Noir Alley

User avatar
Dargo
Posts: 2576
Joined: October 28th, 2022, 10:37 am

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: March 25th, 2024, 10:09 am
jamesjazzguitar wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 12:28 pm This week Noir Alley features Where Danger Lives (RKO - 1950), featuring Robert Mitchum, Faith Domergue and Claude Rains.

Rather slow moving first half and Rains has very limited screen time but makes the most of it in the best scene in the film with Mitchum and Domergue.
Yes, he's only in that one scene but he makes the most of it.
You two do realize that in this movie Claude is basically doing an abbreviated take on the role he had as the murdered husband in the film 'Deception' with Bette Davis, don't ya?!

(...btw, I still say Faith Domergue had little sex appeal, AND have NO idea what Howard Hughes ever saw in her...well, at least enough "sex appeal" in order to attempt to make her a star, anyway)
User avatar
jamesjazzguitar
Posts: 781
Joined: November 14th, 2022, 2:43 pm

Re: Noir Alley

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: March 25th, 2024, 12:02 pm
Hibi wrote: March 25th, 2024, 10:09 am
jamesjazzguitar wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 12:28 pm This week Noir Alley features Where Danger Lives (RKO - 1950), featuring Robert Mitchum, Faith Domergue and Claude Rains.

Rather slow moving first half and Rains has very limited screen time but makes the most of it in the best scene in the film with Mitchum and Domergue.
Yes, he's only in that one scene but he makes the most of it.
You two do realize that in this movie Claude is basically doing an abbreviated take on the role he had as the murdered husband in the film 'Deception' with Bette Davis, don't ya?!

(...btw, I still say Faith Domergue had little sex appeal, AND have NO idea what Howard Hughes ever saw in her...well, at least enough "sex appeal" in order to attempt to make her a star, anyway)
I find Faith Domergue to be very sexy and sometimes very beautiful. E.g. in the color western Sante Fe Passage - Republic 1954, with John Payne.
User avatar
Dargo
Posts: 2576
Joined: October 28th, 2022, 10:37 am

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: March 25th, 2024, 12:29 pm
I find Faith Domergue to be very sexy and sometimes very beautiful. E.g. in the color western Sante Fe Passage - Republic 1954, with John Payne.
Yeah, I guess I have to admit she's not so bad lookin' in glorious Republic Pictures "Trucolor" here, huh...

Image

AND, when it comes to thinking her as "sexy", it looks like you're not alone in that thought as well James, as it appears there's someone else here who shares your opinion about that...

Image

;)
User avatar
nakanosunplaza
Posts: 205
Joined: December 6th, 2022, 5:25 pm
Location: MONTREAL

Re: Noir Alley

Post by nakanosunplaza »

I still maintain Faith Domergue was not attractive and well below the usual Hughes's standards she was 15 then Terry Moore was also around the same age. I have no problem with your opinion at all !
User avatar
Bronxgirl48
Posts: 1548
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 2:06 am

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Faith was kind of bug-eyed, which I always felt suited her well in the horror/sci-fi genres. (THIS ISLAND EARTH, CULT OF THE COBRA, etc.)
User avatar
Hibi
Posts: 1475
Joined: July 3rd, 2008, 1:22 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: March 25th, 2024, 12:02 pm
Hibi wrote: March 25th, 2024, 10:09 am
jamesjazzguitar wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 12:28 pm This week Noir Alley features Where Danger Lives (RKO - 1950), featuring Robert Mitchum, Faith Domergue and Claude Rains.

Rather slow moving first half and Rains has very limited screen time but makes the most of it in the best scene in the film with Mitchum and Domergue.
Yes, he's only in that one scene but he makes the most of it.
You two do realize that in this movie Claude is basically doing an abbreviated take on the role he had as the murdered husband in the film 'Deception' with Bette Davis, don't ya?!

(...btw, I still say Faith Domergue had little sex appeal, AND have NO idea what Howard Hughes ever saw in her...well, at least enough "sex appeal" in order to attempt to make her a star, anyway)
I hadn't really thought of that. You could say it was related to his role in Notorious too. (The cuckolded part. Poor Claude!)
User avatar
Hibi
Posts: 1475
Joined: July 3rd, 2008, 1:22 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 25th, 2024, 2:01 pm Faith was kind of bug-eyed, which I always felt suited her well in the horror/sci-fi genres. (THIS ISLAND EARTH, CULT OF THE COBRA, etc.)
Yes, true!!! They were sort of blank too. Kind of a deer in the headlights look. Wonder if she was myopic?
User avatar
Hibi
Posts: 1475
Joined: July 3rd, 2008, 1:22 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: March 25th, 2024, 12:44 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: March 25th, 2024, 12:29 pm
I find Faith Domergue to be very sexy and sometimes very beautiful. E.g. in the color western Sante Fe Passage - Republic 1954, with John Payne.
Yeah, I guess I have to admit she's not so bad lookin' in glorious Republic Pictures "Trucolor" here, huh...

Image

AND, when it comes to thinking her as "sexy", it looks like you're not alone in that thought as well James, as it appears there's someone else here who shares your opinion about that...

Image

;)
LOL! I kinda like that SCI FI film.
User avatar
Bronxgirl48
Posts: 1548
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 2:06 am

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: March 25th, 2024, 2:10 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 25th, 2024, 2:01 pm Faith was kind of bug-eyed, which I always felt suited her well in the horror/sci-fi genres. (THIS ISLAND EARTH, CULT OF THE COBRA, etc.)
Yes, true!!! They were sort of blank too. Kind of a deer in the headlights look. Wonder if she was myopic?


Guess we'll never know.

I read that Susan Hayward was blind as a bat w/o glasses but there was certainly nothing vacant about her performances, lol.
User avatar
Hibi
Posts: 1475
Joined: July 3rd, 2008, 1:22 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Hibi »

Yes she was. Before contacs was a thing.
User avatar
Dargo
Posts: 2576
Joined: October 28th, 2022, 10:37 am

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: March 25th, 2024, 2:09 pm
I hadn't really thought of that. You could say it was related to his role in Notorious too. (The cuckolded part. Poor Claude!)
Yep, the only actor I can think of who probably played even more cuckold roles than Claude, would be Herbert Marshall.

(...and you probably remember Marshall playing this kind of role in an AHP episode as well, don't ya...the one where he tells Robert Horton who's cheating with his wife that he's poisoned his drink)
User avatar
Andree
Posts: 708
Joined: January 21st, 2023, 4:24 pm
Location: Balbec

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Andree »

I thought Faith was pretty sexy in this movie. I remember reading once that Hughes put her
away in one of his hideaways and forgot about her until later. Maybe just gossip but with
Hughes who knows. WDL is okay, but nothing very special. One of those one damn thing
after another plots. Bob and Faith couldn't seem to do anything smart on the lam, such
as that awful car deal they made. One of the weaknesses of the movie for me was that
Bob was out of it for much of the second half due to his concussion. Maybe that explains
his not being on top of his noir game. And I'm so innocent that when Rains says that Faith
is not his daughter I thought he was going to say she was his step daughter. I certainly
didn't see wife coming. Faith was also in two episodes of Perry Mason and still looked
pretty good.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
User avatar
Dargo
Posts: 2576
Joined: October 28th, 2022, 10:37 am

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: March 25th, 2024, 4:09 pm ...One of the weaknesses of the movie for me was that
Bob was out of it for much of the second half due to his concussion. Maybe that explains
his not being on top of his noir game.
I'm sure this was all just a plot contrivance in order to explain his lack of good judgement of not initially notifying the police, and due to the film's script at first presenting him as being a clear-thinking individual and as he's usually portrayed in most all of his other noirs.

(...and, to add to a more sympathetic view of his character by the audience as well)
User avatar
Hibi
Posts: 1475
Joined: July 3rd, 2008, 1:22 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: March 25th, 2024, 3:31 pm
Hibi wrote: March 25th, 2024, 2:09 pm
I hadn't really thought of that. You could say it was related to his role in Notorious too. (The cuckolded part. Poor Claude!)
Yep, the only actor I can think of who probably played even more cuckold roles than Claude, would be Herbert Marshall.

(...and you probably remember Marshall playing this kind of role in an AHP episode as well, don't ya...the one where he tells Robert Horton who's cheating with his wife that he's poisoned his drink)
The king of cuckolds! (With good reason. Righteous and boring)
User avatar
Hibi
Posts: 1475
Joined: July 3rd, 2008, 1:22 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: March 25th, 2024, 4:09 pm I thought Faith was pretty sexy in this movie. I remember reading once that Hughes put her
away in one of his hideaways and forgot about her until later. Maybe just gossip but with
Hughes who knows. WDL is okay, but nothing very special. One of those one damn thing
after another plots. Bob and Faith couldn't seem to do anything smart on the lam, such
as that awful car deal they made. One of the weaknesses of the movie for me was that
Bob was out of it for much of the second half due to his concussion. Maybe that explains
his not being on top of his noir game. And I'm so innocent that when Rains says that Faith
is not his daughter I thought he was going to say she was his step daughter. I certainly
didn't see wife coming. Faith was also in two episodes of Perry Mason and still looked
pretty good.
Yes, I've seen both of those Perry Mason episodes. They pop up often.
Post Reply