Hello from San Francisco

Here's a spot to say "Hello!"
Midge

Hello from San Francisco

Post by Midge »

Hi, I'm Midge, and I've just joined. I am a classic movie lover from San Francisco. I particularly love musicals of the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. I also collect classic movie star biographies and other books about the golden age of Hollywood. I am a retired TV studio crew technician, married with no children. I love opera, jazz, oldies, dining out, browsing in bookstores and word games. As a longtime lurker I have been very much impressed with the breadth of knowledge of the members on this site and now that I've joined, I hope I can make a contribution in my own small way.
Rita Hayworth

Re: Hello from San Francisco

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Welcome to the Forum ... Midge. We are :D to have you to join us :!:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi Midge! Come on in, the water's fine!!! Just jump in anywhere, we're always happy have one more. Moira, Lzcutter (Lynn) and Movieman1957 (Chris) are usually around to help. Klondike is, too. Glad you decided to join our merry little troupe.

Nancy
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Midge,

Welcome to our little Oasis! We have a couple of posters here who are in the Bay Area (looks around for MoraldiRubini, rudyfan, countessdelave, Dewey and Jezebel) so hopefully, they will see this thread and join the party. We got together at the Silent Film Festival a few weeks back, some of us already have tickets for next year's screening of Napoleon, we go to the Roxie to see Dewey's terrific tributes to film noir, we occasionally plan jaunts down to the Stanford to see double features (and listen to the mighty Wurlitzer) and partake of the Creamery's coconut cream cake and a couple of us make the yearly jaunt down to (my real home, I'm an interloper up here) the City of Angels for the TCM Film Festival.

So, hopefully, you will be able to join us in some of our movie going experiences!

The Oasis is filled with terrific people who love to talk about films, directors, stars, writers and everything else film related so have a look around and always feel free to join the conversation or start one!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I've only visited your lovely city once. But when I see it in a movie, I recognize it instantly! No other city is so unique in its character and appearance. Occasionally, I'm wrong. It turns out to be some other town that has streetcars rolling up and down steep hills! But more often than not, a minute or two of footage tells you we're in Tony Bennett's favorite cardiac unit!

I love to walk through cities and neighborhoods. One of my greatest walks ever was through Chinatown, along the North Beach area (I think that's right), Columbus Street came into the picture, across the bridge and back. They wouldn't let me on the Alcatraz tour bus!

It's great to have you join us, Midge! I'm new here myself, and it's a lot of fun.

Red River
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for joining and taking the time to introduce yourself. I think you will find many musical, jazz and opera fans among us, as well as friendly people who love to share our enthusiasm for classic films. I envy you living in such a lovely part of the world--and one that seems to produce so many delightful cineastes.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Midge

Post by Midge »

Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody! ("Tony Bennett's favorite cardiac unit," that's a good one, Red River! :D ) Also thanks for the tip about the Creamery's coconut cream cake, Lynn. I definitely need to check that out. I missed the Silent Movie Festival at the Castro this year, but maybe next year I'll meet up with some of you.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

maybe next year I'll meet up with some of you.
Midge,

I'm sure once Moraldo chimes in, he will have ideas about double features at the Stanford or when Dewey posts his next noir fest at the Roxie in September, we will hopefully have a chance to meet you before next summer.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Midge

Post by Midge »

Great! It would be fun to meet the other Bay Area members.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's always nice to welcome another member Midge, I hope you enjoy it here :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin