Coming here for a Rest Cure

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
otterhere

Coming here for a Rest Cure

Post by otterhere »

You know; that respite from the everyday, workaday world or -- as it's known technically "life stressors"? Think Natalie Wood in SITG or Bette Davis in NV... Me, I'm dragging myself up out of the kiddie pool on TCM and settling into a nice chaise lounge to chat with the grownups; ahhh.

Pour me another Bahama Mama...

So who all's here (I see lots of familiar names)? Do any of you still get back in the ring on TCM, or have you washed your hands of it??? It gets worse every day but, darnit, I hate being run out of my own territory by children typing "u will like it" and praising BILL MURRAY... Not to mention the tireless Drama Blog rants which have nothing whatever to do with movies, much less classic movies.

How does this site work? The other one, to its credit, is alive and well (many, many, too many posts every day); does this see much action?

Thanks, all, and I may rest here awhile if it's okay with you... Er, "u"...
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Hi there.

Some of us still get back there but it seems like we have narrowed our involvement there. It's funny at times how some of us from here carry a conversation there when we could carry it here.

The activity varies and I have yet to figure out a pattern to it. We have quite a few people from around the world. They include Chile, England, Australia, Norway, Sweden, France and maybe one or two others I've left out. It certainly is varied. Also, we have great guests.

Not too many younger ones. Behavior is good. Hardly any dustups. There has only been one banned member in the 11 months this has been here.

I think you will find the conversation on a deeper level. (Some have thought it was too deep in the film world.) Differences of opinions are welcome as long as everyone is civil about it. Some share personal stories. We get along but that doesn't mean it's boring.

The member list will give you a sense of who posts among the 168 or so registered members. Some have joined and gone back to TCM. Not sure why. (See previous paragraph.) Not near as much traffic but the atmosphere is more satisfying. Ultimately, it's only as interesting as you find it. Take your time as you are sipping your beverage of choice, read some of the old threads. Ask questions if you want. PM some of the familiar names if you'd rather. But whatever you do, join in.

Thanks for coming back.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
otterhere

Post by otterhere »

Thanks, Chris. I guess I would number among those who have posted here, then gone back to TCM. I'd have to say that, in my case, it's more a "comfort level" thing. I'm used to that board, its format, and how it operates; it seems easier to 'read through" somehow? Plus, I consult the schedule there and, while I'm there, just have to see what's going on. However, as I stated, it's often not good or at least not worth my while. Hope to visit with some old friends here when I figure out how to do so!

otter from the trenches
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Otter,

There is definitely a lot less so-called "drama" here than at TCM City.

There are posters, like Chris, Moira, myself and some others that still check out TCM City very regularly.

And there are posters who only make the Oasis there home.

As the real film talk at TCM City moves more and more into the smaller forums like Filmmakers, Silents, Westerns, etc. I appreciate this site more and more as a haven to come to when I want to think and talk about the films I love and learn about them all.

Welcome back and we'll have another Bahama Mama sent over to you.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Hi Otter. I was "Jack Burley" over in TCM City. Jack is busy doing earthquake relief work now and never goes back. Your post reinforced my hesitancy to go back as you said it gets worse every day. And it was very, very bad when I left. The aptly named Oasis is my hang out now (even if I haven't had much time to do so lately). It's good to see you here.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hi Otterhere,

Good to "see" ya here! :wink:

When I first joined SSO I used to check the TCM Boards every now and then and even post sometimes, but now I log in there very, very seldom. I like this haven and its members. Besides I got totally used to this format, so now the TCM Boards seem strange to me now.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

If you want to talk movies, this is the place for it. We may not all be in our 50's or 60's, but we do all act like adults. There is no name calling, except in well known jest and you can always click out of a discussion that is too deep for you. Occasionally I feel like I should find Mr. Deeds home town and visit because I've become 'pixilated' by the technical talk concerning sizes and shapes of film screens (300 pixels or 3000 pixels - what ?!#??!).

One nicer aspect of SSO is we are not restricted to discussing TCM only. Here we have some active discussions about classic TV shows as well as movies, ie., we're not neglecting our host by discussing their 'rivals'. Due to that fact, some of our newer (or younger) members have learned about actors and actresses who are not featured on TCM, such as Tyrone Power, the recently late Richard Widmark, and others who are known on AMC and FOX because of the studios they worked with.

To make it easier to read the board, when you find a thread you want to read, go to the right side of the screen and click on the little white box, with the upper right hand corner turned down, next to the black arrow by the name of the last poster. Clicking on that white box will take you to the last post and then you can scroll backwards to find the beginning of the discussion.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
otterhere

Post by otterhere »

Ah, mrsl; I kept looking for you over on TCM -- in vain!!! Yes, it'll take me awhile to find my way around here (thanks for the helpful hints on navigating) and also to break my addiction to TCM since I do, at times, love a debate, but "oasis" sounds inviting at this point... Thanks, all!!!
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Sometimes I get fascinated that the 2 or 3 UserIDs who create 99% of the TCM posts and replies find those topics STILL interesting, and then I breathe again and realize, "I just don't care."

I enjoy the galleries, and that's about all. I am a horrible leecher of those pix, projecting them onto my office walls sometime, or using them for DVD labeling. Then I'll go back to WORTH1000.COM and have fun there, too.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Heya otter :P

I'm SPTO from the TCM boards. I go back there every once in a while, chime in with an opinion or two but this is my main hang out :D

I like to think of TCM as AC/DC and this play is more like Jimmy Buffett :)
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Bogie wrote: I like to think of TCM as AC/DC and this play is more like Jimmy Buffett :)
Good lord, that analogy is enough to make me want to start trouble myself.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Bogie wrote:Heya otter :P

I'm SPTO from the TCM boards. I go back there every once in a while, chime in with an opinion or two but this is my main hang out :D

I like to think of TCM as AC/DC and this play is more like Jimmy Buffett :)
Personally, I'll take AC/DC anyday.

[youtube][/youtube]
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

otterhere, I've made two round trips now. I'll try to stick around here from now on.

Pat
klondike

Post by klondike »

jondaris wrote:
Bogie wrote: I like to think of TCM as AC/DC and this play is more like Jimmy Buffett :)
Good lord, that analogy is enough to make me want to start trouble myself.
Easy, Boss - let me quench that spitfire glare in your eyes before you roll both your sleeves up - how about this for a re-spin:

SSO is more like Chris Izaak to the TCM Msg. Board's George Thoroughgood . . ?