Griffith masterworks 2

News and Upcoming Releases
Synnove

Griffith masterworks 2

Post by Synnove »

They are including Sally of the Sawdust, Abraham Lincoln, The Struggle, Way Down East and The Avenging Conscience and Griffith: The Father of Film in a new DVD set.

I was excited before I found out what films would be included. Not that the selection is bad, but I would have wished for some earlier films from his glory days, like a restored version of Hearts of the World, or maybe Romance in Happy Valley, instead of some films that are already available in good DVD versions. Still, It looks like an fine set, and the 1993 documentary gets a much needed DVD release.

http://www.kino.com/video/news.php?news_id=67
bdp

Post by bdp »

Guess I can stop trying to do a 'perfect' transfer of the Griffith documentary that I taped from PBS back in the early 90's - yes, it is long overdue for a DVD release. Aside from that it's a disappointing set in my eyes - Hearts of the World, Isn't Life Wonderful, The Sorrows of Satan, Judith of Bethulia, The Love Flower are all worthy of a DVD release (Judith more for historical reasons than anything else) and some of the 'minor' Griffiths like A Romance of Happy Valley, The Girl Who Stayed at Home, and The Greatest Question are short enough that they could be placed in pairs on a single disc. I think we could also use more of the Biographs on DVD. If the silents on this new set have Eric Beheim, Joseph Turin, or Brian Benison on them I will definitely avoid it.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Yes, at least Isn't Life Wonderful would deserve being a part of the masterworks set. And I would love to see more minor films and biograph shorts on DVD. But, you can get the titles of this set individually if you're not interested in it as a whole.