HOLLYWOOD'S HISPANIC HERITAGE BLOGATHON - OCT. 11-12

Know About an Upcoming Blogathon? Post it here--
CineMaven

HOLLYWOOD'S HISPANIC HERITAGE BLOGATHON - OCT. 11-12

Post by CineMaven »

“HOLLYWOOD’S HISPANIC HERITAGE BLOGATHON”

Hollywood’s Hispanic Heritage Blogathon - October 11-12, 2014, will be hosted by Once Upon a Screen and Movie Star Makeover where participants will laud the contributions of Latino performers in classic films...and beyond. Read about such stars as Katy Jurado, Anthony Quinn, Rita Hayworth, Thomas Gomez, Carmen Miranda, Cantinflas and many more.

I’m also proud as punch to point out that a couple of familiar denizens of the SSO will also participate in this blogathon as well:

( * ) FEAITO will extoll the virtues of the exquisite DOLORES DEL RIO.

( * ) JACK FAVELL will write about the heart and soul of PEDRO ARMENDARIZ.

( * ) SUE SUE APPLEGATE will cover the dashing and devilishly suave charms of CESAR ROMERO.

( * ) And yours truly CINEMAVEN will tackle the harrowing and jaw-dropping 1949 film “BORDER INCIDENT” featuring RICARDO MONTALBAN very early in his career.

The actual blogathon will start next weekend, but Once Upon a Screen decided to let some of us get ahead of the line with our posts. First up, Feaito and Dolores Del Rio. You know the deal, click on the photo to read. My gosh, she's so beautiful:

"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Re: HOLLYWOOD'S HISPANIC HERITAGE BLOGATHON - OCT. 11-12

Post by JackFavell »

It's a wonderful piece, Fernando! You've made me want to watch Miss Del Rio with new eyes. I think a little trip to the golden age of Mexican cinema is called for. :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hello Fernando – What a wonderful tribute you gave Dolores Del Río, arguably one of the most beautiful women EVER on screen. ( Breathtaking! ) It’s so interesting that though some didn’t make it into the talkies because of their accents, others did…and others STILL were “typed” even though they carved successful careers for themselves: Conrad Veidt, Paul Henreid, Dietrich, Garbo, Marcel Dalio, even S.Z.”Cuddles” Sakall, and others. I was also struck by your brief biographical info, and especially touched when you say, “…feeling at home in the USA in the world of ‘Classic Hollywood’, because in my country I felt a foreigner.” Wow! Powerful. I can relate to that even within the Latino community as an Afro-Latina. I am LOVING that its CLASSIC FILMS that is the common thread that brings so many diverse groups of people together. Great writing Fedo. You’ve piqued my interest in this once famous and always glamorous star!

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

“Whew! Just look at this guy! Those full sensitive lips, the clear gaze and long eyelashes….. who wouldn’t line up at the movie theater to watch him, even if he only stood there and looked pretty?”

This is just the first lines of Jack Favell's wonderful piece on the great PEDRO ARMENDARIZ for the upcoming Hollywood's Hispanic Heritage Blogaton. Click here to read about Armendariz's life and illustrious performances.

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I got the chance to participate in the "HOLLYWOOD'S HISPANIC HERITAGE BLOGATHON" along with my partners-in-crime here at the Oasis. If you get a chance, check out my review of "BORDER INCIDENT." Whew! I felt like I was crossing the border. Tomorrow, the blog will be live with other great writers posting about Latino stars featured in films in Hollywood's heyday. Give it all a look