What recent films have you seen?

Lzcutter
Administrator

What recent films have you seen?

Post by Lzcutter »

This is the place to talk about modern films you have seen!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Rita Hayworth

Re: What recent films have you seen?

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I saw American Sniper that starred Bradley Cooper - as U.S. Navy SEAL Chris Kyle that takes his sole mission -- protect his comrades -- to heart and becomes one of the most lethal snipers in American history.

I saw that two weeks ago and I could not believe that Chris Kyle served 4 tours of duty in Iraq. However, when he finally returns home, he finds that he cannot leave the war alone and that's led to tragedy.

A powerful, gripping, lifelike, and downright real as it's can be and it was masterfully directed by Clint Eastwood.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Predestination - Ethan Hawke in a really offbeat time travel movie that is definitely not for everyone. I thought it was a little too weird. :lol:

Wild - Reese Witherspoon stars as a woman who takes time off from her life to get away from it all and hike the pacific trail and discover herself along the way. I really enjoyed this one.

Grand Budapest Hotel - another not for everyone film, very quirky and strange. I loved it, my mom hated it. :)

Birdman - Michael Keaton plays as essentially himself as a has-been former superhero film star. Massive ego-stroking insider film that is a Hollywood darling. I thought it was just ok. Entertaining enough, but a little pretentious.

Chappie - a long Die Antwoord (South African band who also star in the film) music video with lots of robots, cursing, and shooting. There's almost a good movie in there, but it lacks real heart, which is a shame.

I haven't seen very many movies this year, but plan to get to most of the best picture nominees. Mostly I wait for home release unless it's a big spectacle like the next Marvel or Star Wars movie. Weird to think those are both Disney now. I'll also see Jurassic World and maybe Terminator Genesys in theaters. I like the "small" movies, but not worth paying big screen prices.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I had opted not to see Predestination because the premise sounded similar to the Steven Spielberg film Minority Report -- to stop crimes and arrest the would-be perpetrators before they occur. The main difference would seem to be that the newer film employs time travel, while Spielberg's used 'precogs' who could predict the future. Well, I might give Predestination a try yet.

I enjoyed Reese Witherspoon's turn in Wild, and found it interesting to watch a young woman take on such a challenge alone. I didn't find it too engaging, though -- if she had bonded more with nature or with people met along the way, then it might have been more compelling.

Grand Budapest Hotel was not to my liking at all. It was clever and well-made, but I didn't care anything for the characters nor for the story itself.

I agree with Lomm on Birdman, and would add that those loathsome characters in horrid situations, flung about so much foul language that I felt I needed a HAZMAT suit. It was difficult to get through this one, but I sat through it twice trying to see what so many people were raving about. To me, the only level on which it succeeded was a self-defeating one. They illuminated the process of acting so well that all the performances became just that -- performances. I couldn't get beyond the acting to see and hear the characters themselves.

I'll pass on Chappie; doesn't sound of interest to me.

I did see American Sniper but didn't care for it at all in terms of characters, story, or all the violence. I used to enjoy Clint Eastwood as a director very much, but since Million Dollar Baby the only one of his films I've truly enjoyed has been Jersey Boys, which was quite a departure from his usual.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Predestination is nothing like Minority Report, believe me. :) Without completely spoiling it, I can't say any more.

No, I don't think very many people will find Chappie to be of interest. Better to watch one of the director's earlier films, District 9, which is excellent.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I've watched Predestination this evening. True, it is nothing like Minority Report. In fact, I'm rather confused as to what happened, or didn't happen. A second viewing would be in order.

Oh, District 9 is a fabulous picture. It's been quite a while since last I viewed it, but I've seen it a few times. It's a wonderful bit of science fiction.
Masha

Post by Masha »

I have watched now: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) and: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002). The last movie in the trilogy is on the DVR but it is doubtful that I shall watch it.

I have long avoided the movies because I love the novels so very much and I knew that much would be lost in translating them to the screen. It is of importance to me also that I had seen trailers and advertisements for them and the orcs depicted are cute and cuddly when compared to mental images I have of them from the novels.

There is other significant lack in the movies. It is as if they were deliberate in removing every subtle reference to characterizations. This was not done for time-saving nor because of differences between text and image. I can best use as example when Gandalf and his companions are to enter to meet Theoden. There is much talk and then their weapons are taken from them. To remain true to the novel would have been to have them set aside their weapons. It spoke greatly of Gimli's nature that he would leave his axe if it rested with such noble other weapons. Changing of these facets neither saved time nor was more visually compelling.

I expected to be disappointed slightly by watching these movies. It is sad to say that I was wrong because it has ended with me being disappointed greatly.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Masha wrote:I have watched now: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) and: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002). The last movie in the trilogy is on the DVR but it is doubtful that I shall watch it.

I have long avoided the movies because I love the novels so very much and I knew that much would be lost in translating them to the screen. It is of importance to me also that I had seen trailers and advertisements for them and the orcs depicted are cute and cuddly when compared to mental images I have of them from the novels.

There is other significant lack in the movies. It is as if they were deliberate in removing every subtle reference to characterizations. This was not done for time-saving nor because of differences between text and image. I can best use as example when Gandalf and his companions are to enter to meet Theoden. There is much talk and then their weapons are taken from them. To remain true to the novel would have been to have them set aside their weapons. It spoke greatly of Gimli's nature that he would leave his axe if it rested with such noble other weapons. Changing of these facets neither saved time nor was more visually compelling.

I expected to be disappointed slightly by watching these movies. It is sad to say that I was wrong because it has ended with me being disappointed greatly.
While I can agree with the sentiment, for me they got so much right in these movies that I am able to overlook a lot of the changes, other than the most grievous ones. Still hate the whole idea of Elves at Helm's Deep. I hate Treebeard saying no. Other little things I can get around. I don't like that there is no scouring of the Shire, but I understand why they left that out, because it would have made for a REALLY long film.

If you have the stomach for it, I'd recommend trying the Extended Editions, which add a lot of content from the books back into the films. I know I liked them a lot more. But probably not for you, if you disliked them that much. :)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Just so everyone knows, when I talk about recent movies, I'm also talking about movies from the 80's and 90's, and sometimes sooner. I can't get to the movie theater itself, so I have to wait until it comes to the movie channels on my TV cable-type system. I've thought about going to Netflix but then I would lose all of my deductions for my bundling, my age, and lots of other things. I also have my phone and internet bundled into my total bill, so adding another $8.99 or so a month would be kind of stupid on my part, especially considering I get all the movie channels now.

Right now I'm making up notes on movies I've seen recently so when I'm ready, I will set them out here.

Thank you Lynn!
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I consider pre-1990 no longer "recent", but then I think about Jurassic Park being over 20 years ago and think I should bump it up to 2000. :(
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

We really enjoyed Grand Budeapest Hotel. We also really liked The Imitation Game and I thought Benedict Cumberbatch gave an incredible performance. American Sniper was another one that really resonated with us. MrCutter enjoyed The Theory of Everything much more than I did- I thought it was a well done disease of the week film while he found it his favorite film from last year.

This year, our favorite film so far is Kingsman: The Secret Service which we both absolutely loved and found hysterically funny in parts. Colin Firth is great as the secret agent and surprisingly up to the very physical demands of the role, Sam Jackson has a great deal of fun with his role and I didn't recognize Mark Hamill at all. I thought he was the guy who played Mad-Eye Moody in the Harry Potter films.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I may be one of the few people on earth that has not seen a complete installment of "Lord of The Rings." My daughter tried to get to me to watch the first one once. I was so confused by the end of the first hour I gave up. I have not ventured back.

Maybe I was having an "idiot" night but I couldn't keep up with the people and what they were trying to do. It reminded me a great deal of my reaction to "Pirates of The Caribbean." I thought that we finally had a fun old fashioned pirate movie. (I didn't know anything of the background.) I was having a right good time until the ghosts showed up. Then I uttered something to myself that I cannot repeat here.

The worst reaction to film I ever had was "The Great Gatsby." The visuals on that one gave me a headache so bad I had to sit out the rest of the movie.

But, alas. I have taken us off course. Sorry.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The only current movie I've seen recently was Paddington (2014), which was a delight, with seamlessly blended animation and live action. Hugh Bonneville of Downton Abbey fame was one of the recognizable British character actors in the movie. To truly enjoy this film it probably helps to have a nine and a three year old with you as I was fortunate enough to have during this excursion. Wonderful to see it all through their eyes.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Movieman, you and I were separated at birth! I did make it through the first LOTR. Nothing about it inspired a return of this king! I know this is considered sacrilege among fans. I just didn't find it interesting. "But the book is so good!" So was the steak I had for dinner. One doesn't have anything to do with the other.

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN is educational. It taught me I have NO IDEA what modern action films are going for! Suspense? Whimsy? Certainly not clarity. Even the great Johnny Depp appears to be sleepwalking. On his way to an impressive paycheck, no doubt. But still...

That these two movies were such HUGE successes tells me a lot. My tastes simply haven't evolved with the times. LOTR has a certain elegance, a fantastic quality. I understand the appeal. "Pirates" has nothing to offer. I didn't like that one at all.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

:)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."