Coming Up on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Vecchiolarry

Re: Coming Up on TCM

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Tomorrow at 8:00PM Eastern, 5:00PM Pacific, "Desiree" (1954) is playing on TCM.
Starring Jean Simmons and Marlon Brando, it is actually featured as part of Merle Oberon's month of movies.

Merle plays Empress Josephine.
I was part of her party at the premier and enjoyed her performance very much. Although it isn't considered a great movie, it did have its moments - and Merle is pretty much the best thing in it.
Later, I tried to start a campaign for her to be nominated for a Supporting Oscar, but she wouldn't hear of it, as she thought it would diminish her 'star' status...

I intend to watch it tomorrow as I haven't seen it in decades..

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thank you for the reminder, Larry.

This fictional version of the real Désirée Clary's complex life in post-revolutionary France was a great read when about fourteen. I may not have the patience (or illusions) to enjoy rereading this, but I think it might be fun to see the movie again since I recall that Jean Simmons was a lovely gamine in contrast with Merle Oberon's moving and dignified Josephine. I remember having a big crush on Michael Rennie in this too, though Brando's sullen whispering as Napoleon irked a bit. I've read that Marlon only did the film for contractual reasons and regarded the material and director Henry Koster as beneath him. Did you have a chance to meet any of the actors involved or could you share Ms. Oberon's impressions of any aspects of this production?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Moira,

I watched the picture on Friday night and thought it was pretty much dragged out; I really couldn't get too interested in anybody.
I do like Jean Simmons and Michael Rennie as a rule but was pretty bored with them here.
Merle Oberon wasn't really in it much; I thought I remembered more of her when viewed decades ago. She did have a couple of good scenes and then was gone.

As for her impressions of her fellow actors - she surprisingly was quite liked by everyone in Hollywood and seemed to enjoy everyone and was always the courdial 'M'lady' to everyone. She was divorced from Lucien Ballard by then - I really liked him!! - and had some doctor boyfriend now; but they parted soon afterward.
Soon, she left LA and moved to Mexico where she was pretty much the doyenne of International Society for 2 decades.. I loved her place in Acapulco - don't know what's become of it now. Princess Shams of Iran and her mother lived there later, but they both died soon after Merle - so now what???

As far as me - I did meet Marlon Brando, Jean Simmons and Stewart Granger but certainly never knew them at all.
I did meet Michael Rennie also, but knew him better, and not much better either, when he was with Lana Turner the next year in "The Rains of Ranchipur". And, I did know Lana very well - for years!!

Larry
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Thanks for sharing these wonderful memories, Larry. I had never seen Desiree before, but DVR'ed it and watched it on Saturday. It's the favorite film of one of my college friends. She's going to love hearing about your attendance at the premmiere. I enjoyed the film a great deal.

Desiree is said to be Merle Oberon's favorite film. She also appeared in Hotel with Michael Rennie.

Moira, I shall also admit to my crush on Michael Rennie! You heard it here first! :wink:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I admit to my crush on Agnes Moorehead! :wink: :lol: :P
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hello PT,

No kidding - you mean Theda Bara doesn't even enter into the equation - Ha, ha!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

My General Thoughts on TCM

I missed TCM of old 5 to 7 years ago - supposed to the TCM of what they have now. They repeat a lot of the same movies over and over again and matter of fact they started showing short clips of things that I have no interest in watching at all. I just find today's TCM an average movie site that should be the most premier movie site available. Because of poor choices of movies and all; I started watching Documentaries more than ever and Discovery Channel, Investigative Discovery, and others are getting my viewership over TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

"They don't seem to make my type of pictures anymore — the type that was termed 'drawing room' for lack of a better name." - Herbert Marshall, in an interview with the Los Angeles Times late in his career.

They may not make them anymore, dear Bart, but on Thursday, Jan. 19th, TCM has planned an appropriately understated mini-festival of movies featuring-- you!

No greats perhaps, such as The Little Foxes, Trouble in Paradise, or the almost unknown gem, Evenings for Sale, but a sterling collection of films that make fine use of his nuanced way with a line (infusing the most uninspired scripts with poetry) and giving us one more chance to be in the company of this good actor as we wonder what was the secret sadness that he carried inside him for his fifty+ years on stage and screen.(Personally, The Razor's Edge is a film I can never stop watching, not least for Marshall's deft characterization of Maugham).

Some answers may be forthcoming when SSO friend Scott O'Brien brings us his next biography, examining the life and times of Herbert Brough Falcon Marshall. Here's hoping it's soon!

Below are the films on Wednesday's schedule (all times shown are EST):

8:45 AM
WOMAN REBELS, A (1936)
A Victorian feminist has an illegitimate baby.
Dir: Mark Sandrich Cast: Katharine Hepburn , Herbert Marshall , Elizabeth Allen .
BW-88 mins, CC,

10:30 AM
OUTCAST LADY (1934)
A spoiled rich girl sacrifices her reputation to preserve her dead husband's memory.
Dir: Robert Z. Leonard Cast: Constance Bennett , Herbert Marshall , Mrs. Patrick Campbell
BW-77 mins,

12:00 PM
RIPTIDE (1934)
A chorus girl weds a British lord then falls for an old flame.
Dir: Edmund Goulding Cast: Norma Shearer , Robert Montgomery , Herbert Marshall .
BW-92 mins, CC,

1:45 PM
FLAME WITHIN, THE (1935)
A lady psychiatrist falls for a patient's husband.
Dir: Edmund Goulding Cast: Ann Harding , Herbert Marshall , Maureen O'Sullivan .
BW-72 mins, CC,

3:00 PM
MAKE WAY FOR A LADY (1936)
A widower's daughter plays matchmaker for her father.
Dir: David Burton Cast: Herbert Marshall , Anne Shirley , Gertrude Michael .
BW-65 mins,

4:15 PM
WOMAN AGAINST WOMAN (1938)
A divorcee decides she wants her husband back after he's re-married.
Dir: Robert B. Sinclair Cast: Herbert Marshall , Virginia Bruce , Mary Astor .
BW-61 mins,

5:30 PM
RAZOR'S EDGE, THE (1946)
A young man's quest for spiritual peace threatens his position in society.
Dir: Edmund Goulding Cast: Tyrone Power , Gene Tierney , John Payne .
BW-145 mins, CC,
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

This coming Friday January 27, TCM will feature a full day of programming in tribute to Debbie Reynolds:

6:00 AM It Started With A Kiss (1959)
7:45 AM Bundle of Joy (1956)
9:30 AM How the West Was Won (1962)
12:30 PM The Tender Trap (1955)
2:30 PM Hit The Deck (1955)
4:30 PM I Love Melvin (1953)
6:00 PM Singin' In the Rain (1952)
8:00 PM The Unsinkable Molly Brown (1964)
10:30 PM The Mating Game (1959)
12:30 AM The Catered Affair (1956)
2:15 AM The Singing Nun (1966)
4:00 AM How Sweet It Is (1968)

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1 ... -1-27.html

I think my favorite of all her films is How the West Was Won (but not for the obvious reason :wink: ).

EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Links to Turner Classic Movies for Bookmarking

Daily Schedules

TCM Daily Schedule
TCM Daily Schedule on Flixed

Monthly Schedules

TCM Monthly Schedule
TCM Monthly Schedule on Classic Film Review
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

EP Millstone wrote: November 26th, 2022, 9:16 pm Links to Turner Classic Movies for Bookmarking

Daily Schedules

TCM Daily Schedule
TCM Daily Schedule on Flixed

Monthly Schedules

TCM Monthly Schedule
TCM Monthly Schedule on Classic Film Review
Classic Film Review is basically linking to my monthly schedules. I post the monthly schedules as well as monthly overview summaries on my TCM schedule information page:

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

cmovieviewer wrote: December 1st, 2022, 10:18 pm
Classic Film Review is basically linking to my monthly schedules. I post the monthly schedules as well as monthly overview summaries on my TCM schedule information page:

For all you do, cmoviewer:

THANK YOU!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

EP Millstone wrote: December 1st, 2022, 11:55 pm
cmovieviewer wrote: December 1st, 2022, 10:18 pm

For all you do, cmoviewer:

THANK YOU!
You are quite welcome!
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

What happened to "Silent Sunday" ??
:?:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

ziggy6708a wrote: December 4th, 2022, 7:15 pm What happened to "Silent Sunday" ??
:?:
What was supposed to be on? I don't look at the schedules much anymore. I see that there's a silent scheduled for next Sunday, though.
Watching until the end.