Re: Coming Up on TCM

Post by JackFavell »

I'll watch Juano in anything!

As for The Enchanted Cottage, LOVE IT!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey, I like those star-heavy glamour-fests! :D

I completely agree about Deep Valley, kingrat, it's a wonderful film and I wish TCM would show it again.

I enjoy The Conspirators, and I'll be recording it, even though it is not a great movie. It doesn't seem to take itself too seriously which makes it more entertaining than it might be. It's a Casablanca-like adventure romance, with almost the same cast. Paul Henreid stars with Hedy Lamarr this time around. If I'm remembering correctly, he was mystified by his leading lady, and thought her a dreadful actress, but then, I think he was mystified by most of his leading ladies. :D

My boy Joe Calleia is in it and sports a deliciously refined accent, which I think must have been closer to his own voice than the gangster-ese or the fake Italian he usually ended up using.

Round up the usual suspects!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

King, a wonderful post. I plan to enjoy a few of those Negulesco features.

And Jackie, I am so glad that you enjoyed the The Enchanted Cottage.

I have never seen The Conspirators, but you all have peaked my interest!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

kingrat wrote:Sunday night the TCM Imports is Visconti's ROCCO AND HIS BROTHERS. I've seen only the first half of this film, which is currently hard to obtain on DVD. So if it interests you, here's a chance to tape it. Alain Delon and Annie Girardot star.

One of the TCM City posters claims to have an early list of August's Summer Under the Stars. If the list is correct, kingme will be very, very happy on August 8 because the star will be . . . Rita Hayworth.

The list--again, if it is correct--is less adventurous than last year's inclusion of Jean Gabin, but everyone is bound to find some faves.
Thanks Kingrat ... I update my planner regarding August 8th ... You got me curious ... :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oooh, I probably would have missed Rocco and his Brothers, thinking it would be available elsewhere, so thanks, kingrat for that info! It's the only Delon movie I've actually seen before, one of those that I came in on, had no idea what it was, but sat watching anyway right through to the end.

Also on Sunday, at 12:30 in the afternoon, ET, is a little gem called Whirlpool(1934), starring Jack Holt and the up and coming Jean Arthur. I just loved this one the last time it was on, so I'll be recording it this time.

Jack Holt has never been better than in this brisk film. He and Arthur are very touching together, as father and daughter who've only just met. Holt is exceptional as Buck Rankin, an ex-con who has spent twenty years in prison, and now is high up in the underworld. Arthur is the reporter on the other side of the law, who discovers their relationship through an old photograph in her mother's purse, and comes to love the man. Both give sensitive performances.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Have you never seen Delon in anything else? You're in for a treat, he's not just a pretty face, he's done some remarkable movies, including the original Talented Mr Ripley which is so much better than the original. Rocco and His Brothers is worth catching if you get chance.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

No I was mistaken. Sorry, this is not the movie I saw. I've only seen one with Delon in it. I remember very clearly watching this movie in my aunt's basement, not having any idea what it was. He was a very tough thief or con man, who was re-thinking his life... wanting to escape but being drawn back in. Very gritty. It was much later than Rocco. The movie has stayed with me all these years and Delon's performance in it. I remember thinking how gorgeous he was, then as I watched I realized that he had a tremendous presence and acting talent as well. This is what stayed with me, so I am very much looking forward to seeing Rocco, expanding my knowledge of Delon.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

You won't be sorry :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Don't forget the other great Bergman, directed by Bergman in Autumn Sonata (1978) showing right before.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

A nasty little film that doesn't get much play, Cry Terror (1958) is on this morning. Also worth seeing today are Man with a Cloak and The Steel Trap.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

femme fatale:
noun ( pl. femmes fatales pronunc. same )
an attractive and seductive woman, esp. one who will ultimately bring disaster to a man who becomes involved with her. ORIGIN early 20th cent.: French, literally ‘disastrous woman.’

Image Image

On the spectrum of femmes fatales both these blondes make quite an impact, though their approach to lethal lady-hood differ. At 5:45pm Marilyn Monroe stars in "NIAGARA" and at 8:00pm, Peggy Cummins ( in attendance at this year's TCM Classic Film Festival ) shoots first and asks questions later in "GUN CRAZY."

Ms. Cummins exact words to me about her character..."Well I thought she was just a little mixed up, wouldn't you say?"

Uhmmm, watch them both at a safe distance...

And I am SO HAPPY to see the SSO back on line. Hip hip hooray!!!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

CineMaven wrote:femme fatale:
noun ( pl. femmes fatales pronunc. same )
an attractive and seductive woman, esp. one who will ultimately bring disaster to a man who becomes involved with her. ORIGIN early 20th cent.: French, literally ‘disastrous woman.’

Uhmmm, watch them both at a safe distance...
Okay, I know that there is something wrong with me, but...I have watched Niagara (1953-Henry Hathaway) a few times for cinematographer Joe MacDonald's whirlpool of vivid, almost lurid colors used by Hathaway, to relish visiting the awesomeness of Niagara Falls vicariously, to catch one of soft-spoken Irish character actor Denis O'Dea's more likable portrayals of a cop...but most of all to see Jean Peters as the "normal" young wife, married to one of those "men I love to hate," Max Showalter, who had the oiliest manner this side of Pepé Le Pew. Peters' character is far more nuanced than almost everyone else as she is drawn into a quest to figure out that strange couple next door in the motel. The more she learns, the more endangered she becomes, but if I were on a honeymoon with Max, I'd probably go over the Falls with a sigh of relief.
Above: The lovely and talented Jean Peters with Max Showalter in Niagara (1953). Would you want to share a motel room with a guy who wore that shirt?

For several reasons, Marilyn Monroe always makes me sad as she sashays around exuding the obvious, especially in this movie, as she appears in one dance hall floozie outfit after another, loaded for bear and looking for attention in a pathetic attempt to hide her lost soul. Her vulnerable presence--not her talent--always makes me wish that Monroe really could have kissed Hollywood goodbye and gone off to San Francisco with Joe DiMaggio to make babies and have a real family instead of becoming a shopworn icon still being passed around fifty years after her death. But maybe it's just me.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks