Christmas Books

Read any good books lately?
moira finnie
Administrator

Christmas Books

Post by moira finnie »

Dear Santa,
I think that I have been a very good girl this year, though perhaps you should overlook some of my more sarcastic comments sprinkled liberally throughout my posts. If you could possibly agree with this claim, could you please see your way to dropping one of those 5 pound copies of Peter Kobel's Silent Movies: The Birth of Film and the Triumph of Movie Culture down my chimney? I promise to be an even better kid in the coming new year if you could see your way to complying with this request. After all, it's not like the time I wished intensely for such impractical items as a Shetland Pony and Newfoundland Dog lo, those many years ago.

And please don't think I'm bitter about those disappointments. It's simply that I just got back from the book store and cannot get the 400 Library of Congress illustrations in this book (some of which have never been published before), and Mr. Kobel's intriguing text out of my mind.

I hope that other posters might use this spot to mention film books that they've come across to consider giving to others or receiving this year.
Cordially,
moira
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Dear Santa, You don't have to stop by my house. I found a couple of really good books at the used bookstore this weekend:

http://tinyurl.com/2jsv23

http://tinyurl.com/2tnz3a

You are welcome as always, but I am eating the cookies (and please ring the doorbell!).

Mr. A
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Another book that would be welcome under almost any movie-mad boy or girl's Christmas tree has come to my attention: American Movie Critics: An Anthology From the Silents Until Now, edited by Philip Lopate, which selects some of the great writers who used to turn their hand to an examination of the moving image--all apparently without feeling that they were slumming--from poet Vachel Lindsay to playwright Robert E. Sherwood to novelist and essayist James Baldwin and more recent contributors. After a glance at this one, it makes one wonder if the movies began to deteriorate around the same time that "serious" writers began to regard film criticism as beneath them? It also seems to be difficult to stop reading!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I hope you all got the books you wanted for Christmas. I got the Silent Movie Book mentioned, it's very good. Father Christmas also brought 3 books by Jeffrey Vance one each on Chaplin, Lloyd and Keaton. Also a book entitled Marlene Dietrich Photographs and Memories.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hello again, Charlie. Could you tell us in what part of Great Britain you are located? One of our newest posters, Dawtrina, is originally from England. He has relocated to Arizona, and is experiencing culture/climate shock, I believe.

Thanks!
Nancy
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Hi, sorry I missed this post before, I'm still getting used to finding my way around the forum. I'm from Lancashire in the North West of England. I would have thought the biggest difference would be the climate. He's welcome to contact me via the forum.