FORD AT FOX - The Specs

News and Upcoming Releases
MissGoddess

FORD AT FOX - The Specs

Post by MissGoddess »

For those curious how this massive set will really look, here are the specs from dvdbeaver:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie ... at_fox.htm
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I picked up the Film Noir 10-movie collection last summer and, along with a few TV Boxsets, this FORD box set is my largest number of disks.

My poor personality seems to dictate I watch them all at one sitting (hardly ever a good idea), and I find myself burning out by Film 2. That has stigmatized that film but, just this past week, I errantly plugged in one of those "bad" films and rewatched it, and am more dismayed at my Personality Flaws than ever.

Apparently, my Moody Personality ruined THE SEAS BENEATH, because I really enjoyed it - especially since I watched it to the end.

I find that some of these films have overloaded my tastes for character development, often making me write them off as "soap operas". SEAS BENEATH certainly suffered from this initial viewing, and I didn't see the ending.

But it's good final-battle-climax was a lesson in suspense and tension building.

The effects are pathetic, by the way. Simple, obvious, crummy. But when we're on the deck with the rest of the crew, watching the UBoat's cannon belch out fire from the horizon away, and we're waiting waiting waiting for the shell to land at our feet, time after time, I found myself alongside those sailors.

It's a fundamental lesson in Construction of Film Tension: the effects don't have to be great or wonderful. They can be simple. A flash of gunsmoke. A pause. Then the sound of cannon, confirming our visual distance from the gun. And then dead silence as we wait for the shell's landing.

This may be one of those year-long boxsets for me - where I shouldn't bother trying to watch every disk ASAP, but patiently spread them out. I've seen so few of these, and some are SO impressive (THE IMPOSTER). This set might turn out to be "The Best Masters Program In Film History Ever".
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Ollie---it may be a long haul for me to---I hate to rush into the set for some reason and have only watched two films so far! I haven't gotten to The Seas Beneath yet but you make my mouth water! :D Good description of the tension. I hope as you watch each film you'll report on what you think for us.
kimpunkrock

Post by kimpunkrock »

I have the Ford at Fox set and my favorite films so far are:

The seas beneath and
Pilgrimage

I have not watched too many of the films yet but I really am enjoying the set!!!

The reproduction of the programs are really cool.

I love everything about the set. I am glad I have one.

-
kpr
"Wars may come and wars may go but art is forever."---Leslie Howard in the 49th Parallel