Return of a Pain in the neck

Here's a spot to say "Hello!"
mrsl

Return of a Pain in the neck

Post by mrsl »

I've been away for so long that I'm not sure who is still contributing to this very much missed site. I was a very, very sick lady starting in March of 2016 and spent several months in various hospitals and re-habs. Just the name re-hab sounds funny to me, because re-hab always meant re-hab for drugs and alcohol, however, in my case it was due to heart trouble, pneumonia, suspicion of female parts problems, and one or two other little things along the way. During this time, one of the dipsy doctors told my kids that I should no longer live alone and should be moved into a place where I could get more 'up close' care. Now I'm in a assisted living hotel here on the North side of Chicago which is really just an old peoples home, but I'm still the same hard-a$$ I have always been and now am fully recovered after giving up my nice, beloved apartment where I lived for 11 happy years, in addition to most of my belongings like kitchen stuff, books, etc. not to mention furniture. Any way, this dump-house has ONLY Comcast cable, and since they take every dime I have as income, which includes my Soc. Sec., and pensions, and leave me a whopping $90.00 a month for personal expenses, I no longer get to watch TCM :cry: :cry: :cry: There are a couple of channels that show older movies, and often feature a single actor like Cary Grant, Richard Widmark, etc. So, folks, life goes on!!!! :P and I have to make the best of it.

Believe it or not, most of the people living here are older than my 72 but I haven't yet found a classic movie fan in the whole 418 inmates. (Where in the Hell am I?) I mentioned Randolph Scott the other day and four people said WHO??? Can you believe it??? So that's my sad story from last April to today, 5 days before my 72nd birthday. I realize I'm in the New Member thread, but I can't be sure if anyone out there even remembers me because we all know how people come and go hereabouts.

So, Happy New Year to all of you, and when I see discussions about the movies I especially love, like The Searchers, Ride the High Country, Executive Suite and so many others, I'll stick my nosey two cents in on your conversations like old times.

Love to all.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Masha

Re: Return of a Pain in the neck

Post by Masha »

I remember you very fondly as we are both lovers of: Sherlock.

I am sorry to hear of your health problems and enforced living site. I hope that you will recover quickly so that you may become independent again soon.

Having Internet access will allow you to watch Classic movies in a variety of ways.

There is: PlutoTV which is an on-line and streaming service with three channels dedicated to movies. My favorite is at: http://pluto.tv/guide/classic-movies-channel. They replay movies frequently and I have not as yet been able to determine any logic or reason in their choices or schedules but some of the movies are quite good. It is sad to say that they are interrupted by commercials but that is the peril of a free service. The url which I listed shows also the available schedule. I am sorry to say I have found no schedule for or by them beyond the few hours shown there.

A Roku device allows you to stream hundreds of channels directly to your television. Many channels are free and have a wide variety of Classic movies and television programs. There are no subscription fees for the Roku or many of the channels. The least expensive Roku device of which I am aware is approx. $30 but last week we were able to purchase one for $8 at a local pawn shop. I am happy to say that PBS is on Roku also and that is how I am watching the new series of: Sherlock.

I must warn you to not consider: Sling TV as it is highly touted by some but it requires a subscription fee and there are many complaints concerning the quality of the streaming and lack of customer service.

I wish you well and I hope very sincerely that: 2017 wipes away all the bad things which happened to you in: 2016!
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I hope you find some classic movie fans eventually! If not, we're still here. :) As Masha said, a Roku could be a great solution for you, if you have reliable high speed internet. There are also a large amount of old films on YouTube.

Welcome back, always glad to see more people posting. Feels like a graveyard sometimes.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Nice that you are back. Being a hard ass helped you beat those things. You keep going and keep looking for those fans. All the while remember we are here, maybe not as often but still here.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Glad you are back, Mrsl!
I hope you manage to find some classic film fans soon!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor