Two Mitchell Leisen comedies on DVD

News and Upcoming Releases
Ann Harding

Two Mitchell Leisen comedies on DVD

Post by Ann Harding »

If you are a fan of Mitchell Leisen, two of his best comedies are coming out on DVD on April 22, 2008 from Universal in the US:

Midnight (1939) http://homevideo.universalstudios.com/t ... itleId=961
Easy Living (1937) http://homevideo.universalstudios.com/t ... itleId=484
feaito

Post by feaito »

Wow!! Thanks for the news Christine!!

Truly honestly, these are really must-buy for me. "Midnight" is just superb!!! And "Easy Living" I have never seen, but I yearned for it! Preston Sturges (who scripted both) rocks!
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

AnnHarding, that's the best news I've had all day, despite the fact that it's not quite yet 7:00 am. MIDNIGHT is one of my favorite films of all time and, I think once it becomes widely seen (with the hopes that it does) it's quite likely that MIDNIGHT will take its rightful place as one of the supreme comedies from Hollywood's golden age. An absolutely hilarious, brilliantly written, directed and played film, as the scene featured below readily proves.
[youtube][/youtube]
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I completely agree Dewey! :)
Brackett & Wilder wrote one of the most hilarious script ever. It's always been one of my favourite comedies.

Easy Living which I saw recently on a big screen boast a really funny Preston Sturges script. Some scenes are just wonderful: Jean Arthur and Ray Milland fighting their way in a automated self-service is quite amazing. :lol:
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

AnnH, have you read David Chierichetti's book Mitchell Leisen: Hollywood Director? If not (and I suspect you have) I recommend it highly. Incredibly interesting background on the man and his films. Leisen truly is a director in need of serious re-evaluation. And now that MIDNIGHT and EASY LIVING are slated for DVD release, possibly we will see REMEMBER THE NIGHT (also scripted by Sturges) on DVD sometime soon. I believe it rivals MIDNIGHT as Leisen's finest film.
[youtube][/youtube]
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

No, I haven't. But, I'll definitely look for it. :wink:
Next summer, the Paris cinémathèque organises a full retrospective of Leisen. :D
I can't wait to see some of his rarest films.
So far, I have seen Midnight, Easy Living, Arise My Love, Death Takes a Holiday, Hands Across the Table.

I also recommend James Harvey's fabulous volume 'Romantic Comedy in Hollywood'. There is quite a lot about Leisen in this book.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Being apparently one of only a few to have a VHS of "Easy Living" I am thrilled it is coming on DVD. No one I have introduced it to has ever been disappointed. It is great fun. Jean Arthur having found her stride in this type of comedy is great and some might get a new perspective on Ray Milland. Edward Arnold is at his typical "fat cat" best.

"Midnight" I managed to tape from TV. Colbert is fun. Barrymore is a wonderful surprise. I think people might see a new Don Ameche.

This is great news and long overdue.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
feaito

Post by feaito »

feaito wrote:Wow!! Thanks for the news Christine!!

Truly honestly, these are really must-buy for me. "Midnight" is just superb!!! And "Easy Living" I have never seen, but I yearned for it! Preston Sturges (who scripted both) rocks!
What was I thinking of!! :roll: Sorry for the gaffe, as Christine correctly says, it's Billy Wilder with Charles Brackett who scripted "Midnight"... I most probably mixed it up with "Remember the Night", another jewel I have on VHS, scripted by Sturges.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Ann Harding wrote:No, I haven't. But, I'll definitely look for it. :wink:
Next summer, the Paris cinémathèque organises a full retrospective of Leisen. :D
I can't wait to see some of his rarest films.
So far, I have seen Midnight, Easy Living, Arise My Love, Death Takes a Holiday, Hands Across the Table.

I also recommend James Harvey's fabulous volume 'Romantic Comedy in Hollywood'. There is quite a lot about Leisen in this book.
"Hands Across the Table" & "Death Takes a Holiday" are both excellent! I wonder how it would be like seeing them on the Big Screen. It should be a wonderful experience. I have never seen "Arise my Love".

On the other hand I have Leisen's "No Time For Love" on tape and waiting to be seen!

I second the recommendation regarding the Harvey Book. I read it and it's very enlightening. I also read "Fast-Talking Dames" by Maria Di Battista and while not as good as Harvey's book it was still worthwhile. I have also "The Runaway Bride"- Hollywood Romantic Comedy of the 1930s by Elizabeth Kendall, but have not yet read it.