Kay Francis Bio's

Read any good books lately?
ken123

Kay Francis Bio's

Post by ken123 »

The almost now forgotten leading lady of 1930's Warner's pic has to recent Bio's that I own. Kay Francis : I Can't Wait to be Forgotten by Scott O'Brien, and A Passionate Life and Career; Kay Francis by Lynn Kear and John Rossman. Both Rate ***1/2
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

I own both of those as well. Kay Francis is a favorite of mine - to me, she's like a symbol of the 1930's - I always loved her clothes and those beautiful sets she used for her apartments in some of her films.

I have read bits and pieces of both books - maybe about half of each...and I have to say, Kay had a very unusual life.

I'm a bit saddened by the description of her last few years...but I'm quite pleased that these books are finally in my possession!

I LOVE Kay!
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I have the O'Brien book which was released first. It's a decent read, although people i respect have claimed that it's the lesser of the two. I'll pick up the other one eventually.

Kay was soooooo sexy, and was the kind of smart, independent woman that just makes me go crazy. I like everything about her.
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

On the Kay Francis message board at IMDb are some fascinating discussions of these books and Francis' life.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0290215/board
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Ayres wrote:On the Kay Francis message board at IMDb are some fascinating discussions of these books and Francis' life.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0290215/board
Ayres,
Thank You for that link . :wink:
Shonna

Kay Francis

Post by Shonna »

Thank you Ken for both of the book titles. I have been trying to find Biographies on Kay Francis! I did check the library a couple of months ago and they did not have any. I will check again though. I think she was just awesome!!!
feaito

Post by feaito »

I finished reading "Kay Francis- A Passionate Life & Career". A good book which is more focused on Kay's private life than on her career. Sometimes it gets somewhat episodic and since the writers chose to make constant references to their sources via notes, it got a little bit tiring, because I had to stop reading the book and go at the end to read the notes, which had different degrees of interest to me, but I had to read them all; so I was all the time, back and forward.

The writers had access to Kay's private diaries, so everything they wrote about her private life was taken from her own writings. I have read that the other biography "I Can't Wait to Be Forgotten" is focused more on her career. I'd like to read that one too. Another thing: there is no much information about Kay's life between 1953-1968, because she stopped writing her diary in December 1953.

Miss Francis made mistakes in her life, like all human beings, but what surprised me the most was to discover that she was basically a down-to-earth, quite practical woman, who was very different from her clotheshorse image; in fact she liked to dress in a very casual, simple way in her private life and did not care for limousines, spending lots of money in eccentricities, etc. I felt sorry for her, because she never had a really fulfilling sentimental relationship.