Who Still Needs a Biography?

Read any good books lately?
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Who Still Needs a Biography?

Post by moira finnie »

Have you read The Casablanca Man: The Cinema of Michael Curtiz by James Robertson, published in 1993? That's the only other bio I know of for Curtiz, but, according to others, it gives short shrift to the man's complex life to concentrate only on the films. I have read many excerpts in Google Books, but was never eager to spend money on it due to the dryness of the prose. I just wonder if I am missing something.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Has anybody heard about this new biography of Beverly Garland?
Just read about it over at the TCM website books nook.

Beverly Garland: Her Life and Career
Aptly named "Television's First Lady" by Walter Ames of the Los Angeles Times, actress Beverly Garland (1926-2008) is also regarded as a Western and science-fiction film icon. Beverly was TV's first "police woman" in the landmark series Decoy, and was seen in starring or recurring roles in such popular shows as My Three Sons and Scarecrow and Mrs. King. In addition to more than 700 television appearances, she made more than 55 feature and made-for-television films including the cult classics Not of This Earth, It Conquered the World and The Alligator People.

Working with such mega-names as Sinatra, Bogart, and Bing Crosby, Beverly Garland had fascinating stories to tell about all of them and many, many more. Beverly Garland: Her Life and Career (McFarland) by Deborah Del Vecchio is a comprehensive biography of of the actress and includes a foreword and afterword by her colleagues Joseph Campanella and Peggy Webber.

About the Author
Deborah Del Vecchio is a freelance writer in New Jersey.

Beverly Garland: Her Life and Career will be available from most major booksellers later this summer.

Moira and Lynn, I am also anticipating that Michael Curtiz biography!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Beverly Garland: Her Life and Career

I will definitely check this book out ... Everyone, she is so underrated as an actress and I felt that she never, ever got the recognition that she deserve. I consider her one of the many pioneers (as an actress) in the world of television and she also had a good career making movies too. I just don't quite understand that she wasn't popular in the general mainstream in the America.

When, I talk about her in my family, friends, people that I work (I'm retired now) with, and among others ... many of them consider her a nobody and that hurts me deeply. I like her a lot and being deaf and hard of hearing ... I understand her on television and in movies because she one of those rare actress(es) that can speak so well on screen whether its on the tube or the silver screen.

I glad Sue Sue brought it up ... and I will be reading this book when I check it out at my local library.

I love Beverly Garland. She is one of my favorites.