Martin Scorsese movie ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE airs tomorrow (April 20) at 8 PM.

It features a fantastic Oscar-winning performance by Ellen Burstyn in the title role.
I love the relationship between Alice and her son, played by Alfred Lutter.

The joke that he keeps trying to tell cracks me up: "Shoot the dog! Shoot the dog!"

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

THE EXORCIST (1973) on TCM Saturday April 22 10:30pm est

EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Allhallowsday wrote: April 21st, 2023, 2:12 pm Image
"We see London! We see France . . . !"
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Allhallowsday wrote: April 21st, 2023, 2:12 pm THE EXORCIST (1973) on TCM Saturday April 22 10:30pm est
THE EXORCIST features another great performance by Ellen Burstyn.
She does so much without seeming to do anything.

Has Ellen Burstyn ever had a Summer Under The Stars day on TCM?

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 21st, 2023, 8:10 pm
wrote: April 21st, 2023, 2:12 pm
She should have one. I'd love to see that cheerful flick, Requiem for a Dream (2000) again. Burstyn should have won the Oscar (she was nominated).

HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Swithin wrote: April 21st, 2023, 8:19 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 21st, 2023, 8:10 pm
wrote: April 21st, 2023, 2:12 pm
She should have one. I'd love to see that cheerful flick, Requiem for a Dream (2000) again. Burstyn should have won the Oscar (she was nominated).
Although Julia Roberts received more votes from Academy members that year for her performance in ERIN BROCKOVICH and therefore was entitled to her Oscar, Ellen Burstyn's performance in REQUIEM FOR A DREAM was by far more powerful and more nuanced.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

THE EXORCIST (1973) on TCM Saturday April 22 10:30pm est TONIGHT!!!

HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

This evening (April 26) into the early morning on Thursday, TCM is airing all 3 of James Dean's movies:
EAST OF EDEN
REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE
GIANT

ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

TCM Remembers Harry Belafonte – Saturday, July 22

8:00 PM – Carmen Jones (1955) – A sultry factory worker seduces a young soldier then dumps him for another man.

10:00 PM – The World, the Flesh and the Devil (1959) – One woman and two men are the only people left alive after a nuclear disaster.

TCM Guest Programmer Shari Belafonte – Monday, July 10

8:00 PM – Odds Against Tomorrow (1959) – Desperate losers plan a bank robbery with unexpected results.

In addition, Belafonte’s film Bright Road (1953) will be featured on Sunday, July 16, during TCM’s Disability in the Movies spotlight.
was "mr6666" @ TCM
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

ziggy6708a wrote: April 27th, 2023, 9:40 pm TCM Remembers Harry Belafonte – Saturday, July 22
Belafonte’s film Bright Road (1953) will be featured on Sunday, July 16, during TCM’s Disability in the Movies spotlight.
I recorded that from TCM, burned it to a disk to watch later & can't find it!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I have no idea how to get something I recorded to my computer, then make a DVD.
I probably would be subject to not being able to find it either.
I use to record to video cassette and not label it.
So I'm not laughing at you TikiSoo, but with you.
My birthday is July 22 and that seems a long ways away.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Airing this afternoon (4:15 PM Eastern) is Peter Bogdanovich's homage to screwball comedies WHAT'S UP, DOC? (1972), starring Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Neal as a hot nerd.
The movie is notable as the feature film debut of the great Madeline Kahn.
Other highlights are the Cole Porter music used throughout the movie (Including Barbra Streisand singing "You're The Top" in the opening and closing credits) and the wonderful San Francisco locations. The comic chase sequence in WHAT's UP, DOC? is a spoof of the San Francisco car chase from BULLITT.
I love Mabel Albertson (Darrin's mother with the sick headaches from BEWITCHED) as the wealthy socialite whose jewels are stolen: "Oh my jewels! Thieves! Robbers! Thieves!"

"What on Earth are you doing with Howard Bannister's rocks?"
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Beginning at 12:00 PM Eastern on Mother's Day (May 14), Ben Mankiewicz and Mario Cantone host a screening of 6 movies beginning with Mildred Pierce and ending with Postcards From The Edge.

I always enjoy Mario Cantone's commentary on movies because of his enthusiasm for the movies he's talking about and his knowledge of them. From the details he mentions, it's clear that he's seen the movies many times. He and Ben Mankiewicz make a great team.
Thanks to my mom and my aunt, I had the fortune of attending the TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood this April. Mario Cantone was the host or co-host at three of the movies I saw at the festival: Hairspray, East Of Eden and The Old Maid. He and his husband Jerry Dixon were eating at the counter at 25 Degrees in the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel when my cousin and I had lunch there. Mario was wearing a T-shirt and jeans and had a very serious look on his face when he left the restaurant. (By the way, he is very good looking in person.)

The scheduled movies for Ben and Mario's Mother's Day line-up:

Mildred Pierce (1945): Directed by Michael Curtiz for Warner Brothers, this is the movie that won her Joan Crawford an Oscar and began a new phase of her career. Ann Blyth plays her selfish, ungrateful daughter. It's the perfect movie to kick-off the special. Joan Crawford gives one of the best movie performances of all-time. She was often thought of as a “glamour girl,” but her acting in Mildred Pierce is as nuanced as anything that, say, Bette Davis ever did, communicating a multitude of emotions with just a glance.

My Reputation (1946): This movie stars Barbara Stanwyck (who was Michael Curtiz's choice for the lead in Mildred Pierce) as a widowed mother who becomes the subject of gossip in suburban Chicago society when she falls for an army major (played by George Brent).

The Trip to Bountiful (1985): Geraldine Page finally won an Oscar (after multiple nominations) for her performance as Carrie Watts in this movie adapted by Horton Foote from his play of the same name. Mrs. Watts's daughter-in-law (who is annoyed by her mother-in-law's hymn singing in their Houston apartment) is played by Carlin Glynn, the wife of the movie's director Peter Masterson.

Hairspray (1988): I saw this John Waters movie at the TCM Classic Film Festival, where it was introduced by Mario Cantone and the movie's star Ricki Lake. (It was originally scheduled to be screened poolside but was moved inside the Roosevelt Hotel due to rain.) John Waters's frequent collaborator who worked professionally under the name Divine is wonderful as the mother of Ricki Lake's character. He also plays a TV station owner and originally wanted to play both the mother and daughter in the movie. According to Ricki Lake, Divine taught her how to walk in high heels! Sadly, Divine died just weeks after the nationwide release of Hairspray.

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974): Ellen Burstyn chose this movie as the follow-up to her box office success The Exorcist (which I saw at the TCM Classic Film Festival) and personally recommended Martin Scorsese to direct. Burstyn won an Oscar for performance, and Scorsese would go on to become one of the most acclaimed American filmmakers. Alfred Lutter is fantastically real as Alice’s son. It’s mind-blowing that he was not nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for this role! Child actor Justin Henry was nominated for crying in Kramer vs Kramer but Alfred Lutter wasn't for all he did in Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore? Go figure. . .

Postcards From The Edge (1990): Mike Nichols’s movie was based on the semi-autobiographical novel of the same name by Carrie Fisher, who wrote the screenplay. Meryl Streep stars a movie actress dealing with drug addiction and recovery. Shirley MacLaine plays Streep’s alcoholic movie star mother, and Mary Wickes plays her grandmother. Carrie Fisher’s mother Debbie Reynolds insisted that the movie was not about their real mother-daughter relationship. Meryl Streep gives a wonderful comedic performance in this movie and also a taste of her singing ability that would later be on full display in Mamma Mia! and Into The Woods.