Noir Alley

ElCid

Re: Noir Alley

Post by ElCid »

Watched Tomorrow is Another Day and realized I had seen it before. For some reason I just couldn't get into it as it seemed to drag a lot. Also, some scenes, actions just seemed too implausible. Even in 1951, they just turned him lose without having to see a probation officer/social worker to help get him started? He had been in prison since age 13 on a life sentence.
Thought it interesting that the truck driver left his truck open and the glove compartment with all the keys unlocked as well. Carrying new Ford Motor Co. cars. How far did they go in the truck? Then hopped freights all the way to California?
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

ElCid wrote: May 16th, 2024, 9:24 am Why are people posting about ID channel shows on the Noir Alley thread? Confuses me as I have never heard of these people or their shows.
It gives a whole new meaning to Walter Pidgeon's line, "ID, ID, ID, Monsters from the ID!"
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Could someone explain how Steve found Ruth's brother's house in Jersey so quickly? Roman told him she'd be hiding out there but didn't give him the address.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 2nd, 2024, 3:38 pm Could someone explain how Steve found Ruth's brother's house in Jersey so quickly? Roman told him she'd be hiding out there but didn't give him the address.
I remember, Roman writes address down & gives paper to Cochran :smiley_huh:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

She did?
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 2nd, 2024, 7:18 pmShe did?
She writes down the address at about 28:30 in the film or at 33 minutes on WatchTCM with Eddie's intro.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Is next weeks Alley not a rerun, I hope? I skipped the last 2 wks. I'd seen Tomorrow several times and skipped it. Had seen Bad for Each Other a few months back. Saturdays don't feel the same w/out Noir Alley. :(
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

This coming weekend has the first Noir Alley double feature which is also the TCM premiere of 2 Argentine films:

Never Open That Door (1952)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0184782/

and

If I Should Die Before I Wake (1952)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0184901/
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I had seen the first part of Tomorrow is Another Day before (I'd started it when it was previously on demand, but hadn't finished it by the time it expired), but hadn't seen the rest until now. I think it was quite good.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

cmovieviewer wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 12:32 pm This coming weekend has the first Noir Alley double feature which is also the TCM premiere of 2 Argentine films:

and

Is this a first? (double feature). I'm assuming the films must be short? The titles at least are intriguing!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

cmovieviewer wrote: June 2nd, 2024, 10:58 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 2nd, 2024, 7:18 pmShe did?
She writes down the address at about 28:30 in the film or at 33 minutes on WatchTCM with Eddie's intro.

Thanks!
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

cmovieviewer wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 12:32 pm This coming weekend has the first Noir Alley double feature which is also the TCM premiere of 2 Argentine films:

and

I will try and check these out. Last year I watched 2 Argentinian films both starring Ricardo Darín: The Secret in their Eyes and Nine Queens. Both were quite good, but The Secret in their Eyes was definitely a standout. Sometimes it pops up on Amazon Prime from time to time.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

The two stories in Never Open That Door were both really noir and really good. The set decoration in the first story was incredible; Eddie's comparison with William Cameron Menzies was justified. The nightclub set was good, and then Luisa's house was even more incredible. Stunning cinematography all the way around.

SPOILERISH: The relationship between two characters in the first story was not what I expected. This was good, too.

Eddie compared the two stories in this film to Alfred Hitchcock Presents and The Twilight Zone, which was right on point. The second story, The Hummingbird Comes Home, in addition to having great cinematography and great suspense, shows us how a blind woman experiences life. I couldn't help thinking of the slobbering sentimentality of Samuel Fuller's script for Shockproof, which also involves a blind mother. There's none of that here.

I didn't see If I Should Die Before I Wake, and will appreciate hearing your comments about it.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

kingrat wrote: June 9th, 2024, 11:56 am The two stories in Never Open That Door were both really noir and really good. The set decoration in the first story was incredible; Eddie's comparison with William Cameron Menzies was justified. The nightclub set was good, and then Luisa's house was even more incredible. Stunning cinematography all the way around.

SPOILERISH: The relationship between two characters in the first story was not what I expected. This was good, too.

Eddie compared the two stories in this film to Alfred Hitchcock Presents and The Twilight Zone, which was right on point. The second story, The Hummingbird Comes Home, in addition to having great cinematography and great suspense, shows us how a blind woman experiences life. I couldn't help thinking of the slobbering sentimentality of Samuel Fuller's script for Shockproof, which also involves a blind mother. There's none of that here.

I didn't see If I Should Die Before I Wake, and will appreciate hearing your comments about it.
Being on west coast the show times were right for me to view all 3 stories (If I Should Die Before I Wake, I watched Sunday morning, since it wasn't on to early like it usually is when Eddie is only featuring one film): It was just as good as the other two. Good story, and very suspenseful. What really impressed me was the use of the children. Sometimes children can drag a story down due to being overly sensitive about censor and\or audience concerns (and Eddie hints at this), but that doesn't occur here.

Agree 100% with your comments on both of the first two films. That house in Never Open the Door was a thing of beauty and style that reminded me of some of the US 30s sets typically seen in comedies, or 40s noir films: such classic lines and fine use of open space and well-placed decor. Just stunning.

The endings of all three are first rate and compelling. This had to be one of the best Eddie offerings in years!
Last edited by jamesjazzguitar on June 9th, 2024, 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

One of the many beautiful moments was the shot in Hummingbird of the blind Aunt Rosa and her niece Maria listening to the men upstairs. The camera is shooting up at their faces, which are bathed in light, as the women listen intently to figure out what is going on upstairs.

And yes, the house in the first film displayed not merely wealth, but immaculate good taste.