Coming Up on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: Coming Up on TCM

Post by Lzcutter »

Illicit is way too talky!

James Rennie looks like he could be Fredric March's younger brother.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

You're right! A sibling of the real Frederic March! :lol:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Lzcutter wrote:Moira,

Ten Cents a Dance may be the most sympathetic role I have ever seen Ricardo Cortez play!

And he was good in the role!

I guess I am just too used to him being either selfish jerk or a bad guy.
I kept wondering when Ricardo Cortez was going to lunge at Babs, but was amazed that he seemed so restrained and high-minded. My real awe was reserved for the choice of Monroe Owsley as a mate for life. Typecast after his appearance in Holiday (1930) as Ann Harding's weakling brother, Owsley went on in his brief career to portray an incredible array of guys you would never bring home to mother (if you had one), much less spend unpaid time in his company off the dance floor. When he wasn't making Barbara Stanwyck feel guilty through his whining and wheedling, Owsley was just repellent. Given his portraits of masculinity in this movie, Holiday, Ex-Lady, and especially Call Her Savage (in a role as the most depraved individual the self-destructive Clara Bow could have chosen as a hubby), I must credit the actor with providing us with an intriguing argument against the pursuit of a conventional life via marriage expressed in pre-code's seediest terms . Poor Owsley's checkered career path was cut short by his early death of a heart attack at only 36 after a car accident--though the unwholesome portrayal of bad husband material was once again lifted by the almost as icky John Eldredge on movie screens for the rest of the decade.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I must credit the actor with providing us with an intriguing argument against the pursuit of a conventional life
Ha! I'll say. And what red blooded American gal would pick him over dreamy Cortez? I was in Ricardo heaven last night. sigh Image
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MIGHTY MANHATTAN - NEW YORK WONDER CITY - 1949 FILM
ON TCM TODAY ... July 22nd, 2012

[youtube][/youtube]

This is very good and well made ... it's a great tour of the city back in 1949.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I have been enjoying the TCM Remembers with images of Celeste Holm, and feel that it is lovely, but I also will always remember her lovely voice as Addie Ross in A Letter To Three Wives, and she was never seen once on the big screen in that film.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Gee. Celeste. :(
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

The Walking Dead (1936) makes an early appearance tomorrow morning (7/29). An under appreciated Karloff gem that is a great introduction to his acting style and should appeal to non horror fans as well as the converted.

Karloff will also star in two Mr. Wong films, Doomed To Die and The Fatal Hour (both 1940) on the 31st.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for the reminder about The Walking Dead, Ark. This film uses silence as well as music very eloquently. The poetic and dark sides of Karloff's unique screen persona become heartbreaking in one of his quietest performances. It is also interesting to see Edmund Gwenn playing a non-Kris Kringle part.

The framing and lighting of many scenes are expressionistic studies in the glories of black and white as well as the seamless use of a mobile camera. Cinematographer Hal Mohr and director Michael Curtiz were a great combo. Mohr worked with Curtiz on six movies such as Captain Blood (1936), beginning in the silent era when the Hungarian director made his first American movie, The Third Degree (1926.).

(It should make JackFavell happy since Ricardo Cortez is also featured prominently in this one. Sorry, Wendy, but the patent leather bounder gets what he deserves in this one!)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

There aren't enough horror/gangster films, but The Walking Dead is certainly the best.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I was already jumping in to say that Ricardo is the most ee-vil of Karloff's enemies! So callous... he does get what he deserves. In fact, you wait for him to get his "comeuppance".

But he's one cute son of a bleep.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

FIVE CAME BACK (1939), a compelling "lost-in-the-jungle" story highlighted by a very good cast headed by Chester Morris, Lucille Ball (when she was a raffish RKO doxie), Joseph Calleia's haunting performance as a condemned man, and some fine moments for C. Aubrey Smith and Elisabeth Risdon.

In photo: Chet & Lucy being directed by John Farrow, who is sitting next to the camera wearing a smile and specs.

This movie kicks off tonight's prime time classic adventure flicks on TCM at 8pm (ET).

Has anyone ever seen Plunder in the Sun (1953), the Glenn Ford movie also directed by Farrow that is scheduled for 11:30pm (ET)? Is it worth a look?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

YES! I love FIVE CAME BACK for obvious reasons - Calleia gets a really nice plum role for a change. One of those microcosms-of-the-world-in-a-small-group movies....it goes a little bit different direction than you think it will. This makes for a really interesting movie, even if it is overlooked because of its competition at the box office the year it was made- 1939.

I haven't seen Plunder of the Sun, never even heard of it, but with Diana Lynn AND Patricia Medina in the cast, I am sure I can get into this Glenn Ford movie. I am looking forward to Island in the Sky, which I've never seen all the way through. How the heck does it come out? I've always missed the end! WAIT, don't tell me. :D

I am especially excited about Sinbad the Sailor which I haven't seen since I was a kid! Maybe I can stay up long enough to see it and get a recording of it, after the heartbreak of missing The Corsican Brothers a few months ago, which I also haven't seen since I was a kid.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:I am looking forward to Island in the Sky, which I've never seen all the way through. How the heck does it come out? I've always missed the end! WAIT, don't tell me.
No spoilers, but it's quite a good, somewhat unexpected ending. I like the Duke in Island in the Sky--I think the early to mid-'50s were good years for him as an actor and as eye candy. :roll:

Irish actor and late member of the John Ford stock company, Sean McClory is in both Island in the Sky and Plunder in the Sun, both of which were Batjac Productions and sat on the shelf of Wayne's estate for years before they were released at last on DVD a few years ago, along with The High and the Mighty.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh good! I'll be looking for Sean when I watch those, the big lug.

I've noticed some very creative programming this last week before SUTS. I am enjoying the strings of movies with lesser known actors and actresses, and all the not necessarily dog movies, but movies with dogs in prominent roles.

Of course, I may be misreading the schedule. It's happened before that I thought they were programming a series of films with a bit or character actor, only to find out it was because a major star happened to work with my favorite lovable curmudgeon or palooka eight times. It just shows you how my mind works, I always look for the supporting cast first. :D