Banned for Trolling

Having problems? Get help here.
Lomm
Administrator

Re: Banned for Trolling

Post by Lomm »

I think this was due to previous settings on the board banning IP addresses (and not users by username). I have cleared out ALL of the banned IP list now. Hopefully this resolves the issue. What happens is that your internet providers reuse IP addresses, i.e., you don't always have the same one. So if you are on the same provider as someone who was previously banned by IP, and you get that IP, you are banned! Sorry about this situation. If anyone still sees this happening after today please PM me. I haven't had nearly enough time lately to visit as much as I'd like, but I do check my PMs daily.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 7:28 pm
LostHorizons wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 7:26 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 6:27 pm Yes. It happened to me, to Lorna, to Andree, to Masha, and to Hibi. And Hibi left because of it.
Are you assuming that or did Hibi make some comment stating that in explicit terms?
Yes, Hibi said it on this page....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7125&start=3870
I didn't mean to imply I was leaving for good. Just that I was leaving until it was fixed. We'll see how today goes. I had just posted a long reply to something, only to see it disappear because I was "banned". Let's see if this posts.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LostHorizons wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 9:40 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 7:28 pm
LostHorizons wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 7:26 pm

Are you assuming that or did Hibi make some comment stating that in explicit terms?
Yes, Hibi said it on this page....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7125&start=3870
Well, I doubt she is gone for good. She will be back once they sort out the glitch.
Right! LOL.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I was recently sent a notification that a thread I posted in, the final post, was locked. Assumed Lomm was doing some housekeeping. Wondering if there's a connection?
For the record, I'm a guy, but used a beautiful female image for a while as my avatar. <grin>
I know speedracer5 is a lady. I called her "him" on the TCM forum.
Any other mysteries out there in SSO Land?
I suppose it is only a coincidence MeTV has been down on my cable since yesterday morning.
The post about TB is spot on.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Lomm wrote: June 4th, 2024, 7:05 am I think this was due to previous settings on the board banning IP addresses (and not users by username). I have cleared out ALL of the banned IP list now. Hopefully this resolves the issue. What happens is that your internet providers reuse IP addresses, i.e., you don't always have the same one. So if you are on the same provider as someone who was previously banned by IP, and you get that IP, you are banned! Sorry about this situation. If anyone still sees this happening after today please PM me. I haven't had nearly enough time lately to visit as much as I'd like, but I do check my PMs daily.
Thank you. Have no idea what my IP address is. Hopefully it is fixed.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

jimimac71 wrote: June 4th, 2024, 10:45 am I was recently sent a notification that a thread I posted in, the final post, was locked. Assumed Lomm was doing some housekeeping. Wondering if there's a connection?
For the record, I'm a guy, but used a beautiful female image for a while as my avatar. <grin>
I suppose it is only a coincidence MeTV has been down on my cable since yesterday morning.
I am not responsible for MeTV (yet). :lol: Can you remember what thread was locked? I haven't locked anything recently, but another mod may have for some reason.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

MeTV has resumed operation. It is a not so big TV channel in the SF Bay Area.
The channel may have been down.
Here is a screenshot of the notification from you:
Posts for Peebs.jpg
Posts for Peebs.jpg (6.78 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

KayFrancis wrote: June 4th, 2024, 6:35 am Yes Hibi is female. She had a funny thread on our TCM site about George Brent ( her aviator)
Only in The Great Lie and Living on Velvet.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

Lomm wrote: June 4th, 2024, 7:05 am I think this was due to previous settings on the board banning IP addresses (and not users by username). I have cleared out ALL of the banned IP list now. Hopefully this resolves the issue. What happens is that your internet providers reuse IP addresses, i.e., you don't always have the same one. So if you are on the same provider as someone who was previously banned by IP, and you get that IP, you are banned! Sorry about this situation. If anyone still sees this happening after today please PM me. I haven't had nearly enough time lately to visit as much as I'd like, but I do check my PMs daily.
Simply clicking "Like" for this post struck me as being insufficient. Thanks, Lomm, for all you do here!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LiamCasey wrote: June 4th, 2024, 7:30 pm
Simply clicking "Like" for this post struck me as being insufficient. Thanks, Lomm, for all you do here!
Perhaps we need a "LOVE" icon? :)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: June 4th, 2024, 7:55 pm
LiamCasey wrote: June 4th, 2024, 7:30 pm
Perhaps we need a "LOVE" icon? :)
Perhaps not, we don't want to get too sappy. :) Although in this case, much deserved. I was spared the anguish of being faux-banned and I now I feel I will be forever exempt, and from the other kind too. At least, I hope.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Hasn't happened to me..., but I have not logged out since I joined...
I don't know how to start a new thread.
I don't know that I have a good guess what my password might be.
I had a bad experience around St Patrick's Day in 2022 with TopBilled. He jumped on me for correcting a thread title to the OP. I wrote to him about what seemed an unfair over-reaction. He was polite. I responded with info about a hospital stay where I'd spent much time thinking about the sting.
Wah-rong. :lol:
Marysara1

Post by Marysara1 »

jimimac71 wrote: June 4th, 2024, 10:45 am I was recently sent a notification that a thread I posted in, the final post, was locked. Assumed Lomm was doing some housekeeping. Wondering if there's a connection?
Wasn't Speed Racer the one who joked she was Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a previous life?
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Marysara wrote
Wasn't Speed Racer the one who joked she was Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a previous life?

Yes
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

jimimac71 wrote: June 4th, 2024, 12:35 pm MeTV has resumed operation. It is a not so big TV channel in the SF Bay Area.
The channel may have been down.
Here is a screenshot of the notification from you:
Posts for Peebs.jpg
Ah ok, it was locked by me, but not recently, unless November of last year counts as recent. :) I think there was too much bickering going on, or someone complained. Thankfully the bickering and complaints have pretty much died down and everyone seems to be settling in. As long as they aren't getting banned every day!