Noir Alley

laffite

Re: Noir Alley

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: January 25th, 2023, 3:37 pm
laffite wrote: January 25th, 2023, 1:57 pm . . . I am hopelessly deficient in all things Vampire-ish (though i like vamps) . . .
Shhhh! Not so loud! The neighbors might hear.
Well, if I should ever get within spitting distance of real, live, Vamp, I can only hope that it will be in a Pre-Code movie so the neighbors won't care.

Bogie as a Vampire, now that IS a surprise. :director: "Come on now, Humphy, show those fangs."
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
laffite

Post by laffite »

I wonder if ever anyone got cheeky with Bogart and called him "Humphy Dumphy."

Now, now, Mr Bogart. Where is your sense of humor?
laffite

Post by laffite »

laffite wrote: January 25th, 2023, 5:04 pm
EP Millstone wrote: January 25th, 2023, 3:37 pm
laffite wrote: January 25th, 2023, 1:57 pm . . . I am hopelessly deficient in all things Vampire-ish (though i like vamps) . . .
Shhhh! Not so loud! The neighbors might hear.
Well, if I should ever get within spitting distance of real, live, Vamp, I can only hope that it will be in a Pre-Code movie so the neighbors won't care.

"I'll make my Heaven in a lady's lap,
And deck my body in sweet ornaments,
And witch sweet ladies with my words and looks."

Nah, that won't work in a Pre-Code.

Shakespeare ; King Henry VI, Part Two ; Act III Scent ii ; GLOUCESTER (later to become Richard III)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Personally I just love Bogie as a paranoid psycho and he had an impressive list -- THE RETURN OF DR. X, CONFLICT, THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS, TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, IN A LONELY PLACE and THE CAINE MUTINY.
Hoganman1

Post by Hoganman1 »

I'm confused. It appears there are five or six Noir Alley threads on this site. Can the moderators combined them? I'm looking for posts about last night's (1/28) showing which will be aired again at 10:00 this morning. Can someone tell me which of these threads is current? Thanks
laffite

Post by laffite »

Hoganman1 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 8:51 am I'm confused. It appears there are five or six Noir Alley threads on this site. Can the moderators combined them? I'm looking for posts about last night's (1/28) showing which will be aired again at 10:00 this morning. Can someone tell me which of these threads is current? Thanks
I believe this is the current one. It has the most entries. I don't think there are as many as you say. There was a maximum of three at one time and I believe one of them has been deleted, there might be two altogether now. So I think, but yes this has been a confusing issue for awhile now.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hoganman1 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 8:51 am I'm confused. It appears there are five or six Noir Alley threads on this site. Can the moderators combined them? I'm looking for posts about last night's (1/28) showing which will be aired again at 10:00 this morning. Can someone tell me which of these threads is current? Thanks
Use the unread-post option under Quick Links if you want to know what threads are "current" (which I define as having posts that have NOT been read by the user since the last time they were on this forum).

Note that the person who created these multiple Noir Alley threads continues to post on multiple ones, thus making multiple threads "current". I.e. the only way to make a thread "inactive" is for no one to post on it.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Highway 301 — Virginia Grey stole the show, maybe didn’t save it, but the film moved fine for me. 3 points. 1. The radio obsession by Grey was brilliant. Loved the scene where she couldn’t find it and it was under her coat. A regular radio junkie. 2. A perfect way to avoid a drink left undrunk is to spill it. That’s what Grey does when she reaches over while lying in bed and knocks over her leftover over glass of beer turning on that cool radio of hers. That was about the most realistic scene ever. I wonder if that spill was scripted. 3. In the final chase scene one of the male characters sticks his head out the back window of the car to shoot at the cops and his hat flies off. That was cool, and I thought, “Watch, somehow his hat will reappear,”
but NO, his hair is all over the place and his hat was lost forever.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

I tracked down a copy online and watched Highway 301 last night so that I could join in the conversation today, but there doesn't seem to be much this time around.

I enjoyed the movie more than I expected, despite the many flaws. I thought Steve Cochran was a suitably loathsome goon, and I liked that they didn't try to soften or humanize him at all. I loved the sequence in the shadowy night time streets and alleyways as he chased the French/Canadian girl. I was hoping she'd get away. The ending was also a doozy.

Did the host have anything interesting to add in the intro/outro?
Watching until the end.
Andree

Post by Andree »

You know boys, I've been thinking, if this bank robbery thing doesn't work out,
maybe we can form a quintet. Just mull it over. Down by the old mill stream.....

Nice change from returning GIs whose world has been turned upside down or alienated existential outcasts
who can't make their way in the normal world and are likely to succumb to the ravages of fate or chance
not of their own making. These cats are just brutal punks who like to rob banks and shoot people. Basic,
entertaining meat and potatoes noir with some mouthy dames along for the ride. Of course you know
they're going to get it in the end, but who knew Stevie would be both shot full of holes by a machine gun
and run over by a train. Double ouch. A minor disappointment was not seeing Steve in his usual pin-stripped
suit, but that's okay. Very enjoyable overall. An extra kick is a couple of segregationist governors going on
about law and order. You tell 'em, Billy Bob.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LawrenceA wrote: January 29th, 2023, 2:12 pm
...Did the host have anything interesting to add in the intro/outro?
Lawrence, the points Eddie offered up in his wraparounds were of director Andrew L. Stone and his wife Virginia's career of working together to make this film and a few others over the years and that they preferred to work on location instead on movie sets, some of Steve Cochran's life and career and the reason for his getting the lead in this film because of his then recent notable work in the film WHITE HEAT, mentioned some info on the lives and the careers of a few of the supporting actors and actresses as well (although I was kind of surprised he didn't mention Virginia Grey's long and ill-fated romance with Clark Gable), mentioned the film's cinematography done by Carl Guthrie, and that one would be best advised to look past the stilted and pretty much needless opening sequence of the three state governors emphasizing the ol' "Crime does not pay" spiel in order to better enjoy this film.

(...as I recall, anyway)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: January 29th, 2023, 6:04 pm
LawrenceA wrote: January 29th, 2023, 2:12 pm
...Did the host have anything interesting to add in the intro/outro?
Lawrence, the points Eddie offered up in his wraparounds were of director Andrew L. Stone and his wife Virginia's career of working together to make this film and a few others over the years and that they preferred to work on location instead on movie sets, some of Steve Cochran's life and career and the reason for his getting the lead in this film because of his then recent notable work in the film WHITE HEAT, mentioned some info on the lives and the careers of a few of the supporting actors and actresses as well (although I was kind of surprised he didn't mention Virginia Grey's long and ill-fated romance with Clark Gable), mentioned the film's cinematography done by Carl Guthrie, and that one would be best advised to look past the stilted and pretty much needless opening sequence of the three state governors emphasizing the ol' "Crime does not pay" spiel in order to better enjoy this film.

(...as I recall, anyway)
Dargo, did you take a breath at all? Your longest sentence ever? :smilie_happy_thumbup: Move over, Marcel Proust.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Highway 301 was the best Noir Alley in months! I'd never heard of this film. It was an obvious B, but well done. So much better than the A produced dreck they've been showing lately.
MissWonderly

Post by MissWonderly »

Hibi wrote: January 30th, 2023, 5:24 pm Highway 301 was the best Noir Alley in months! I'd never heard of this film. It was an obvious B, but well done. So much better than the A produced dreck they've been showing lately.
I agree, Hibi. I really enjoyed it, and it was a real treat to see a noir that I'd never even heard of before, let alone seen. Never a dull moment. I love the scene where the poor French-Canadian girl ( how come in these old movies Canadians are always French Canadians? No wonder Americans think most Canadians are French-speaking....guess they're a lot more exotic than ordinary Anglo Canadian girls. But I digress...) sorry, anyway, the scene in which she's trying to escape, she knows she's going to be killed if she stays, is so suspenseful ! I honestly didn't know if she was going to make it, and of course, in a way, she didn't , it was only Steve Cochran's poor shooting (how could he miss?) that saved her. But her desperate flight from the apartment to the street to the park to that underground doorway, it's pretty exciting.
Also - I just loved the look of Highway 301 ! Quite a few very beautiful, very noirish, shots. Love the dark alleys and fire-escape stairways.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

MissWonderly wrote: January 30th, 2023, 6:39 pm
Hibi wrote: January 30th, 2023, 5:24 pm Highway 301 was the best Noir Alley in months! I'd never heard of this film. It was an obvious B, but well done. So much better than the A produced dreck they've been showing lately.
I agree, Hibi. I really enjoyed it, and it was a real treat to see a noir that I'd never even heard of before, let alone seen. Never a dull moment. I love the scene where the poor French-Canadian girl ( how come in these old movies Canadians are always French Canadians? No wonder Americans think most Canadians are French-speaking....guess they're a lot more exotic than ordinary Anglo Canadian girls. But I digress...) sorry, anyway, the scene in which she's trying to escape, she knows she's going to be killed if she stays, is so suspenseful ! I honestly didn't know if she was going to make it, and of course, in a way, she didn't , it was only Steve Cochran's poor shooting (how could he miss?) that saved her. But her desperate flight from the apartment to the street to the park to that underground doorway, it's pretty exciting.
Also - I just loved the look of Highway 301 ! Quite a few very beautiful, very noirish, shots. Love the dark alleys and fire-escape stairways.

Yes, there were some great sequences in the film. That was one of them. The hospital at the end was another. I was figuring she'd die like Cochran's girlfriend in the beginning (that got the film off to a violent start!). That sequence was good, too, when she was trying to escape and you were rooting for her. There were some parts that were hard to swallow, but overall a gripping noir and a tight story. I love Steve Cochran. I find him very sexy and he's a perfect noir villain. And LOL to the French Canadian digression! :D