Coming Up on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Rita Hayworth

Re: Coming Up on TCM

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Note from Kingme!

On August (Friday) 3rd, a Brand New Rita Hayworth Thread will be totally new concept and I took some time off to reflect what I did wrong and I decided to go through a different approach from that day forward. So, on that day ... I will share photographs of Rita in time for her day on TCM of which on August 8th. I will post 12 pictures (all attachments) my favorite of each of these movie just in time of her day on Turner Classic Movies.

So, there will be 4 posts that day and during the month of August ... I will be able to post pictures every Friday until middle of September of which I'm going to be very busy with family and friends. When, I do come back ... I will be unable to post pictures on Saturday and Sunday because of new commitments. So, Friday ... I will resume my Rita Hayworth Picture of the week and will be changing my Avatar on Every Friday from August 3rd.

So, my thread will be reborn with a different approach that I have been thinking about doing it for some time.

August 8th ... Rita Hayworth's Day on Turner Classic Movies
All times - Eastern Standard Time

6:00 AM - Affectionately Yours (1941)
7:30 AM - Angels Over Broadway (1940)
9:00 AM - Money Trap, The (1966) - I have no pictures of this movie
10:45 AM - Lady From Shanghai, The (1948)
12:15 PM - Only Angels Have Wings (1939)
2:30 PM - Tonight and Every Night (1945)
4:15 PM - You'll Never Get Rich (1941)
6:00 PM - Strawberry Blonde, The (1941)

TCM PRIMETIME STARS: RITA HAYWORTH

8:00 PM - Pal Joey (1957)
10:00 PM - Down to Earth (1947)
12:00 AM - Gilda (1946)
2:00 AM - You Were Never Lovelier (1942)
4:00 AM - Miss Sadie Thompson (1953)
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

moirafinnie wrote:
JackFavell wrote:I am looking forward to Island in the Sky, which I've never seen all the way through. How the heck does it come out? I've always missed the end! WAIT, don't tell me.
No spoilers, but it's quite a good, somewhat unexpected ending. I like the Duke in Island in the Sky--I think the early to mid-'50s were good years for him as an actor and as eye candy. :roll:

Irish actor and late member of the John Ford stock company, Sean McClory is in both Island in the Sky and Plunder in the Sun, both of which were Batjac Productions and sat on the shelf of Wayne's estate for years before they were released at last on DVD a few years ago, along with The High and the Mighty.
Island in the Sky is one of my favorite Wayne movies. Whereas most people are a fan of his westerns (and I do like some of those), it's his work the other genres that draws my interest.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Although I would have spent hours arguing with him politically, on the screen the Duke was as favorable to me as Robert Mitchum. Actually, there are one or two of Robert's last films that I do not watch. I like the Duke in:

Hellfighters, and Trouble Along the Way
Donovan's Reef, and Hatari
Without Reservations, and The Wings of Eagles.

I guess if I really thought about it, I could come up with more. Believe it or not, I liked some of his silly really early ones from the 1930's, like The Three Mesketeers, and Randy Rides Alone.

Island in the Sky is a good one and shows some of the acting talent he was really getting built up at the time.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Island in the Sky always makes me cry at the end, even though I know it's coming I still get choked up. Wellman does a great job of building up the tension gradually, and Wayne is remarkably gentle as the leader of this stranded group. Almost a "mother hen" if you will, because the others really would fall apart if he lost his grip. Just as interesting is watching the rescuers, especially Andy Devine and Matt Dillon. In fact I'd say this is Andy's best role. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I am amazed that James Arness didn't take off into superstardom after Island in the Sky! Well, I guess he sort of did, with Matt Dillon. He was so good looking and had a great role in this film. I suspect Duke was a lot like his character in real life.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:Island in the Sky is one of my favorite Wayne movies. Whereas most people are a fan of his westerns (and I do like some of those), it's his work the other genres that draws my interest.
Me, too! The Westerns, particularly The Searchers and other Ford oaters are wonderfully rich, layered movies with great performances by the Duke, but I like the movies when Wayne plays mere mortals particularly well, as he did in Island in the Sky, The High and the Mighty,The Long Voyage Home and Trouble Along the Way. None of these is likely to be a critic's favorite, but the Duke shows a vulnerable side that is quite endearing in all these films.

Miss G. --I start to get choked up beginning in the scene when he goes to sleep saying The Lord's Prayer to himself and ending with that last minute revelation in Island in the Sky. The voice-over narration of Wayne's pilot throughout the film enhances his characterization, at least for me.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Got Joey C ( "Five Came Back" ) and "Island in the Sky" on tap to check out as soon as I get a breather.

By the by...April, you and others here have made me come to the conclusion that JOHN WAYNE must be one of the most underrated actors from the classic film era.

( P.S. Love your Burton avatar too! What film is that from? )
Last edited by CineMaven on July 31st, 2012, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

moirafinnie wrote: Miss G. --I start to get choked up beginning in the scene when he goes to sleep saying The Lord's Prayer to himself and ending with that last minute revelation in Island in the Sky. The voice-over narration of Wayne's pilot throughout the film enhances his characterization, at least for me.

Me, too. I find it especially touching that Dooley (Wayne) does not mention his own wife and children. The others only realize, yes, he's human too when they read the letter from the rescue party. Kind of like how kids who depend on their parents never picture them as having their own, private concerns that have nothing to do with them. :D
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

CineMaven wrote:April, you and some others here have made me come to the conclusion that JOHN WAYNE must be one of the most underrated actors from the classic film era.

it's a strange thing to say about such a famous actor, but i think you're right. :D

( P.S. Love your Burton avatar too! )

thank you, T! it's from when he was filming the spy who came in from the cold, which i recently re-watched. loved it. love him!
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#400080]MissGoddess[/color][/u] wrote:it's a strange thing to say about such a famous actor, but i think you're right. :D

I knew you'd understand.
thank you, T! it's from when he was filming the spy who came in from the cold, which i recently re-watched. loved it. love him!
Fine actor. Larger than life. ( "HEY..." ) Just my throwin' a little shout-out to Claire Bloom.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

kingrat wrote:Among the Leslie Howard films to be shown tonight is BRITISH AGENT, which includes the gushiest language in praise of Lenin (by Kay Francis, of all people) which ever came out of a Hollywood movie.
I love British Agent, in part because director Michael Curtiz keeps this 80 minute historical jaunt zipping along as we encounter Kay Francis playing a commie confused by love of an Englishman, (we know she is a serious revolutionary because she parts her hair in the middle, doesn't wear Kay's usual glam rags, and seems moody--though reportedly that may have been because Leslie Howard seems to have turned the actress down off-screen). I also like the trio of Leslie Howard's co-conspirators in this movie set during the Russian Revolution: the slightly dim but likable American William Gargan (one of Howard's best friends from The Animal Kingdom on stage & screen), the suave Italian (or is he Spanish?) Cesar Romero, and Brit Philip Reed.

Best of all--J. Carrol Naish is Leon Trotsky!

Believe it or not, most of the incidents surrounding these counter-revolutionaries from the West were based on fact, drawn from a book by Robert Hamilton Bruce Lockhart, whose memoirs also inspired the Masterpiece Theater series from the '80s entitled "Reilly, Ace of Spies" and played by Sam Neill.

Above: Kay Francis & Leslie Howard in British Agent (1934).
There's something about those love stories set against the world going up
in flames...maybe it's the realization that the problems of two people
"don't amount to a hill of beans" in this life.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm, looking forward to Allegheny Uprising and Operation Pacific, neither of which I've seen.

I think you are right, Maven, John Wayne is criminally underrated as an actor. He's now one of my favorites, after a long period of despising him when I was growing up, for no real reason except his right wing image (which I think is a faulty assessment, but that's another story). The exception to the rule for me was Wayne in Liberty Valance, which I loved immediately upon seeing. Even seeing that performance, I still never gave Wayne a real serious look till I started on the message boards. And I consider myself an open minded person! :D

Moira, Wayne shows a very human, vulnerable side in They Were Expendable and The Wings of Eagles as well. In fact, he's far from perfect in most of his films, showing characters who don't know what to do, can't get things done, or who are plain wrongheaded. In the movies you mentioned and many others, as early as 1933 in The Life of Jimmy Dolan, Wayne showed a far different persona than was generally perceived of him when I was growing up in the 1960's and 1970's. Most of his films have been a complete surprise to me - how good he is, movie after movie! Mostly my surprise is due to the fact that he's nothing like that 'head honcho' image that I had in my head. There are actually only a couple of movies in which he plays to that image so I can't imagine why people picked up on it so heavily as a flaw for so long.

So suffice it to say, I'm a huge convert. I've liked Duke in every movie I've seen (about 46 films) with the exception of maybe 3 films. And I've even found things that I like about his performances in those films.

I'm looking forward to British Agent again, I remember it being rather floridly written, but a lot of fun.

May I also say how much I am enjoying Marjorie Reynolds day on TCM? It's wonderful to see this lesser known star in so many films, always pert and energetic, very natural. It doesn't hurt when her co-stars are George O'Brien, Boris Karloff and Tim Holt. Thanks TCM, for bringing us the lesser lights of Hollywood, as well as the huge megawatt ones.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

The gorgeous looking singing cowboy on TCM right now is SLIM WHITAKER! Who knew??!!
feaito

Post by feaito »

moirafinnie wrote:
kingrat wrote:Among the Leslie Howard films to be shown tonight is BRITISH AGENT, which includes the gushiest language in praise of Lenin (by Kay Francis, of all people) which ever came out of a Hollywood movie.
Believe it or not, most of the incidents surrounding these counter-revolutionaries from the West were based on fact, drawn from a book by Robert Hamilton Bruce Lockhart, whose memoirs also inspired the Masterpiece Theater series from the '80s entitled "Reilly, Ace of Spies" and played by Sam Neill.[/i]
And Kay's character is based upon the real life Moura Budberg, who was a friend of the Kordas (she was profusely mentioned in Michael Korda's book on Alex, Zoltan and Vincent titled "Charmed Lives"). A small bio taken from wikipedia:

Moura (Maria Ignatievna) Zakrevskaya, variously Countess Benckendorff and Baroness Budberg (ca. 1891 - Nov. 1974) was the daughter of Ignaty Platonovitch Zakrevsky (1841–1905), a Russian nobleman. She first married Count Johann von Benckendorff, a high-ranking Czarist diplomat, in 1911. They owned the mansion called Jendel in Jäneda, in Estonia where he was shot dead in 1919 (by a peasant).

After his assassination in 1919, she moved back to Petrograd. She knew British diplomat Sir R. H. Bruce Lockhart, who mentions her, under her given name, in his book Memoirs of a Secret Agent. Some allege that they were lovers.

After Lockhart was expelled from Russia, she got a job in publishing "World Literature", when she met writer Maxim Gorky. She became his secretary and common law wife, living in Gorky's house with a few interruptions from 1920 to 1933 (when the writer lived in Italy before returning to the USSR). He bitterly dedicated to her his last major work, the novel "The Life of Klim Samgin".

In 1920 she met historian and science fiction writer H. G. Wells and became his mistress. Their relationship was renewed in 1933 in London, where she emigrated after parting with Gorky. A close relationship with Wells continued until his death; Wells asked her to marry him, but Zakrevskaya strongly rejected this proposal.

She visited the Soviet Union twice, in 1936 at the funeral of Gorky (which made people call her an agent of the NKVD) and at the end of 1950, with her daughter Guchkov.

Later, she was briefly married to Baron Nikolai von Budberg-Bönningshausen.

Widely suspected of being a double agent for both the Soviet Union and British intelligence and has been called the "Mata Hari of Russia".

Among her many activities, she wrote books and was the script writer for at least two films: Three Sisters directed by Laurence Olivier and John Sichel (1970), and The Sea Gull directed by Sidney Lumet (1968).

An MI5 informant said of her, "she can drink an amazing quantity, mostly gin".

Moura Budberg's older half-sister, Alexandra 'Alla' Ignatievna Zakrevskaya (1884–1960), who married Baron Arthur von Engelhardt before 1909, was the great-grandmother of Nick Clegg, leader of the British Liberal Democratic Party since December 2007, and Deputy Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from May 2010.