Noir Alley on TCM

ElCid

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by ElCid »

Well I guess my hopes to consolidate all the Noir Alley discussions in one place didn't work. Seems the Noir Alley thread under the TCM section is not as popular as this one.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

ElCid wrote: December 10th, 2022, 11:35 am Well I guess my hopes to consolidate all the Noir Alley discussions in one place didn't work. Seems the Noir Alley thread under the TCM section is not as popular as this one.
Au contraire!

IMO, Noir Alley fans should be posting their NA-related topics in Noir Alley instead of in Noir Alley on TCM. Give your new topic a title such as Walk Softly, Stranger.

My two cents.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Please discuss Noir Alley topics on NOIR ALLEY.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

ElCid wrote: December 10th, 2022, 11:35 am Well I guess my hopes to consolidate all the Noir Alley discussions in one place didn't work. Seems the Noir Alley thread under the TCM section is not as popular as this one.
Hey cid, off topic but I never realized that car was a DeSoto Fireflite. The movie “The Cars That Ate Paris” features one of those in a prominent role but its rear end is completely totaled near the end.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

EP Millstone wrote: December 10th, 2022, 5:05 pm Please discuss Noir Alley topics on NOIR ALLEY.
Thank you. That's where I posted my comment for today.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

LostHorizons wrote: December 11th, 2022, 1:45 am
Hey cid, off topic but I never realized that car was a DeSoto Fireflite. The movie “The Cars That Ate Paris” features one of those in a prominent role but its rear end is completely totaled near the end.
Car has not always been a '58, but has been for last year.
BTW, best place to try and corral Noir Alley discussions is under Noir Alley sub-section on the TCM section on the Board Index. That is where I placed my discussion today.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

was "mr6666" @ TCM
laffite

Post by laffite »

I have a few comments about Don't Bother to Knock but before I do that I need to open the blinds and have a look. You never know, something strange might happen. Why maybe ... but no ... that never happens to me.

A nifty little story, I liked the way the two elements of the story dovetailed each other. Anne Bancroft in her debut, was very breezy and cool, though miffed. I love that look on her face and the growing disbelief of what she hearing when Jed was telling a story. Did you notice that oval shaped mouth while he was talking? She looked appropriately in disbelief. She looked like an emoticon.

Widmark was good having to show two sides. Very amusing to see him giving up the easy mark as he sees a cooky and fragile thing and who doesn't make sense. And the way he got through to her.

I have seen this twice before and I didn't realize that Nell was so off the deep end. But that look we got when she was looking in the mirror, preening with jewelry A glimpse of the real Marilyn? I wonder how many takes it took to accomplish that final scene. Marilyn was fantastic there. That depleted look on her face, the body language, the turning away from (Anne), the way she said "...somebody entirely else." the way she surrendered the razor, even the elegant way she took the policeman's hand to be led away.>weep<
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Hoganman1

Post by Hoganman1 »

While the film is not a noir, I found it very compelling. Monroe was fantastic as a troubled young woman spiraling deeper into mental illness. Widmark was great too. Watching his transformation from a self absorbed cynic to someone capable of compassion was amazing and quite different from many of his previous roles. Though I was expecting something different, DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK was very entertaining.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

I thought these two threads had been combined into one?
Maybe Lomm can fix it when he gets a chance. Maybe close one?
laffite

Post by laffite »

I posted on this one but checked the other one and thought it has disappeared. This Noir Alley situation is MESS.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

laffite wrote: January 8th, 2023, 2:51 am I have a few comments about Don't Bother to Knock but before I do that I need to open the blinds and have a look. You never know, something strange might happen. Why maybe ... but no ... that never happens to me.

A nifty little story, I liked the way the two elements of the story dovetailed each other. Anne Bancroft in her debut, was very breezy and cool, though miffed. I love that look on her face and the growing disbelief of what she hearing when Jed was telling a story. Did you notice that oval shaped mouth while he was talking? She looked appropriately in disbelief. She looked like an emoticon.

Widmark was good having to show two sides. Very amusing to see him giving up the easy mark as he sees a cooky and fragile thing and who doesn't make sense. And the way he got through to her.

I have seen this twice before and I didn't realize that Nell was so off the deep end. But that look we got when she was looking in the mirror, preening with jewelry A glimpse of the real Marilyn? I wonder how many takes it took to accomplish that final scene. Marilyn was fantastic there. That depleted look on her face, the body language, the turning away from (Anne), the way she said "...somebody entirely else." the way she surrendered the razor, even the elegant way she took the policeman's hand to be led away.>weep<
This is a test. I replied and my comments went away!!!! Yea, what a MESS!!!!

PS: (since my post is still here!), my missing post, which I don't feel like repeating since it might just disappear again, was that I didn't have anything to add since your write-up was solid other than that there was some niffy jazz tinged lounge music and I liked how it was used as background music in the hotel rooms with the intercom system from the bar to the rooms.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

EP Millstone the Megalomaniacal Control Freak here.

I suggest that Lomm lock (close) this topic, because some folks are getting confused by two topics about Noir Alley.

Folks should post Noir Alley topics in NOIR ALLEY.

Furthermore, I suggest creating a Noir Alley topic devoted to a specific movie, e.g., Don't Bother to Knock. That way discussions about a specific movie can be easily found. Otherwise, folks have to wade through the redundant Noir Alley subforum, which bodes to swell to colossal proportions.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

I would recommend going to TCM section of the boards and click on Noir Alley. Hopefully Lomm can lock out the other one.
laffite

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: January 8th, 2023, 2:05 pm EP Millstone the Megalomaniacal Control Freak here.

I suggest that Lomm lock (close) this topic, because some folks are getting confused by two topics about Noir Alley.

Folks should post Noir Alley topics in NOIR ALLEY.

Furthermore, I suggest creating a Noir Alley topic devoted to a specific movie, e.g., Don't Bother to Knock. That way discussions about a specific movie can be easily found. Otherwise, folks have to wade through the redundant Noir Alley subforum, which bodes to swell to colossal proportions.
You mean like the bottomless pit of I JUST WATCHED(?). If that's the proper parallel I agree completely. Those fine reviews are virtually lost in a maelstrom of forgetfulness, a Lethe in a message board.

But it's popular and that often is enough.

:smiley_innocent: