Olivia de Havilland's autobio May 4?

Read any good books lately?
srowley75

Olivia de Havilland's autobio May 4?

Post by srowley75 »

According to Amazon.com, Now is the Time will be coming to us from HarperCollins on May 4.

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Time-Olivia-H ... 449&sr=1-1

-Stephen
MissGoddess

Re: Olivia de Havilland's autobio May 4?

Post by MissGoddess »

What!!!?? I can't believe this really is coming to be?? I thought she'd dropped plans to publish her memoirs---Oh my goodness, this is the most exciting book news I've had in the longest time. And perfect timing in a way---Gone with the Wind is 70 years old in 2009.

Ohhhhh, how I wish TCM could get her for a Private Screenings.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'll have to save my birthday money for that one. I'm really looking forward to what she has to say about Errol Flynn.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're not kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been WAITING for this book since I met her in 1976-77 at the Vitaphone Theatre in Saratoga after a screening of Adventures of Robin Hood and she mentioned she was writing it. I thought, perhaps, she was going to wait to leave this planet before the book would be published!

AWESOME, this is going to be pre-ordered and will be a MUST read!

You totally made my day today (and I totally needed cheering up) :D
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

rudyfan wrote: I met her in 1976-77 at the Vitaphone Theatre in Saratoga after a screening of Adventures of Robin Hood
Rudyfan - The Vitaphone was my old stomping grounds back in the day, where I saw most of the classic films on the big screen for the first time. However, I don't recall hearing about OdH making an appearance there, do you remember what time of year this was (I know, ancient history)? I must have been out of town on vacation - lucky you!
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Jezebel38 wrote:
rudyfan wrote: I met her in 1976-77 at the Vitaphone Theatre in Saratoga after a screening of Adventures of Robin Hood
Rudyfan - The Vitaphone was my old stomping grounds back in the day, where I saw most of the classic films on the big screen for the first time. However, I don't recall hearing about OdH making an appearance there, do you remember what time of year this was (I know, ancient history)? I must have been out of town on vacation - lucky you!

Hiya

I loved the Vitaphone and worked there for a while, I loved Pat & Vi. But we parted as employee and employer, I was much more interested in seeing the films than selling popcorn and hot dogs. I was still very much welcome twice a week, once for the regular screening and on Tuesdays for rare film night. I will never forget my first experience seeing a real 3 strip technicolor print from a negative. Hanging out with Pat in the projection booth was a treat, and then being invited to their apartment upstairs over the hall for grilled cheese sandwiches and movie talk. Also loved their dog, the host, Pepperoni, a black scottie (who was an ancient marriner by this time).

This was probably 1976-77 right around the time they dedicated the outdoor stage to de Havilland's mother Lillian at Villa Montalvo. She came for the dedication. The Vitaphone showed AoRH and she made an appearance.

How WONDERFUL to find another soul who has fond memories of the Vitaphone, I still miss it.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

According to the Amazon.com page, the book has been pushed back to July 2010.

I've done several searches and still can't find anything "official" to confirm the date. Anyway, looks like we're in for a longer wait.

-Stephen
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Oh no, lets hope it's published in her lifetime, or in mine because I'd love to read it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Oh no, lets hope it's published in her lifetime, or in mine because I'd love to read it.
Ditto that.

Thanks for keeping us posted.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I just hope an explanation of the "feud" between her & her sister is included. Inquiring minds want to know what could have been so awful :evil:
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

TikiSoo wrote:I just hope an explanation of the "feud" between her & her sister is included. Inquiring minds want to know what could have been so awful :evil:
It's my understanding that their mother was behind some of it. I think a lot of the trouble is that they're more alike than they'd care to admit. In real life both seem rather austere and uptight, though in interviews they can be pleasant. From the brief anecdotes I've heard, if I'd known both personally, I don't think I could've withstood either of them, despite the fact that I love certain of their films.